Campervan East info

IanBelfast

Hi,

First time at Glasto and staying at Campervan East field, and I've a few questions.

I read there are stand pipes for filling an aquaroll. Are there plenty of these or will there be big queues?

And the same question about the facilities for emptying waste water and portaloo. Should I expect to queue?

I hear you can buy most things at the festival. Does this go as far as caravan gas cylinders? (We use FloGas.) I'm not expecting to run out but it would be good to know if there was an option to buy a refill.

Any advice on what to expect from any regulars much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian

Yes you will probably queue for water but not long, I never saw a queue for waste, you won't be in your caravan enough to empty it will you? As for gas, I'd be very surprised if you can refill on site, make sure it's full before you go.

10 hours ago, IanBelfast said:

Hi,

First time at Glasto and staying at Campervan East field, and I've a few questions.

I read there are stand pipes for filling an aquaroll. Are there plenty of these or will there be big queues?

And the same question about the facilities for emptying waste water and portaloo. Should I expect to queue?

I hear you can buy most things at the festival. Does this go as far as caravan gas cylinders? (We use FloGas.) I'm not expecting to run out but it would be good to know if there was an option to buy a refill.

Any advice on what to expect from any regulars much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian

There can be queues at the refill points depending on when you go. Tuesday afternoon is usually busy as are most mornings before folks go on site. Other times are fairly quiet. I take my aquaroll already filled to save having to fill up when we arrive on the Tuesday, then fill up when it's less busy. 

I've never seen gas for sale...I always take a spare bottle with me.

Edited by Pear_Cider

3 minutes ago, Pear_Cider said:

I've never seen gas for sale...I always take a spare bottle with me.

there used to be a gas wagon that went round the festival site (inside the fence) every day, tho I'm not sure if that still happens since they've cracked down on vehicle movements.

And, I think, I've seen it in the CV fields too .... tho it's not impossible i've imagined that.

Water is provided in or near each field by big blue pipes, to sinks and for aquarolls by plastic taps. The latter are normally about 30-50 yards away from the sinks to space them around the perimeter, and they mostly lie on the floor so if they're not in use, they're not easy to see. Queues depend on the time of day, if you go before 9 you should be ok, but even then it's not that bad.

Waste goes into ground tanks by the toilet blocks and the queues are ok. Each/most fields have toilets, and queues begin from 8 or 8.30 but it's quick, take toilet paper and hand sanitiser.

2 years ago we had to walk from the bottom of one field into the next field to get water or use the loos, but generally facilities are in each field.

I've never seen gas bottles on sale. How much do you normally use? I've got 2 gasflow 12kg(?) bottles in the van and for 2-4 people cooking in the morning, running the fridge and having showers each day, I've never had to switch to the second bottle. Hope that helps.

You will be joining Pylle Lane to get to the inspection field. You'll show your tickets and get a sticker for the windscreen. Either stick it on, or use a plastic sheet to save it for later but it does need displaying. The van will be checked for glass (bottles, containers etc) and any found will be taken, so decant spirits into plastic bottles and take cans. I've got wine glasses as it's our van, not rented, but they've never checked the crockery cupboards, so I've never had an issue (even though I never use these at the festival).

You'll then get directed through the fields to park up somewhere. Get leveled up asap and then you can set up the van and area. You're parked in rows to allow space around you and fire gaps but you'll have space for small tents or canopies.

If you have a flag and pole or fishing rod (I got one on freecycle) put it on your van, with solar fairy lights, or note the flags next to you, then you'll have a marker to find your van each day/night.

Then you'll walk to gate C to get your wrist band, programme etc. There's a secure charity lockup just inside gate C on the left where you can leave anything, so you don't need to lug it back to the van, and a donation is welcomed for this.

On exiting each time, you'll get a small pass out. Keep it as well as your ticket to be able to get back in each time. People have had problems getting back in without it.

Hope you have a great time.

Edited by carlosj

Thanks for the replies. Lots of good information here. We're arriving on the Tuesday so will have plenty of time to get set up and familiar with the place before the gates open on Wednesday.

I've even got my fishing rod and flag ready. The flag is the Breton flag - which is no connection to us at all, but I like it and I'm hoping it will be fairly unusual and therefore easy to find. 

We've got two gas tanks (9kg), so I don't think we will run out. We're used to using electric hook up, and the gas lasts for ever! So not sure what we'll use for fridge and a bit of heating. But if we're on the the second tank sooner than expected we can sacrifice the heat and fridge and make sure we can still shower. :-)

Regarding the levelling, is the site fairly flat or will there be a lot of levelling required? 

3 minutes ago, IanBelfast said:

Regarding the levelling, is the site fairly flat or will there be a lot of levelling required? 

almost all of it needs nothing more than standard chocks - and it's really only the disabled bit now where more might be needed.

I ended up on what's probably the steepest part (not a used field now, I think) about 2 years ago and only had standard yellow plastic chocks, and while the van wasn't completely flat it was flat enough for a comfy sleep (and the fridge still worked great too, which surprised me).

4 hours ago, IanBelfast said:

Thanks for the replies. Lots of good information here. We're arriving on the Tuesday so will have plenty of time to get set up and familiar with the place before the gates open on Wednesday.

I've even got my fishing rod and flag ready. The flag is the Breton flag - which is no connection to us at all, but I like it and I'm hoping it will be fairly unusual and therefore easy to find. 

We've got two gas tanks (9kg), so I don't think we will run out. We're used to using electric hook up, and the gas lasts for ever! So not sure what we'll use for fridge and a bit of heating. But if we're on the the second tank sooner than expected we can sacrifice the heat and fridge and make sure we can still shower. :-)

The fridge doesn't need to be too high, and it'll be boiling in June! Sure you'll be fine.

Ha ha, I've got that flag too, but with the Yorkshire rose and Catalan flag as well. Maybe see you Tuesday night then.

As Neil says, the leveling isn't bad, just standard chocks.

On 22 April 2017 at 9:39 PM, IanBelfast said:

I'll keep an eye out for the Breton/Yorkshire/Catalan combination.

Thanks again.

The site is pretty level although remember its farmers fields not a camping site :-)  I doubt heating will be needed, we've never used it, and you spend so little time in the van, sleep, get up, breakie go , get back early hours  - repeat 

in Tuesday afternoon collect plenty of water in spare containers and store under the van, it saves refilling so much with the queue at the water stands.

instead of a shower we literally fill a washing up bowl with hot water, and strip wash with a sponge down :-) wash hair in the shower area,,, it takes much less water and you still get clean , amazing just how much water you use and waste with th shower going which means more emptying / filling up. You really learn to be resourceful when there's no water and electricity hook up

make sure on Tuesday evening just before sunset you go and sit at the top of the hill, and watch the lights come on across the site, it's truely magical, there's a great atmosphere and feeling of anticipation - we will be there with homemade sloe gin toasting absent friends as we do every year 

oh and we have a jersey flag and a Glastonbury windsock thing on the flagpole :-) 

Edited by Funkyfairy!

Thanks for the tips, the sponge down is a good idea. We've been spoiled for a few years now since we stopped camping and got a caravan, so it'll be back to the past for us.

I've had Glasto on my to do list for a about 10 years, and with various things it was not possible until 2015. So two years of trying to get tickets and failing, and then success for 2017.

Can't wait to get there on the Tuesday and get my first view of the place. And hopefully spot a few familiar flags :-)