My first timers' review of Glasto 15

greenchicken

It's not worth chucking it in - I mean I can understand for the folks whose stuff is totally ruined but it can be harder surviving the heat like in '10. That festival was ruined for my flatmate, he couldn't leave the shade and that was still tough going.

Suitable footwear, waterproofs including trousers, bin bag to get the lot off and a warm tent and it was fine. Getting about was slow, the mud tiring but you did less - and the atmosphere was great as only the really keen made it to gigs. Felt very crowded and some people got stroppy, but generally you'd all been through the blitz together and had stories to share.

I had a crap year on the whole but for unrelated reasons, when that wasn't in the way had as much fun as any other, just slowly.

2010 was definitely...interesting.  I found it manageable, but a chunk of it was spent hiding wherever I could find shade as I don't do that well in too much heat.  Think I mentioned on another thread that three of us spent 2 hours listening to a lecture on eco-funerals in the Green Fields because we'd found some shade and no-one was moving me without a crowbar.

I think my biggest worry with the mud would be my tent getting flooded.  But then we always camp towards the top of Big Ground, so that shouldn't end up being a problem.  Odds are that I'm going to find out one year!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2010 was definitely...interesting.  I found it manageable, but a chunk of it was spent hiding wherever I could find shade as I don't do that well in too much heat.  Think I mentioned on another thread that three of us spent 2 hours listening to a lecture on eco-funerals in the Green Fields because we'd found some shade and no-one was moving me without a crowbar.

Agreed. 2010 was seriously hard work. We had my five month old son with us which made it especially difficult. On Saturday my GF, a couple of mates and I all fell asleep for about four hours under the big oak tree in the Green Kids field simply because we couldn't face going out in the sun any more. One of my other mates got sunstroke on the first day and spent several hours in the medical tent.

2007 was my first & the rain didn't quite manage to break my spirt, but my BF didn't go in 2008 (he'd done 4 & 5) although he's been every year since

Knfact it was also my friends first in 7 & apart from 10 she's not missed one either. I do think that eventually the rain & mud either forces you to quit, or in our case think "fuck it" and just drink more!

Edited by verrymerry

I always wondered why people on this forum complain so much about 2010, apart from this year all I have experienced is mud & rain or just cloudy weather,didn't get it. Who doesn't want wall to wall sun I thought, they must be mentalists. But now I understand how grim too much sun actually can be. Wednesday was pretty tough going in and being woken up too early drenched in sweat wasn't much fun either. All the poor burnt people too. Felt bad for them. Shows that preparation for all types of weather is so important when going to Glastonbury.

Don't think the rain was much of a problem this year. I noticed how the atmosphere changed. It's so much easier for some people to let themselves go when they are getting wet and splattered in a bit of mud. It's like they start to realise how they look is unimportant and can start being real.

Think I had an amazing time in 05 (camped in Pennards and had a river running through my tent) and 07 (when I realised that Hell isn't fire and brimstone but oozing, gloopy, sticky dripping mud). All a bit blurry though. Needed to get properly wasted to make it through but loved the Blitz spirit of those years. Shows what you are made of.

Charm x

this was my first Glastonbury, and I know I was very lucky with the weather. I was very prepared for anything though, as I spent hours and hours pouring over this site, and twitter etc, learning as much as I possibly could. Don't know how I will cope if I can't go next year

Yup. Unless they spin the it would have been quicker but for technical issues line.

Sadly I think the sub thirty minutes will be par for the course for the foreseeable.

Or they could just announce that they're changing the sales process for this year to give more people a chance.

Although I'd prefer a longer sale I think it's quite likely they'll stick with last year's model - feedback seemed positive on the whole with lots of comments about how easy it was (from those that were successful of course). I think it was in 2013 they asked for feedback on the sale, and if I remember correctly the resale lasted twice as long as the main sale. I'd guess the response from that was that people preferred a faster sale.