Travelling by Plane

Tartan_Glasto

So in my quest to find the best way to travel back from Glastonbury, I'm considering flying from Bristol. I'd put my rucksack in the hold, but anyone taken a tent on as hand luggage before? It's just a two man tent so size wise it should be ok. But with the likes of tent pegs and poles etc, do they make an issue of these things with regards to them being considered sharp?

16 hours ago, THEBOILERMAN said:

we are driving down from Glasgow on the Tuesday before and back on the Tuesday morning after if you wanna throw your gear in the van we can transport it for you. Pm me if the offers any good to you.

That's very kind of you bud! I'm sorted on the way down cause just getting the train to London on the Tuesday to meet my mates then we go on Wednesday morning. Depending on what I get sorted for travelling back I may take you up on your offer if that's alright.

15 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Couldn't you very securely attach your tent to your rucksack and send the whole lot in to the hold? 

I did consider that, with some tight bungee cords. I wasn't sure if they'd say no to that though. 

2 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I did consider that, with some tight bungee cords. I wasn't sure if they'd say no to that though. 

I can't see why they would say no, as long as it was thoroughly secured. I guess they may ask you to take it to the Unusual Items Check in Point (or whatever it's called). I was flying to Dublin from Birmingham once and my brother (who was living in Dublin) asked me to bring his shovel and garden fork over (he is the cheekiest fucker I know in terms of his demands). I wrapped them up reasonably well, went to check in and they were fine about it and just said to take it to the Unusual Items Check in Point (or whatever it's called). They might do this with you, but at least it'll all go in to the hold.

Just thought - you could always use your bungee cords first, but also bring a roll or two of Poundland cling film, and wrap up the whole lot, so that it's super secure. Just a thought.

30 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

That's very kind of you bud! I'm sorted on the way down cause just getting the train to London on the Tuesday to meet my mates then we go on Wednesday morning. Depending on what I get sorted for travelling back I may take you up on your offer if that's alright.

No prob, i`ll pm you my number nearer the time just give me a call if you need anything taken back up.

1 hour ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I used to go to a festival in the Czech Republic and had my tent attached to my rucksack and it was fine. If they are funny about it, they usually have those massive rolls of cling film you can use.