what's the deal with tents next to caravans?

thenavyone

I dont really understand this thing about bring able to camp behind the caravan but not next to it? If a pitch is 7m wide and 8m long and I park the 5m long x 3 m wide van on it how much space will I have left for a tent? Sorry if this is an obvious question but I can't work out where the tent can go?

So each row of caravans require a gap so in the event of a fire/evacuation etc there is clear path for them to drive down hence why they ask for tents to go behind them, so that there is a fire path next to them. It's not really enforced tho, we just put tents wherever and never been told to move them.

Hi, pitches aren't really measured or controlled to their size. And my experience is that when you arrive early the stewards are very space conscious and pack you in quite close. The later on, Thursday etc, they realise they've got loads of space to play with and spread you out a bit more.

So you don't really have a pitch to choose how to park your van. Best thing to do is as you're being directed into a space, holler out of the window that you need space for an awning etc and they'll hopefully let you position it / give you the space you want and need. I've always found them to be very friendly and accommodating.

I camped behind a caravan last year. It was fine and there were my tent and a mates next to each other behind a caravan. They don't mind as the spacing is quite large.

The only thing you have to worry about is getting run over on the Sunday night/Monday morning when other caravans are leaving!

Them using the word "behind" is confusing as each van could be parked in opposite directions. You'll be parked up the same way as in any car park, line for traffic, line of vehicles, another line of vehicles, then the next line for traffic.

Just put the tents up in the non-traffic area between the two lines of vehicles, that could be either infront of or behind your actual van, but I expect that their definition has assumed that everyone has reversed into their parking space.

Good question. Will there be enough room for putting up our awning?

yes, providing everything will fit in the defined space for one camper (you'll have to check the official site to see what that is, I can't remember).

I've got a VW T25 with an awning that's approx 3mx3m - and the space is big enough for that.

on this subject, if i'm arriving early tuesday, but plan to leave very early Monday morning, am i going to be able to drive straight out? Or is it going to be completely blocked up with tents etc, leaving me at the mercy of everyone else?

on this subject, if i'm arriving early tuesday, but plan to leave very early Monday morning, am i going to be able to drive straight out? Or is it going to be completely blocked up with tents etc, leaving me at the mercy of everyone else?

In theory you'll be able to get out as there's fire lanes that are kept clear ... but you might need to keep an eye on people around you, just to ensure that no one puts up a tent that blocks you in.

I've always found the marshals pretty on the ball as far as shifting any tents that stray into the traffic lanes between the vans. Just watch out for your neighbours guy ropes as you reverse out of your spot and you'll be fine. You are never more than a 100m or so from a bigger "road" through the field of vans either which will certainly be clear of tents. The bigger problem will be traffic and all the other vans leaving at the same time as you.