Trolley/cart/wagon

dcfc

Hi all, long time Glastonbury goer but 1st time with my little boy (which I’m so excited about) I need a little advice on a trolley/cart/wagon to push him around in.  I’ve seen loads of ppl with them, I’ve also seen loads of wheels and broken ones along the way, has anyone got 1st hand experience of using one and any recommendations? He’ll be 2 at the time of the festival 

Many thanks in advance 

I've not taken kids, but I have seen parents kit out a wagon like this in blankets and a large sun cover. It's heavier but it's more robust, and you may pick one up cheaper. Apart from narrow gaps at some parts of the site, you'd have enough space to move around easily. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Handy-Garden-Trolley-/254368248708?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

At Wilderness last year, we saw a family with a full sized 12+foot Canadian canoe on a dolly.

They had about 5 kids in it, plus all their chairs, jackets, bags etc and dragged it around the festival site all weekend. Looked like a great solution!

Alternatively, a Thule Chariot, or Burley equivalent are very robust, provide good shelter, able to carry lots of weight, comfortable, manoeuvrable and pack down small for the car.

Expensive, but they hold their price very well so you shouldn't lose much of you buy used and sell on again.

We had a bike trailer a bit like this when our 2 were younger (not at Glastonbury but other festivals).  It was great and I preferred it as it was push rather than pull.

I still have it as I use it for taking my stuff from the car to where I camp

411NVVE18NL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

On 4/6/2022 at 11:50 AM, dondo said:

We had a bike trailer a bit like this when our 2 were younger (not at Glastonbury but other festivals).  It was great and I preferred it as it was push rather than pull.

I still have it as I use it for taking my stuff from the car to where I camp

411NVVE18NL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

That's a good substantial piece of kit !

My days of having a child in tow at Glastonbury are over but ours went from 9 months old to adult. Over those years we had a quite a succession of transport/resting wheeled kit. Some were better than others.

The baby carrier was excellent, then came the Maclaren buggy, great when it wad dry not good in the mud, one or more wheels came off, then we bought a second hand three wheeler buggy more robust than the Maclaren but not as substantial as dondo's bike sidecar above. The three wheeler did ok but at one point the pin attaching the front wheel broke.... top tip .... I replaced it with a tent peg and whacked the unbent end at an angle to secure. Lastly and most disastrously as said child got older we got a fold up wheelbarrow thing. That was a very poor experience and I wouldnt recommend it.

Nowadays you see a lot of parents with those little wagons that remind me of little house on the prairie, they seem very popular but I have no idea where you buy them.

The biggest recommendation I have is not on transport but to definitely spend time in the Kidz field. It's quite a revelation, it's very chilled, the children's entertainment is of very high quality and totally fab from the all day children's caberet tent to the brilliant helta skelta to the excellent craft marquee ( face painting included) and the circus skills marquee, and so much more. All ages of kids are catered for...........and it's a marvellous way to get over the hangover from the night before. 

I'm getting all nostalgic about the kidz field now 🥰

One other recommendation is at the back of the greenpeace field there is another kids bit and further back again is the ancient oak tree, a nice shady spot to rest and there used to be a children's book tent there hopefully it will still be there this year. Worth a visit with children.

It's a totally different festival with kids in tow some things you might miss but others are an unexpected bonus that you will love, I hope you have as brilliant a time as we did.

Definitely get a decent off road buggy with good wheels if you can. We used one of these in 2019 and it was great

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074ZCR33L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Worth every penny to have something reliable and manoeuvrable to push about all day with kid plus stuff, you definitely won't regret it 👍