The Irish Times: "Glastonbury's Over The Hill"

Guest BA4 4BY

How could I forget, Boyd on that Swedish House Mafia gig, watch out for the "rave drugs":

http://www.irishtimes.com/debate/dance-scene-s-lethal-mix-drink-drugs-and-ignorance-1.533072

However, the comment “the genre of music has a lot to do with it” bears further examination. Swedish House Mafia are broadly speaking a “dance culture” act – this is a genre of music that broke through into the mainstream in the 1990s and always had a drug component.

[...]

But that was then and this is now: with electronic dance music now very much back to the fore due to the success of acts such as Swedish House Mafia and Skrillex, “underground dance music” is the fastest-growing genre in the industry.

Today’s generation – brought up with binge alcohol tendencies – is popping and dropping indiscriminately. And when you mix a rave drug with large quantities of alcohol, it really is time (for the rest of us) to batten down the hatches.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a badly writtern & utterly sensationalist piece.

I am 80% certain MCD are cutting their losses and are going to shift Oxegen to Marley Park as a non-camper. A friend in the industry was telling me last night (pinch of salt) that last week they sold 5 tickets on the Monday.

MCD will have the set-up in place for Longitude so not doing a get-in and tear-down for Punchestown would possibly save their financial asses.

Like all countries we have our good and bad. Galways is on the good side - sadly Oxegen is on the bad side. Either way what little goodwill existed (from Northern Irish teenagers escaping the marches, mostly) has evaporated. It was remodelled as a dance fest & moved to a new venue this year and the ticket sales has flatlined. Stick a fork in it. Its done, cooked, burned. The promotor has moved on with Longitude now, which doesnt allow camping and is in a venue where the residents (and plod) won't allow the kind of Beyond Thunderdome hijinx that got the other fest its reputation in the first place.

The way it's being branded on the BBC with Evans fronting the main advert makes me feel slightly queasy. The festival demographic will most likely be on a turbo charged change.

My 1st visit to the Isle (Cork) in my late 40s with a bunch of lads all over 30, due to our accents we were warned by a barmaid not to say the wrong thing as there were people around who'd like to kill us, The Black and Tans were mentioned. Shamefully I never knew anything about the black and tans but then it was almost 40 years before I was born. I'm sure it's not representative of Irish folk in general but it did kinda put me off my visit a little bit!

"For anyone who paid the £205 ticket price and has to schlep all the way to an overcrowded farm in Somerset, it’s a bit galling to know that your friends at home on the couch, drinking beer and eating Pringles, are getting full HD coverage,"

Er, no. It's really not.

I miss John Peel :-(

Each year I take down a whole swathe of John Peel mp3s to play around the camp whilst we're getting ready or chilling etc.

Mostly programmes from the late 80s through to 90s, usually the Festive 50.

Hearing his dulcet tones wafting over the air whilst looking out over the site still gives me little goosebumps.

Im really looking forward to the day when the irrelevancies of a century ago are no longer used as a casual insult.

I will say, having worked in the UK I've been on the receiving end of similar types of comments (obviously switched around).

What I will say is, I am 99.999999% certain I wont get any at Glastonbury.

when was this? and where? I'm really surprised to be honest, I imagine the vast majority of the UK knows next to nothing about Irish history. Which is terrible really, everyone should be aware of the evils of the british empire

Edited by Windward

"For anyone who paid the £205 ticket price and has to schlep all the way to an overcrowded farm in Somerset, it’s a bit galling to know that your friends at home on the couch, drinking beer and eating Pringles, are getting full HD coverage,"

Er, no. It's really not.

• For anyone who paid the £205 ticket price and has to schlep all the way to an overcrowded farm in Somerset, it’s a bit galling to know that your friends at home on the couch, drinking beer and eating Pringles, are getting full HD coverage, while you’re a mile away from the band, stuck in the mud with cider running down your back.

Er - hands up who'd rather be at home!