Jump to content
Hello... I'm Johnny Cash

Electric Vehicle Charging

Recommended Posts

Inside bronze gate, apparently. Leave your keys with them and they'll jockey the cars around to make sure all 10 chargers cover all the vehicles needing charging. 

Wow, very impressed. But not bringing my car...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you were thinking of using the points at morrisons in Wells, those are currently reported as offline according to Zap Map

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, annax said:

If you were thinking of using the points at morrisons in Wells, those are currently reported as offline according to Zap Map

Thanks. Unless I get confirmation from someone with experience of them that says i'm ok to 100% rely on the ones on site i'll be making a slight de-tour to the Ecotricity rapids at Sedgemoore services. 68 mile round trip from there to the festival and back again which I could almost (but not quite) do twice.

 

What happens to the battery if I get stuck in 8 hours of traffic is a bit of an unknown at this stage too, I suspect very little but I think it's best to err on the side of caution...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hello... I'm Johnny Cash said:

Thanks. Unless I get confirmation from someone with experience of them

I've not seen that bit on the website before this year so I think it's new...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone reading this thread next year, the facilities are great! You need to bring your 3 pin charger with you (which thankfully I did, although I almost didn't).

Knowing what I know now I'd say you're fine to rely on them working.

I didn't know if this is official policy or not (I didn't want to question it) but I didn't have to buy a car parking ticket. Assuming it is policy I think it's great that the festival is incentivising low / zero carbon travel :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/06/2017 at 1:17 PM, Hello... I'm Johnny Cash said:

For anyone reading this thread next year, the facilities are great! You need to bring your 3 pin charger with you (which thankfully I did, although I almost didn't).

Knowing what I know now I'd say you're fine to rely on them working.

I didn't know if this is official policy or not (I didn't want to question it) but I didn't have to buy a car parking ticket. Assuming it is policy I think it's great that the festival is incentivising low / zero carbon travel :)

well I have to confess that ' when reading these posts I was not sure if it was a wind up or not ' 

well done the AA

so out of interest - ' how many cars were there ? 

was this a open field ? as I have to wonder what would happen in a wet year.

sounds a great idea but if they are constantly shuffling cars about and its muddy this could all end in tears.

cae1.thumb.jpg.5f22ef1f0d71cee0a3ed402421b0bf7a.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2017 at 8:39 AM, glasto-worker said:

well I have to confess that ' when reading these posts I was not sure if it was a wind up or not ' 

well done the AA

so out of interest - ' how many cars were there ? 

was this a open field ? as I have to wonder what would happen in a wet year.

sounds a great idea but if they are constantly shuffling cars about and its muddy this could all end in tears.

cae1.thumb.jpg.5f22ef1f0d71cee0a3ed402421b0bf7a.jpg

 

 

There were probably about 15 cars.  Juggling the cars about wouldn't be a problem because they had weatherproof extension leads so no need to actually move the cars.

It'll be interesting to see how this progresses because by the time the next festival comes around I'd expect there to be much more than 15 cars. You can't exactly charge 300 cars from a generator...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Hello... I'm Johnny Cash said:

 

There were probably about 15 cars.

It'll be interesting to see how this progresses because by the time the next festival comes around I'd expect there to be much more than 15 cars. You can't exactly charge 300 cars from a generator...

Excellent updates all - ta v much.

I got my Leaf just after this year's festival so it's great to see they are already accommodating EVs. But as you say there'll be a whole more joining the EV revolution between now and June 19 so I'd hope there will be an increased set up in place or faster chargers on site.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fingerbobs said:

Excellent updates all - ta v much.

I got my Leaf just after this year's festival so it's great to see they are already accommodating EVs. But as you say there'll be a whole more joining the EV revolution between now and June 19 so I'd hope there will be an increased set up in place or faster chargers on site.

 

TBH I have to question the viability of charging a large number of cars in a field, it seems like a lot of infrastructure would be required to do it on a much bigger scale than the setup they had this year.

I've had my Leaf long enough now to know that the battery doesn't really go down in stationary traffic, which was my primary concern. Maybe 2-3% an hour with the AC on, less than 1% with it off. 

In other words charging at the festival in the future would be a bonus but even a 24kWh Leaf (mines the 30) easily has enough range to make it to the festival and back from the rapid charger at Sedgemoore services.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hello... I'm Johnny Cash said:

In other words charging at the festival in the future would be a bonus but even a 24kWh Leaf (mines the 30) easily has enough range to make it to the festival and back from the rapid charger at Sedgemoore services.

Just got to hope that the Sedgemoor rapids are behaving themselves which isn't always the case with the Electric Highway. I've already plotted a route from/to London via the old A4 which won't use up as much battery as the M4 and takes in a few chargers along the way so should arrive with at least half a charge. 

Still can't beat a good destination charge though for that extra peace of mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Hello... I'm Johnny Cash said:

the rapid charger at Sedgemoore services.

... that'll be extra busy that day, and you might have to queue for it for hours...?

I'm all for electric cars but I'd never considered the impact that a large-scale event would have on its local charging infrastructure before now, and definitely throws in a few extra problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

 

I'm all for electric cars but I'd never considered the impact that a large-scale event would have on its local charging infrastructure before now, and definitely throws in a few extra problems.

I suspect that before long there will be lorries kitted out with huge generators and fast chargers that will move around to address that problem. 

The EV guys seem to be pretty forward thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, eFestivals said:

... that'll be extra busy that day, and you might have to queue for it for hours...?

I'm all for electric cars but I'd never considered the impact that a large-scale event would have on its local charging infrastructure before now, and definitely throws in a few extra problems.

 

It’s a tricky one to predict because range is increasing at the same time as them becoming more popular...

i.e. There will be more EV’s on the road, but they’ll mostly be starting the day from home with a fully charged battery and the longer the range the less they need to be charged away from home.

With the 130 mile range of my Leaf I maybe have to use a rapid charger once a month, if that. If my range was 350 miles (and that’s already a reality at the high end) I’d probably only ever charge away from home a handful of times in the cars lifetime. I’d definitely have enough juice to go to Glasto and back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

I suspect that before long there will be lorries kitted out with huge generators and fast chargers that will move around to address that problem. 

The EV guys seem to be pretty forward thinking.

Tbh I think that’s an expensive (and not very green) solution to a non existent problem.

I reckon that EV’s with a 350 mile range will be commonplace within a decade meaning that charging up at Glasto will be about as necessary as filling up with petrol on site is now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2017 at 10:00 AM, Sawdusty Surfer said:

I suspect that before long there will be lorries kitted out with huge generators and fast chargers that will move around to address that problem. 

The EV guys seem to be pretty forward thinking.

why would they need to move electricity around on special vehicles when they already have a thing called 'the national grid' for moving that same thing around...? :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×