Discarded cigarette stubs

Guest Earl Barrett

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one is objecting to special bins particulary , but the ignorant and stupid should still be called out and all these extra things for the ignorant and stupid cost money/resources which the festival could use else where or it ends up increasing the ticket price for those who are not ignorant and stupid enough to leave their rubbish whereever they please.

It just takes a little thought from people.

Edited by LondonTom

I don't think it's really necessary to call people names to be honest. It just makes sense to offer a convenient place to put your fags out.

It's hardly requesting the world on a plate.

I get that it irks people, but I can't relate to all the one-upmanship and the need to refer to other people in such derogatory terms.

I'd bet at least half the people pontificating have probably chucked a cigarette butt on the floor themselves at one time or another.

Progue your post is far too long for me to properly quote from work...

You seem under impression that if special bins with some sand in appear folk will magically use them, this whole fire safe bin thing is a ridiculous distraction. They're all fire safe, that's the point in using those drums.

The problem is informing people - on arrival after god knows how long in a queue and desperate for your tent and a sit is the last possible time and the last believable moment that someone will be wanting to have a chat at the gate with someone about fag butts - just consider the numbers involved and the extra time complicating that process will take

I think this has all got a bit silly with folk here talking as if there's some sort of competing going on - there's not, grow up. Just inconsiderate folk dismissing what they could do to help whatever way they can. No one's claiming to be perfect, just pointing out that the objections and 'difficulties' raised here as excuses for littering are a bit pathetic

Tho if your mummy's done cleaning your room we could check what she thinks

Practical & simple? Carry a tin. Fecking revelation. Send out a five point mini fine guide - don't litter, don't leave your tent, don't stand or hover on toilets, don't use standpipes or sinks like your private bathroom and don't be inconsiderate in crowds with flags or chairs. Sorted

Point is though Frosty...All the "Mummy's done cleaning your room" comments in the world ain't achieving sh1t and nor seemingly is people venting their spleen on here.

Yep it is about some inconsiderate folk and it's also about some who perhaps need something a bit more in their face to remind them to do the right thing.

People are like sheep and they will follow what others do and so if there are visible bins where they can see people are sticking fag butts then some people that who would have otherwise chucked them on the floor will most likely follow suit.

And they are not all fire safe at all...Paper has a tendency to burn when it comes into contact with hot ash and there is plenty of paper in and around the existing bins to present a potential fire risk. Not only that, but it is something that would put a lot of people off using the bins because they may think they are doing the wrong thing by sticking their butts in bins full of combustibles.

Also, they seem to cope handing out bin bags on the gate. I seriously doubt there would be too much inconvenience in asking people do they smoke and then handing them something and saying "the instructions are in the bag".

I get it that it is practical and simple to carry a tin...Well it is if you spend half your life on the efestivals forum and understand the rules of engagement inside out etc, but that doesn't reflect the average punter and therefore you might have to make a few allowances for their lack of Glastonbury etiquette and perhaps help them along the way, giving them the best opportunity to do the right thing.

Likewise with the crown thing...People might not even realise that they are being inconsiderate....I've been going 20 years and I would have never thought of flags as an issue unless I'd had it pointed out to me. Why because they realy don't have any negative impact on me personally...Likewise chairs...I tend to just walk round them and to some extent would feel like I was being inconsiderate or selfish for expecting everyone to feel the same way that I do in any case if I was to be arsey about them....Why would I be it's just someone sat on a chair in a field who I have to slightly adjust my direction of travel to avoid...

So yes I would agree it shouldn't be necessary to wipe peoples arses for them, but some times it makes sense to at least leave a bit of toilet paper knocking about to remind them to wipe their own.

The simple 'problem' is that too many people find it easier to just litter than to be bothered to put whatever in a bin or to take responsibility for the item.

Lazy and thoughtless are two words I might use to describe such people. There is no excuse for littering what so ever. No even a fag butt (I am an ex smoker and never dropped a single butt in 21 years as I carried a tin).

If those on this thread who litter made half the effort to bin things they have made here in making excuses as to why they litter then there would not be a problem.

Interesting values / priorities where abusing a fellow human being for offering a contrasting opinion is OK yet throwing a fag butt on the floor is crime of the century.

As for discarding butt's in the normal bins I'd suggest that is not ideal for 2 reasons.

1. That does not promote the idea of properly disposing of butt's.

2. It requires people to carefully remove the entire lit end and could present a fire hazard.

Providing receptacles around site for the safe disposal of cigarette butts is a very sensible idea.

Edited by stardustjunkie

I was residing in Bushy Ground near to Exit D. We walked down the hill into Silver Hayes most days and at the corner before the lock up there were a group of merry people singing about not littering and putting cigarettes in the bin. I asked if that was a good idea, to ask someone who is possibly high and drunk to be certain their fag is out before putting it in a bin? That could cause fire and untold damage depending on its location. They then gave me a wee white pack with 5 holes in it for butts. I thought they were quality and had never seen these before. Up to then it was cans and bottles and if neither were available I would drop it. I will use those wee things all the time though. Well impressed.

On a side note, the merry singers said that the cigarettes kill the fishes? In the middle of a field? Were they tripping or am I missing something?

Not read the entire thread but they were giving out free portable ashtrays in the naughty corner fag shop, the one just before you get to Heaven and Hell. It was a squishy plasticy pouch thingy.

What did baffle me was the fact my regular brand of fags were significantly cheaper on site than anywhere I can buy them off site ?

The fact that there is no significant campaign from the organisers during the festival, no obvious places to dispose of cigarette butts and no attempt to push the message, then it seems a bit unfair to be overly critical of those people who essentially know no better.

Nope, it's primarily the filters. They're *very* non-biodegradable so will still be hanging around after donkey's years plus they contain no end of nasty chemicals/substances after being 'used' and these quickly leach out into the ground/water. Not entirely sure of the source or indeed the correctness of this ... but I think it's an established fact that 1 used filter in 1 litre of water will kill any freshwater fish that happen to be in said water. May well be an exaggerated claim but either way, dogends all over the place are a total PITA for lots of good reasons and it's a problem fairly easily resolved. Not sure what if any is a 'good' way of dealing with them even if they're collected and disposed of responsibly mind you because ending up in landfill is hardly a good solution either of course !

Edited by mikeb