t minus and counting - 2014

Guest mooro

It's a bit too hard to make out the number plate but I believe it reads GXN 231;

$%28KGrHqF,%21mEFGL9VlVYRBRqOZQWzOw~~60_

I included it because it's a lovely old machine that doesn't deserve to be overlooked.

Edited by whisty

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take your word for it. The details I had for it were from ebay, which said;

35mm COLOUR SLIDE - VINTAGE FIRE ENGINE - GXN 231 - TURNTABLE

Apologies for the large bold writing, but that's how it was written (ie. I'm not shouting. Barking maybe, but not shouting). I took the GXN 231 to be the number plate. Must mean something else.

Edited by whisty

There's loads of differences between the two photos though. It's like one of them photo competitions to see the differences between the two. a quick glance tells me one has no wing mirrors, no hose on top of the ladder, no big thingy (yes, thingy) at the front of the bonnet, no livery, no wheels for raising the ladders, no lights on top of the cab.

Maybe there was a fleet of new fire trucks which started with GXN at the time.

Ahh, I thought maybe the supposed 231 had been restored but as you say, too big a difference so digging around a bit found another GXN 2**. Can't give my finds away that easy! But here's a little info to explain. Interesting stuff this fire engine searching :)

GXN 227 is one of a batch of 50 commissioned by the Home Office (registrations ran from GXN 201 to GXN 250) of which only seven or eight are known to survive. GXN 227 was in active service with the NFS in London until 1947 when it was sold to Kesteven Council (Lincolnshire) which used it until 1972. It was then sold to Sir Freddie Laker of Laker Airways (the Richard Branson of the 1970s) for use at Gatwick Airport, where it remained for nine to ten years. The vehicle returned to Lincolnshire in 1981 and subsequently was restored in Kesteven Council livery,

Oh, that didn't bother me whisty. In fact I'd rather be told than not told if I am wrong. You've certainly upped the bar with that bit of inside knowledge on the GXN fire tenders. You do, of course, realise that this is how train spotters start out?!!