Sziget 2014

Uncle Liam

If you have the 5 days Pass (no camping) you can enter Sziget from Day 1 to Day 5, from August 13th to August 18th. You can't see QOTSA unless you buy the Day 0 ticket.

That clears things up thanks. I only know 1 QOTSA anyway :biggrin:

I was at Balaton Sound last year, where Calvin Harris also closed the main stage, and to be fair to he did a very enjoyable set and the fireworks over the lake were spectacular.

That sounds a bit more promising.

I actually find it quite difficult to believe that Sziget have booked another dj firework party main stage 'headliner' after the reaction from last year! Feels like they're determined to force the idea onto festival goers, whether they want it or not! It looks to me like they're either trying to mould the format of the festival in a particular way or they have financial constraints (or both), and it doesn't really give me much confidence regarding the rest of the festival line up.

i think there's a case to attribute that to David Guetta though. He himself was awful. And it's just remixes of other tunes really. Whereas at least Calvin Harris has a decent library of his own stuff.

I mean admittedly, I'd much rather see a massive band close out the festival, but better this than Kings of Leon!

Would love The Prodigy to headline, been dying to see them for years, but could never afford/make it when they have played in the u.k. And about the Calvin Harris dispute... David guetta is an awful DJ who thinks the essence of a live show is turning down the music to encourage people to sing and resulting in an awful sounding set. Calvin Harris is as great as it gets for a DJ, top bloke with some awesome songs. I'd prefer Prodigy or something like Arctic Monkeys for the end party (or equal bands) but i know for a fact Calvin Harris will be a sick gig.

that will be a dream but what do you think about Eric Clapton for the lineup?

he confirm for few dates in Europe on late June including Life Festival in Poland

do you think that Sziget even trying to get big acts like that? (Young,Bowie,Dylan,Rolling Stones)

Edited by amfest12

You know, I think I'd give that one a miss:

I used to be into dope, now I’m into racism. It’s much heavier, man. Fucking wogs, man. Fucking Saudis taking over London. Bastard wogs. Britain is becoming overcrowded and Enoch will stop it and send them all back. The black wogs and coons and Arabs and fucking Jamaicans and fucking [indecipherable] don’t belong here, we don’t want them here. This is England, this is a white country, we don’t want any black wogs and coons living here. We need to make clear to them they are not welcome. England is for white people, man. We are a white country. I don’t want fucking wogs living next to me with their standards. This is Great Britain, a white country, what is happening to us, for fuck's sake? We need to vote for Enoch Powell, he’s a great man, speaking truth. Vote for Enoch, he’s our man, he’s on our side, he’ll look after us. I want all of you here to vote for Enoch, support him, he’s on our side. Enoch for Prime Minister! Throw the wogs out! Keep Britain white!

Updated list of acts around in August:

In Europe during Sziget:
- Blink 182 (Chiemsee Summer, Frequency, Highfield)

- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (Chiemsee Summer, Highfield)

- Seeed (Chiemsee Summer)

- Jimmy Cliff (Chiemsee Summer)

- Paul Kalkbrenner (Chiemsee Summer)

- Carcass (Summer Breeze)

- Machine Head (Summer Breeze)

- Arch Enemy (Summer Breeze, Alt-Fest)

- Biohazard (Summer Breeze)

- Children of Bodom (Summer Breeze)

- Ignite (Summer Breeze)

- Skrillex (Frequency, Lowlands)

- Jimmy Eat World (Frequency, Highfield)

- Ska-P (Frequency)

- Parov Stelar (Frequency)

- Wilkinson (Frequency)

- Converge (Highfield)

- Beatsteaks (Highfield, Rock N Heim)

- Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls (Highfield)

- The Levellers (Beautiful Days)

- Kakkmaddafakka (Dockville)

- Olafur Arnalds (Dockville)

- Hardwell (Rock Oz' Arenes)

- Five Finger Death Punch (Kubana)

- The Hives (Kubana)

- Hardcore Superstar (Kubana)

- The Real McKenzies (Kubana)
- Millencolin (Kubana)

- NOFX (Serengeti)

- Guano Apes (Serengeti)

- Mando Diao (Lowlands)

- The Cat Empire (Lowlands)

- James Holden (Lowlands)

- Red Fang (Lowlands)

- Gregory Porter (Lowlands)

- Fink (Lowlands)

- The Skints (Lowlands)

- Bassekou Kouyaté & Ngoni Ba (Lowlands)

- Marilyn Manson (Alt-Fest)

- Front 242 (Alt-Fest)

- Killing Joke (Alt-Fest)

- Peter Hook & The Light (Alt-Fest)

- The Cult (Alt-Fest)

- Cradle Of Filth (Alt-Fest)

- The Prodigy (Rock N Heim)

- Die Fantastischen Vier (Rock N Heim)

- Billy Talent (Rock N Heim)

- Deadmau5 (Rock N Heim)

- Fritz Kalkbrenner (Rock N Heim)

- Deichkind (Rock N Heim)

In Europe shortly before or after Sziget:

- Status Quo (See Rock, Start In Town)

- Uriah Heep (See Rock, Stars In Town)

- Twisted Sister (See Rock)

- In Extremo (See Rock)

- Airbourne (See Rock, Getaway Rock)

- The BossHoss (See Rock)

- Scorpions (See Rock)

- Dimmu Borgir (See Rock, Getaway Rock)

- Sabaton (See Rock)

- Neil Young & Crazy Horse (Lokerse Feesten)

- Megadeth (Skogsröjet, Bloodstock)

- Billy Bragg (Dranouter)

- Röyksopp (Oya)

- Robyn (Oya)

- Neutral Milk Hotel (Oya)

- The National (Oya)

- Amon Amarth (Brutal Assault, Bloodstock)

- Bring Me The Horizon (Brutal Assault)

- My Dying Bride (Brutal Assault)

- Obituary (Brutal Assault)

- August Burns Red (Brutal Assault, Punk Rock Holiday)

- Amy McDonald (Stars In Town)

- Simple Minds (Smukkeste)

- The 1975 (Smukkeste)

- Pet Shop Boys (Smukkeste)

- Carpark North (Smukkeste)

- The Rasmus (Smukkeste)

- Enter Shikari (Open Flair, Rocco Del Schlacko, Taubertal)

- Opeth (Getaway Rock)

- Volbeat (Getaway Rock)

- Hatebreed (Bloodstock)

- Saxon (Bloodstock)

- Fatboy Slim (SonneMondSterne)

- Steve Aoki (SonneMondSterne, Lake Festival)

- Modestep (SonneMondSterne)

- The Bloody Beetroots (SonneMondSterne)

- Netsky (SonneMondSterne)

- Klangkarussell (SonneMondSterne)

- Mr. Oizo (SonneMondSterne)

- Oliver Koletzki (SonneMondSterne)

- Frittenbude (SonneMondSterne)

- Subway To Sally (M'era Luna)

- Paradise Lost (M'era Luna)

- Metronomy (Leeds, Reading)

- Jake Bugg (Leeds, Reading)

- Disclosure (Leeds, Reading)

- Of Mice & Men (Leeds, Reading)

- I Am Legion (Leeds, Reading)

- David Guetta (Lake Festival)

- Steve Angello (Lake Festival)

- Joachim Garraud (Lake Festival)

- Azealia Banks (Arenal Sound)

- Knife Party (Arenal Sound)

- Boys Noize (Arenal Sound)

- Miles Kane (Arenal Sound)

- The Wombats (Arenal Sound)

- Crystal Fighters (Arenal Sound)

- Skip & Die (Arenal Sound)

- Fun Lovin' Criminal (Lake Fest)

- Lee 'Scratch' Perry (Lake Fest)

- Snap! (Lake Fest)

- Avicii (Hamburger Kultursommer)

- Alpha Blondy (Sunsplash)

- Gentleman (Sunsplash)

- Sick Of It All (Punk Rock Holiday)

- SNFU (Punk Rock Holiday, Rebellion Festival, Ieperfest)

- UK Subs (Rebellion Festival)

- Sportfreunde Stiller (Taubertal)

• Upvote 1

Do we actually know the headliners though??? Its Confirmed Calvin Harris is doing the closing ceremony (1), my guess is placebo are a headline? (2) Queens are day 0 so we wont count that to begin with, but I have seen a post that claims Stormae is a headliner?? not to be rude, but ive never heard of the guy. Any confirm or deny this?

I'm thinking of going to Sziget festival this year but I am not sure wether or not to camp or get an apartment,I went to Benicassim in 2006 and the camping was horendus,it was far too hot to sleep,so I don't want to make the same mistake again,so is the camping bad or good or should I just get an apartment?

Also can anyone recommend any other festivals in eastern Europe either a week or so before Sziget or even afterwards I could go to? I'm thinking of travelling around eastern Europe for a month

Cheers for your pearls.

Also can anyone recommend any other festivals in eastern Europe either a week or so before Sziget or even afterwards I could go to? I'm thinking of travelling around eastern Europe for a month

Cheers for your pearls.

You can try this map http://www.festivalsearcher.com/festivalsmap.aspx It is not updated for this year yet but you can find most of the festivals and they are ordered by the date and size.

Do we actually know the headliners though??? Its Confirmed Calvin Harris is doing the closing ceremony (1), my guess is placebo are a headline? (2) Queens are day 0 so we wont count that to begin with, but I have seen a post that claims Stormae is a headliner?? not to be rude, but ive never heard of the guy. Any confirm or deny this?

I don't think Stromae is a headliner. Placebo probably is, but I haven't seen any confirmation of this yet.

I'm thinking of going to Sziget festival this year but I am not sure wether or not to camp or get an apartment,I went to Benicassim in 2006 and the camping was horendus,it was far too hot to sleep,so I don't want to make the same mistake again,so is the camping bad or good or should I just get an apartment?

Cheers for your pearls.

It can be pretty hot in Budapest too, but there is a lot of shade. I sometimes slept until after 1PM last year despite temperatures around 35 degrees.

Maybe the new festivals at Lake Balaton that come right after Sziget? I read something about them last year, I believe they're called Strand and BmyLake.

After Mika, discount nothing.

Stromae is very popular in continental Europe, he's from Belgium and the majority of people at this festival are Dutch. So he could be a headliner.

However, on the poster released last week he was below Bastille and Imagine Dragons, and on the same level as Klaxons.

So late on in the A-38 is more likely.

Thanks for the replies guys,It dosen't look like there's much going on apart from Sziget around that time,I might be better off travelling the month of July

July is definitely better. I would recommend Open'er in Poland and Pohoda in Slovakia. Popular choices are Exit in Srbia, Balaton sound Hungary and Melt! In Germany. It depends on what music you like.

Open'er, the festival where you're not allowed to drink a beer while watching a concert? :girlhaha:

A pity Terraneo (Croatia) and Spirit of Burgas (Bulgaria) haven't announced anything yet, not even their dates! If they're in the two weeks before Sziget as I expect and I can get the time off from work, I might even go there too!

Open'er, the festival where you're not allowed to drink a beer while watching a concert? :girlhaha:

This is actually plus less drunk rude people. I don't drink at festivals so it's not problem for me. What I like at the opener is the insanely great sound at stages they have the best sound engineers I think, great line up, and atmosphere is really nice too :)

There is alcohol prohibition law in Poland, so I would not blame festival for this. These are really different festivals it's not fair to compare them. I've never been to sziget their lineup there was never worth the money they are asking for ticket but this is subjective.

can anyone recommend any other festivals in eastern Europe either a week or so before Sziget or even afterwards I could go to? I'm thinking of travelling around eastern Europe for a month

B.my.Lake is a new festival from the same team behind Sziget. It's billed as the Sziget afterparty, and takes place by Lake Balaton so only a few hours from Budapest. It also won Best New Festival at the European Festival Awards earlier this month, so might be worth a look.

Derm B)

After Mika, discount nothing.

Stromae is very popular in continental Europe, he's from Belgium and the majority of people at this festival are Dutch. So he could be a headliner.

However, on the poster released last week he was below Bastille and Imagine Dragons, and on the same level as Klaxons.

So late on in the A-38 is more likely.

I'm pretty certain that Stromae won't be a headliner. He may be Belgian, but is actually from Wallonia, the French speaking part, rather than the Dutch speaking part (Flanders). So I'm not sure he'll be all that popular with the Dutch crowd. He is playing the Dutch festival Pinkpop, but itsn't a headliner there, so I'd be very surprised if he headlines Sziget.

There is alcohol prohibition law in Poland, so I would not blame festival for this. These are really different festivals it's not fair to compare them. I've never been to sziget their lineup there was never worth the money they are asking for ticket but this is subjective.

I don't blame Open'er for it, but that doesn't change anything. It still means no beer at the concerts.

I agree both are really different festivals. Sziget is the kind of festival that is a great experience no matter what the line up is like, because it has so many different qualities. Line up is only one of them and it's still fairly good, especially if you're into discovering smaller bands from all over Europe / the world. I believe Open'er strongly depends on its line up (especially its headliners), because all the rest I heard about that festival was not that good.