Lower back pain

rpfranks

8 hours ago, sloseph said:

my best shout would be get a proper camping bed, some actual support while you sleep can do wonders

I've got one like this and my back is so much better at festivals now http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/freedom-trail-camp-bed-4-leg-p321943

the only issue is they do weight a touch more and your average air bed but it's worth it

Seconded. I made the switch a couple years ago and have been banging on about it to anyone who will listen. Amazing the difference it makes.

Same here, only 35.

Stretch in the morning, and again in the afternoon.  Ibuprofen (though not for long stretches).  

If it's gone into spasm, then Valium every night for 3-4 days (can get it from your doctor easily enough) tends to loosen it up perfectly too.

I know this obviously won't be in time for Glastonbury, but for future reference, have a look at buying a rumble roller. I've had quite bad lower to upper and side of my back pain for a good 6 or 7 years. A sports massage has been the best I've had done to it, but using a rumble roller to target the painful areas has been the next best thing, it can sometimes make my problem nowhere near as bad as it is without it. Great for festivals and when I have to stand for a long time. 

As others I have a few stretches a physio gave me a few years ago.  Back pain really is quite specific and a good (private if you can afford it) physio can be a brilliant investment, even for just one session.  It could be caused by an imbalance in your hips, knees, feet anything.

Short term, Voltarol gel is really good.  And keep moving.  It's standing still for long periods that really causes me problems.  Sit, stand, walk, DANCE!  Getting my hips moving helps me keep the muscles in my lower back loose.

I feel your pain. I broke my back in 1995 so I always suffer. Standing still and walking slowly really makes it miserably sore. Massage in the green fields does it wonders but not for long. Bit of a late bit of advice now but for next year work on building up core muscles doing the plank etc. Air bed is better and get up when you wake up. Don't just lie there hoping to get back to sleep. Also the on all fours camel/cat stretch, hopefully your back will click and sooth it

In case this helps anyone for next year, I bought one of these this year, and it was an absolute lifesaver. Good to start my shopping on mobility websites at the age of 30 I feel...

Slipped a couple of discs a few weeks before the festival and was very worried about getting around, and standing up all day. I could use this as a walking stick through the mud, then flipped into a seat for taking a load off. It was just enough to rest my legs and back, but kept me basically at head height, so I could still see and no one was tripping over me in the crowds.

I got the spike end for the stick, which was great in the mud, but if I'd known I'd use it so much, I'd probably have got the non-collapsible stick - occasionally it got stuck in the mud and detached itself (hanging on by the internal elastic), which meant it needed a bit of a yank and a shake to get it to pop back together. I'd wanted something I could pack up if I went dancing later though, and will def be taking this next year when, hopefully, my back's better.

Sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch - I'm a total convert! Also got stopped by several people while I was there asking where I'd got it from. Made quite a lot of friends giving people the chance for a little sit down at various points!