Cancelling coach ticket

Mr Benn

1 hour ago, Mr Benn said:

I just called them again to cancel one of the bookings they said it would be ok but I won't know till tomorrow and now I'm worried that they're going to cancel both my bookings :( 

I hope they do, serves you right for being greedy and taking one ticket from someone else who could have got it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, artl said:

What is the "host hack" ?????

I don't remember the exact year, may have been 2010 but anyway, SEE were only pointing the booking page at one of their servers instead of two, I think they cocked up the IP so all traffic was being sent to this one (poor) server & the whole site overloaded.

Some clever sod realised, and very simply anyone who updated their host file (something you ought not to mess with if you don't know what you're doing) you could tell your pc to talk to the other SEE server, which had no traffic & buy tickets. It was as though no one else was trying on ticket day! 

SEE then fixed it so it didn't really help after that, because everyone was then directed to the two servers

Edited by verrymerry

8 minutes ago, verrymerry said:

I don't remember the exact year, may have been 2010 but anyway, SEE were only pointing the booking page at one of their servers instead of two, I think they cocked up the IP so all traffic was being sent to this one (poor) server & the whole site overloaded.

Some clever sod realised, and very simply anyone who updated their host file (something you ought not to mess with if you don't know what you're doing) you could tell your pc to talk to the other SEE server, which had no traffic & buy tickets. It was as though no one else was trying on ticket day! 

SEE then fixed it so it didn't really help after that, because everyone was then directed to the two servers

People did something similar this year. https://www.reddit.com/r/glastonbury/comments/56laku/anyone_found_an_alternative_ip_for_tickets/d8k9as1 (That info presumably originally came from efests somewhere, but I haven't found a thread)

1 minute ago, pjadnoo said:

People did something similar this year. https://www.reddit.com/r/glastonbury/comments/56laku/anyone_found_an_alternative_ip_for_tickets/d8k9as1 (That info presumably originally came from efests somewhere, but I haven't found a thread)

My partner tried but with no luck. I don't know if that's because by the time he saw it too many people were onto it or what, but it didn't help us 

15 minutes ago, verrymerry said:

People were doing it today, theres plenty of references to it in the tickets thread. Havent seen anyone having a dig at those people yet like they are with Mr Benn. So obviously a "not in the spirit of it" cheat is ok when its you and your friends and it helps people on efests, but not when its someone who isnt a mate who goes their own route to get a ticket.

Edited by mrf

17 minutes ago, mrf said:

People were doing it today, theres plenty of references to it in the tickets thread. Havent seen anyone having a dig at those people yet like they are with Mr Benn. So obviously a "not in the spirit of it" cheat is ok when its you and your friends and it helps people on efests, but not when its someone who isnt a mate who goes their own route to get a ticket.

I guess the difference is that buying two tickets is stopping someone else from buying one, the host thing isn't stopping anyone as such, it just makes it easier for the person tinkering in Notepad

But what's done is done, Mr Bens ticket will go back in the pot, and assuming she cancels the coach ticket Glastonbury get £30 of the deposit 

1 hour ago, mrf said:

The difference is those people didn't have tickets and there still wasn't a guarantee of them obtaining said tickets, and if they did it would only be one a piece. Mr Benn on the other hand already had a ticket from the coach sale and then went and purchased another in the general sale, thus basically wasting a ticket that someone else could of had. That is pure greed as they obviously only wanted a general ticket hence looking at cancelling the coach ticket. If they were that desperate to go then just having a ticket from the coach sale should have been enough, regardless of preference. 

1 hour ago, kingjamma said:

The difference is those people didn't have tickets and there still wasn't a guarantee of them obtaining said tickets, and if they did it would only be one a piece. Mr Benn on the other hand already had a ticket from the coach sale and then went and purchased another in the general sale, thus basically wasting a ticket that someone else could of had. That is pure greed as they obviously only wanted a general ticket hence looking at cancelling the coach ticket. If they were that desperate to go then just having a ticket from the coach sale should have been enough, regardless of preference. 

And there was no guarantee that Mr Benn would have got a ticket in either of the sales. Its not pure greed, its one extra ticket.

You could argue that any tickets people bought other than their own using the hack method was denying someone else going the 'in the spirit of things' route of ticket purchase.

At the end of the day, both are ways of guaranteeing the ticket in a way that manipulated the system. If one is acceptable, then surely the other is? At least Mr Benn didnt use a backdoor route that circumvents the process that everyone else trying for tickets had to go. 

3 hours ago, verrymerry said:

I guess the difference is that buying two tickets is stopping someone else from buying one, the host thing isn't stopping anyone as such, it just makes it easier for the person tinkering in Notepad

But what's done is done, Mr Bens ticket will go back in the pot, and assuming she cancels the coach ticket Glastonbury get £30 of the deposit 

But they used a method that meant they didnt have to go through the process of white pages and crashes like everyone else. Theres been an awful lot more tickets purchased that way - and each one of those denied someone who went the 'official' route.

I know its all semantics, but both are ways of ensuring people got there one way or another without sticking to the 'spirit' crap that people keep espousing.

Personally, if either meant people got what they want, so be it. I just dislike the hypocrisy of some posters.

10 minutes ago, mrf said:

But they used a method that meant they didnt have to go through the process of white pages and crashes like everyone else. Theres been an awful lot more tickets purchased that way - and each one of those denied someone who went the 'official' route.

I know its all semantics, but both are ways of ensuring people got there one way or another without sticking to the 'spirit' crap that people keep espousing.

Personally, if either meant people got what they want, so be it. I just dislike the hypocrisy of some posters.

To be fair, I can't really argue with you

25 minutes ago, mrf said:

And there was no guarantee that Mr Benn would have got a ticket in either of the sales. Its not pure greed, its one extra ticket.

You could argue that any tickets people bought other than their own using the hack method was denying someone else going the 'in the spirit of things' route of ticket purchase.

At the end of the day, both are ways of guaranteeing the ticket in a way that manipulated the system. If one is acceptable, then surely the other is? At least Mr Benn didnt use a backdoor route that circumvents the process that everyone else trying for tickets had to go. 

Whilst you aren't wrong in looking at both ways as manipulating the system and not as fair and not putting everyone on equal footing, I see Mr Benn's as worse due to the fact they already had a ticket. They were already guaranteed to be going. That's why I said about pure greed as there was no reason to buy another one.