Discarded cigarette stubs

Guest Earl Barrett

I know smoking isn't for everyone, but considering that there was plenty of advertisements requesting people not to throw their cigarette ends on the floor, where else are they meant to put them?

I was sat outside numerous bars this year, and after having a cigarette I was unsure of where to dispose of the ends. I asked numerous people working in the bars and they told me "just throw them on the floor, there's no ashtrays here".

I ended up just making sure that when I wanted one I'd throw them in the bottom of my can of lager before binning it as there really was no one else to put them.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were stewards coming round with portable cigarette butt holders which you were supposed to empty...however it only held 4 or 5 butts and my smoker friend said they fell out the bottom anyways. They came through the campsites giving them out and asking for donations.

For me this is another case of the organisers sending out mixed messages with regard to their "love the farm" campaign.

I think it would be fair to say that a decent section of smokers on site will not have a clue that chucking their butts on the floor would do any harm at all.

The fact that there is no significant campaign from the organisers during the festival, no obvious places to dispose of cigarette butts and no attempt to push the message, then it seems a bit unfair to be overly critical of those people who essentially know no better.

Maybe having little metal bins around site for cigarette buts? You know the ones outside pubs and that. Might not be practical around the stage areas but it would probably reduce it around the walkways and campsites. Just a thought.

Mine went in my pockets if a bin / empty can wasn't around. I did however forget to discard these when I did come across a bin! So I kept finding stubs in all me pockets when doing my washing when I got back. Found two in my rucksack side pocket Sunday.

I didn't need campaigning from the festival to tell me not to drop them on the floor, surely it's just common sense / courtesy not too..

I'm not really sure it is common sense or courtesy really.

It would be common sense and courtesy if you appreciated the issue...If you didn't, then it would just be the fact you were ignorant of the problem.

People chuck cigarette butts on the floor all the time...It's what people do. If you want to change that behaviour, then you need to be pro-active in doing so.

people chuck cigarette butts on the floor in smoking areas outside pubs and clubs all over the world. They probably wouldn't chuck pint glasses down on the floor after they are finished with them, yet at a festival, a lot of people with throw their empties on the floor, and the cigarette would be second nature. My friend put it best to me when saying about if a cigarette butt gets thrown on the floor, then eaten by a cow, it could affect the quality of that cows milk (or steak if it goes to slaughter, let along affecting the actual health of the cow). Putting it into terms that relate to people's lives when they are back home is the best way to promote correct disposal of waste

I was told by someone that filters from rolling tobacco (what I smoke) actually decompose as they're made differently to the ones on normal cigarettes. Not sure if this is true and it certainly doesn't make it ok to throw it on the ground but just putting it out there. Anyone know if it's true?

Carrying around your butts in a little tin all day???

Are you mental???

Bit like turning up at Fukushima with a dust pan and brush.

Just relax and have a smoke for fucks sake, just like you would at any other festival on Earth.