2013 V Festival Awards

Guest Zac Quinn

Thought we could do a simple awards type thing to review the fest

Probably best to start by saying which site you were at and list who you saw :)

Then suggestions for categories:

Best act:

Most enjoyable act:

Best singalong moment:

Memorable moment:

Act you didn't think you'd like as much as you did:

Best crowd:

Most up themselves act:

Biggest letdown:

Act you're gutted you missed:

Clash you wish you went the other way on:

Rating for your musical V experience:

Edited by Zac Quinn

I'll start:

V Festival 2013 Awards

Which site you were at: Stafford

Who you saw: Scouting for Girls, Laura Mvula, Everything Everything, McFly, The Vaccines, Emeli Sande, Rita Ora, Jamie Cullum, The Fratellis, Shappi Khorsandi, Eddie Izzard, Nell Bryden, Paloma Faith, Two Door Cinema Club, Jessie J, The Script, Beyoncé

Best act: Jamie Cullum

Most enjoyable act: The Script (Danny singing down the phone to that guy is one of the highlights of my life)

Best singalong: Beneath Your Beautiful, Emeli Sande

Memorable moment: when Beyoncé came out. Just unreal noise.

Act you didn't think you'd like as much as you did: Everything Everything

Best crowd: McFly

Least enjoyable act: The Vaccines

Biggest letdown: Beyoncé

Act you're gutted you missed: Stereophonics. We saw Rita Ora instead and it was one of the least pleasant experiences of my entire life. Nothing personal to Rita, just the crowd waiting for Calvin were horrendous.

Clash you wish you went the other way on: Seeing Rita instead of the Phonics.

Rating for your musical V experience: 7/10

Edited by Zac Quinn

Where?: Hylands

Who? Pigeon Detectives, Conor Maynard, Eddy Brimson, Katherine Ryan, Eddie Izzard, Mark Owen, Two Door Cinema Club, Jessie J, The Script, Beyonce, Original Rudeboys, 5ive, John Newman, Jason Mraz, Fredrik Anderson, Jon Richardson, McFly, Lucy Spraggan, Princess Emeli, Ellie Goulding, Rita Ora, Calvin Harris

Best act: 5IVE!

Most enjoyable act: 5ive (this is becoming a common thing)

Best singalong moment: 5ive - Keep On Movin

Memorable moment: Meeting Eddie Izzard, really surreal

Act you didn't think you'd like as much as you did: Calvin Harris, was with a load of people a the side of the stage and we were all loving it aha (and Rita Ora too, she was better)

Best crowd: 5ive ;), honestly the crowd was incredible

Most up themselves act: I don't really have anyone who was stuck up, but if any one, Ellie Goulding :(

Biggest letdown: Ellie Goulding :(

Act you're gutted you missed: Fun.

Clash you wish you went the other way on: I don't have that about anyone, but I wish Fun. and The Script hadn't clashed

Rating for your musical V experience: 9/10

Edited by Pothuthic

Best act: Ocean Colour Scene

Most enjoyable act: Basement Jaxx

Best singalong moment: Day We Caught The Train - Ocean Colour Scene (continued long after they'd gone off stage)

Memorable moment: Sunset during Stereophonics

Act you didn't think you'd like as much as you did: Olly Murs

Best crowd: Ocean Colour Scene/Stereophonics

Most up themselves act: Mmmmm...... Can't comment as I didn't wait around for Beyonce

Biggest letdown: thought Two Door Cinema club were very lacklustre

Act you're gutted you missed: Leanne La Havas

Clash you wish you went the other way on: Leanne La Havas instead of Rudimental (only because of the crowd)

Rating for your musical V experience: 7.5

Edited by Bunny

Site: Hylands

Best act: Travis

Most enjoyable act: 5ive

Best singalong moment: 5ive

Memorable moment: 3 man/girl tower we managed during 5ive!

Act you didn't think you'd like as much as you did:

Best crowd: Steve Angello

Most up themselves act: N/A

Biggest letdown: Katy B

Act you're gutted you missed: The Vaccines

Clash you wish you went the other way on: N/.A

Best act: The Script

Most enjoyable act: The Script

Best singalong moment: Jessie J - I dont want to miss a thing / Emeli Sande - see beneath you're beautiful

Memorable moment: The Script - Goodbye arsehole!

Act you didn't think you'd like as much as you did: Olly Murs

Best crowd: Emeli Sande

Most up themselves act: Beyonce

Biggest letdown: Beyonce - just too 'staged' and perfected for my liking.

Act you're gutted you missed: Travis

Clash you wish you went the other way on: Ocean colour scene instead of Beyonce

Rating for your musical V experience: 7.5

I was at Weston,

Best act: Lots, KoL, Maximo, Skelly, Courteeners

Most enjoyable act: Mark Owen

Best singalong moment: Why does it always rain on me?

Memorable moment: Embarrassing myself by going hiya! in Stephen Graham's face

Act you didn't think you'd like as much as you did: fun.

Best crowd: 5ive

Most up themselves act: The Rev but it wouldn't be the same if he wasn't

Biggest letdown: Jason Mraz

Act you're gutted you missed: Rudimental

Clash you wish you went the other way on: Tom Odell instead of boring Mraz

Rating for your musical V experience: 8

Edited by Boris The Spider

Actually add Pigeons and Original Rudeboys to my biggest surprise, both were surprisingly good

I knew pigeons were rockers, but had no clue who ORB were, I was sitting there thinking "Rap, Rocker, pop? What are they" lol.

Turned out they were rap but rock too xD guys from Ireland, seemed pretty chuffed to be there

Where: Weston

Acts: Scouting for Girls, Reverend and the Makers, Jason Mraz, Everything Everything, The Vaccines, Maximo Park, End of Emili Sande,Stereophonics, Kings of Leon, Fratellis, Gabrielle Aplin, James, Paloma Faith, Two Door Cinema Club, Travis, Fun, Courteeners, Ocean Colour Scene

Best act: Difficult to choose - between Stereophonics, Kings of Leon and OCS

Most enjoyable act: Stereophonics - crowd were great for the big ones, and the new stuff (for me anyway) sounded great

Best singalong moment: So many to choose from, but the double shot of Not Nineteen Forever and What Took You So Long by Courteeners was immense as always

Memorable moment: Its between the huge reaction for Travis, the love of the crowd for the band and their reaction after Flowers in the Window was pretty special. Close runners are Stereophonics breaking into Local Boy second, and getting one of those unexpected emotional/goosebumps moments during Gabrielle Aplin doing that Power of Love cover.

Act you didn't think you'd like as much as you did: Gabrielle Aplin - stunning voice, great manner with the crowd, generally she just seems amazing. Paloma Faith too - love the music but wasn't 100% if she'd be good live.

Best crowd: Courteeners. Always. Special mention to the Two Door crowd, way way better than I've experienced at any of their other gigs. Band said as much about other festival crowds too.

Most up themselves act: Didn't find any that i saw to be like that

Biggest letdown: Jason Mraz - he was terrible

Act you're gutted you missed: Emeli Sande - heard the last song and realised there were a lot of singalong bits so I should've just stayed there after the Vaccines instead of going off to Maximo Park for a perfectly competent but very bog standard MP set.

Clash you wish you went the other way on: Fratellis/Pigeon Detectives in retrospect. Bizarre decision putting both on at the same time considering they would generally attract the same people if they were on at separate times, Im a bit of a 2006-2007 indie guy and was torn, but went for Fratellis as I;d not seen them before and had seen Pigeons. Fratellis were a bit boring and crowd was flat so should've headed over to 4Music instead. Wasn';t to know though.

Rating for your musical V experience: 9.5 (if Courteeners had played The Opener, Travis had done Driftwood and Stereophonics had done a couple more big-uns it'd have been a 10!)

Edited by efcfanwirral

Hylands

Sat: Pigeon Detectives, Silouette, Gabrielle Aplin, Netsky, Maverick Sabre, Two Door, Labrinth (Begining of set), Travis, Idris Elba, Courteeners, Steve Angello

Sun: Original Rude Boys, The Heavy, Rev and the makers, Everything Everything (1st half), Seasick Steve, Rudamental, Maximo Park, Phonics, KOL/Calvin Harris split.

Best act: Stereophonics

Most enjoyable act: Stereophonics

Best singalong moment: Travis

Memorable moment: Gotta agree with Bunny here. Phonics and the sun set.

Act you didn't think you'd like as much as you did: Original Rude Boys/Everything Everything

Best crowd: Seasick Steve

Most up themselves act: Idris Elba

Biggest letdown: Calvin Harris and Travis not having long enough (Driftwood and Writing to Reach you were missed)

Act you're gutted you missed: OCS

Clash you wish you went the other way on: None happy with my choices

Rating for your musical V experience: 7/10

At Stafford in the campervan area.

I saw...all of The Saturdays, Scouting for Girls, Tom Odell, Rudimental, Rita Ora, Basement Jaxx, Andrew O'Neill and Eddie Brimson (some of Paul Chowdhry) all comedy, Silouette, James, Paloma faith, Jessie J, The Script and Beyonce. Some of Ellie Goulding, Jaguar Skills, GLC and Vox Empire.

Best Act: Hard to choose for me, but it has to go to Beyonce. Biggest pop act around like it or not, brought a real stage show to the festival scene and gave her usual great performance.

Most enjoyable act: For me Rudimental. Really love the album 'home', think they bring so much energy to a show and a great live dance act. I had no issues with the crowd towards the front.

Best singalong moment: Irreplaceable during Beyonce, crowd song so much, so loud, even though I didn't know all the words, great hearing the people who did.

Memorable moment: So many, but during Halo for Beyonce, close of the festival for us, me, my brother and sister clenched hands for a bit of a sing song, quality family time :).

Act you didn't think you'd like as much as you did: Rita Ora. I really like her album, but in the past was not sure live, but she really impressed me, her, Jessie J and Paloma faith were excellent in different ways i.e. singing and performing styles.

Best crowd: Guess it is subjective where you were in the crowd, thought it was a real good bunch for Basement Jaxx, some proper old school moves going down.

Most up themselves act: The Script, sorry why do they think anyone would be bothered about them phoning up someones ex to sing to them? Also this stuff about "we were here at v fest camping five years ago", so what? No doubt sortof true, but Danny O'Donoghue fails to mention he's been signed to Universal Records in 1999, lived in LA etc, I hardly imagine him in red camp shouting "Alan" all night?

Biggest letdown: Ellie Goulding. She never ever seems to get the sound right at any concert, to the degree where I'm now thinking she does it just to mask her bad signing behind the band.

Act you're gutted you missed: Wanted to see Maximo Park, but at that stage needed to meet up for something to eat so just too much was going on.

Clash you wish you went the other way on: Looking back I would go see Laura Mvula instead of Tom Odell.

Rating for your musical V experience: Overall 9/10. Really enjoyed the weekend, basically works out seeing each act for £10 and that has to be value for a weekend. Staff there were good, saw no trouble, toilets ok, weather was good for us, bit of a wait to get in and out, but a great weekend from my perspective.

Edited by Rusco

Which site you were at: Weston Park

Who you saw: The Saturdays, Scouting for Girls, Everything Everything, McFly, Jon Richardson, a bit of Rudimental, a bit of The Vaccines, Emeli Sande, Ellie Goulding, Lewis Watson, Rita Ora, Calvin Harris, Kings of Leon, Nina Nesbitt, Netsky, Paloma Faith, Two Door Cinema Club, Jessie J, The Script, Beyoncé

Best act: Paloma Faith/Mcfly were brilliant

Most enjoyable act: Two Door Cinema Club/Scouting for Girls/Everything Everything/Mcfly- I can't decide!

Best singalong: every Scouting for Girls song, and Beyoncé's irreplaceable

Memorable moment: Staring at a boy in the Mcfly crowd for so long because I could have sworn he was Lewis Watson, causing him to look a bit uncomfortable so I thought nahhh it can't be. Then we went to see Lewis Watson later that day and he talked about how amazing Mcfly were! I knew it was him!

Act you didn't think you'd like as much as you did: Paloma Faith

Best crowd: Two Door Cinema Club

Most up themselves act: Beyoncé?

Least enjoyable act: Rudimental- they were alright but we left when a drunk old man starting pissing on the ground right next to us

Biggest letdown: Beyoncé (just because she was late and didn't look that excited)

Act you're gutted you missed: Of Monsters and Men, Steve Angello, Gabrielle Aplin, Fun, Basement Jaxx

Clash you wish you went the other way on: none!

Rating for your musical V experience: 9/10 - overall it was fantastic :preved:

Best act: Travis/Of Monsters And Men/Jaguar Skills

Most enjoyable act:

Best singalong moment: Travis - Turn

Memorable moment: The Travis lads getting a wee bit emotional with the reception they got after 'Flowers in the Window'.

Act you didn't think you'd like as much as you did: Possibly Lucy Spraggan, she was pretty good, very enjoyable.

Best crowd: Travis

Most up themselves act: I like DJ Fresh and I know what to expect live but his MC was doing my head in.

Biggest letdown: I'm actually gutted to write this as I've seen her several times but I have to say Ellie Goulding. On these large stages you just cannot hear her. Her voice just doesn't seem strong enough, especially with her new dance sound and an even more hyped up crowd.

Act you're gutted you missed: Fratellis. Never seen them live, have always wanted to.

Clash you wish you went the other way on:

Rating for your musical V experience: 8/10

Edited by Scottish Stu

I was at Weston,

Best act: Travis

Most enjoyable act: Reverend and the Makers

Best singalong moment: What took you so long

Memorable moment: Travis after Flowers in the Window, even I felt a lump in me throat

Act you didn't think you'd like as much as you did: James

Best crowd: Travis or courteeners

Most up themselves act: Bloody Bonce

Biggest letdown: Deacon Blue

Act you're gutted you missed: Everything Everything

Clash you wish you went the other way on: Thought it would've been fratellis over pigeon detectives but from what I've been told, and from previous experience, the fratellis were shit

Rating for your musical V experience: 6 Not as good as previous years, more the line up than band performances though

Westonnnnnnn

Best act: Laura Mvula

Most enjoyable act: The Script

Best singalong moment: Same as Zac, Beneath Your Beautiful

Memorable moment: sunset again but this time during The Script

Act you didn't think you'd like as much as you did: The Script

Best crowd: Emeli Sande

Most up themselves act: The Saturdays. Sheerly for having the audacity to turn up at anything other than the comedy stage.

Biggest letdown: Beyoncé

Act you're gutted you missed: Josh Widdicombe

Clash you wish you went the other way on: chose to eat dinner instead of the Phonics

Rating for your musical V experience: 7

Weston

Best act: Everything Everything - great live act and a genuinely nice bunch of blokes too.

Most enjoyable act: eels - the songs were great but the individual hugs for band members between songs was fun - as was the group hug at the end of the set

Best singalong moment: Dignity by Deacon Blue in the Sunday sunshine (but how old does Ricky Ross look now!)

Memorable moment: doing the conga in the comedy tent with Justin Moorhouse

Act you didn't think you'd like as much as you did: Idris Elba - thought he might just be "playing" as a DJ but he can't half manage a set of decks.

Best crowd: pigeon detectives - first act on a Sunday is normally dull but mixture of bands attitude and crowd interaction made it on of the best sets of the weekend

Most up themselves act: Not up herself as such but didn't really get the Beyonce set - more MTV than festival and more crowd interaction less costume changes would be good. Only saw four songs and three outfits then went to see Ocean Colour Scene

Biggest letdown: admittedly i'd got to the "tired and emotional/drunk" stage and was some way from the front but Courteeners seemed a bit flat to me

Act you're gutted you missed: seasick Steve but have seen him a few times before

Clash you wish you went the other way on: none

Rating for your musical V experience: 8

Weston

Best act: Monsta

Most enjoyable act: Jamie Cullum

Best singalong moment: She's So Lovely, SFG

Memorable moment: my first ever bum-wipe without loo paper

Act you didn't think you'd like as much as you did: the Friday night disco

Best crowd: Rudimental. Lol jk, Nell Bryden, because the few people there actually wanted to be and there weren't many crowds like that

Most up themselves act: McFly. "I love a good virgin fest" oh wow you're so original.

Biggest letdown: another vote for Beyoncé

Act you're gutted you missed: Basement Jaxx

Clash you wish you went the other way on: seeing Rudimental instead of the Vaccines

Rating for your musical V experience: 6

Site: Chelmsford

Saw:

Saturday - The Pigeon Detectives, Nina Nesbitt, Gabrilelle Aplin, Netsky, Maverick Sabre, Paloma Faith, Of Monsters and Men, Labrinth, Jessie J, The Script, Beyonce.

Sunday - The Heavy, Scouting for Girls, Jason Mraz, Olly Murs, Rudimental, The Vaccines, Ellie Goulding, Rita Ora, Jaguar Skills, Calvin Harris

Best act: Beyonce, mainly due to the hype and the stage show she did. She sounded great and made the wait worth while.

Most enjoyable act: Calvin Harris, because the people around me were funny before he started, and once he started it was a great night.

Best singalong moment: Rudimental, because the words weren't too hard and I didn't do too much singing.

Memorable moment: Being in the tent with my girlfriend and her best friend. Never laughed so much on one weekend. But music wise it would probably be Beyonce because of her show.

Act you didn't think you'd like as much as you did: Jaguar Skills. I didnt know too much about him (as no one really does) but I stuck around for him as I got to the front few rows after Ellie Goulding so I watched him and he was great.

Best crowd: Nina Nesbitt, as the crowd was chilled out and no mosh pits

Most up themselves act: Rudimental, no other real contenders

Biggest letdown: Our choice of when to go take jackets back to the tent so we missed most of Of Monsters and Men

Act you're gutted you missed: Steve Angello, as I have heard good reviews of it and guessing the music sounded good

Clash you wish you went the other way on: Two Door Cinema Club, as I would have seen more of them than OMAM

Edited by daniel.k

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry its a bit late..

Site: Chelmsford

Saw:

Saturday - The Fratellis, James, Paloma Faith, Two Door Cinema Club, Travis, Fun, The Courteeners and Steve Angello.

Sunday - 5ive, Jason Mraz, Olly Murs, The Vaccines, Maximo Park, Stereophonics, Calvin Harris.

Best act: Have to say either Travis or The Courteeners, both were incredible.

Most enjoyable act: Travis for the sing alongs.

Best singalong moment: Travis - Why Does it Always Rain on Me? Stereophonics - Dakota aswell.

Act you didn't think you'd like as much as you did: Olly Murs always puts on a good show.

Best crowd: Travis, everyone there was really up for it.

Most up themselves act:

Biggest letdown: The Fratellis seemed quite boring to open the festival. Jason Mraz was also quite lost on the main stage.

Act you're gutted you missed: Of Monsters and Men/Kings of Leon/Basement Jaxx.

Clash you wish you went the other way on: Of Monsters and Men instead of TDCC.

Rating for your musical V experience: 9/10 - probably the best of the 3 V Festivals I have done.