Any parents who have taken a baby - baby carrier advice?

Guest Bexxxxx

Bit specific this one, but thought it was worth an ask! We're taking our baby this year who will be 5 and a half months old by the time of the festival. We'll be taking along our off road buggy but I want to have some decent carrying options too. Just wondered if any parents out there who've done Glastonbury (or any festival) with a baby can recommend a decent baby carrier that will be comfy to carry the little fella in for long periods of time. We currently have a Baby Bjorn carrier which is great right now and very easy to cope with on your own, but gives me back ache if I use it for too long at a time. Plus by the end of June my son is likely to be heavier! I'm ideally looking for something that will be easy to swap between me and my other half and gives some decent back support. Any suggestions?

I've got the older version of this carrier. Much easier and more comfortable than a baby bjorn for long walks. Has sun shade built in, very well made but also light weight.

It is expensive though. If you're into walking, it's a good investment. I'm sure you could pick up second hand ones on gumtree.

http://www.outdoormania.co.uk/Item-5-0-cat-31-brand-1201-Deuter_Kid_Comfort_III_2012.aspx

I used a baby Bjorn with my son in 2005 (5 months). It worked ok but it is tiring. My wife couldn't use it because she had chronic back trouble. We also had a 3 wheeler buggy. I like those carriers that go on the back but again I think they will be tiring. I think the buggy is the best option but they can be hard work if it rains and gets muddy.

Bit specific this one, but thought it was worth an ask! We're taking our baby this year who will be 5 and a half months old by the time of the festival. We'll be taking along our off road buggy but I want to have some decent carrying options too. Just wondered if any parents out there who've done Glastonbury (or any festival) with a baby can recommend a decent baby carrier that will be comfy to carry the little fella in for long periods of time. We currently have a Baby Bjorn carrier which is great right now and very easy to cope with on your own, but gives me back ache if I use it for too long at a time. Plus by the end of June my son is likely to be heavier! I'm ideally looking for something that will be easy to swap between me and my other half and gives some decent back support. Any suggestions?

Have never been to Glastonbury, but have ised several baby carriers! I found the baby bjorn very uncomfortable on my back after a short amount of time. I have an ergo baby carrier which is really comfy, it can be used on your front, back and hip, and has a shade/snooze cover. The only issue is that front ways the baby has to be facing you, rather than outwards as on the bjorn.

I have a woven ellaroo wrap which is quite comfy but can get quite hot & takes abit of practice to use, different ways of wrapping/tying it. I've tried a mei tai, very comfy & easy to use. Both types of carriers can be worn on the front or back & the ellaroo wrap can be worn on hip. Its not really recomened that you wear babies facing out on the front, its awful for their hips & can cause hip displacia.

We did glastonbury 2011 with a 11 month old & i cant really say any good way of getting around with kids. We had an all terrain pushchair & sling but both things have their down falls.

We are taking an almost 3 yer old & a 10 month old this year & i'm still struggling with deciding what form of transport to move them about in!

We have brought a Macpac Vamoose for our son. We got it when he was 6 months and he fitted in it fine then. The carrier itself is really light. Can be adjusted to fit properly, has lots of carrying space etc etc. Comes with rain cover (wont be needed) and a sombrero (will be needed) and a cushion for them to rest there heads on.

It is a Macpac though so is very expensive if brought new.

Still £80-90 on ebay second hand. We do quite a lot of outdoors stuff so it will be used regularly so could justify the cost.

See you in the kids field

I used a Wilkinet with my daughter and it was fab (and was 18 years ago so the fact they're still making the same model speaks volumes), but for a 5 month old + baby I'd suggest an Ergo carrier. Good for baby and for your back. http://www.ergobaby.eu/en/ergo_baby_products.html

Baby Bjorn carriers aren't great because the baby sort of 'hangs'. Ideally babies' thighs should be supported under the knee in a sitting position.

I took my 3 month old in 2011 and he spent most of the time during the day in my elleroo wrap. It's fantastic, it holds the baby very securely and I never got any backache. In fact I used it regularly until he was over a year old.

We also secured the carrycot from his pram into a cycle trailer - perfect for the terrain and he could sleep comfortably when we were out and about at night and we just lifted the carrycot into the tent at night

I'm afraid I can't really offer advice for festivals, as we'll be taking our first baby, 6 months, this year. All I can say is if you get tired, give me a shout and I'll take a turn with the carrier. We've got 2 carriers, a baby bjorn and a mothercare one, but we're hoping the weather will be kind, so we can use the garden trolley we've pimped up for the occasion! :-)

The ergobaby is by far the best I am sure. Done loads of research bought one for my sister and loves it. No back problems and best for baby too....

BUT

If you buy one on the internet be really really careful not to buy a fake one as there are loads out there and the websites are really convincing

http://www.borndirect.com/blog/2012/05/27/bbcs-fake-britain-feature-on-ergobaby-counterfiet-carriers/#.UZ4ka8oSoX4

I bought mine from these and it is perfect. Can't remember the web site that had the information but you can tell a fake web site by how they print the Ergobaby logo. Google Fake Ergo baby carrier and you will see what to look out for. Mum's net had a discount voucher for Born Direct as well when I bought min

We took a rucksack type baby carrier for the 2 1/2 year old. Was good carrying her around and she liked being up high but she couldn't sleep in it or lay down etc so in the end we pushed her around in a buggy - the mud was hard work though.

It's my two yr olds first glatonbury, but we've done about a dozen others since she came.

The first summer she was between 4 - 8 months old, I took an ergo, baby bjorn, a stretchy wrap and an old cheap 2nd hand all-terain pushchair with pnumatic tyres. She spent 90% of the time in the pushchair the rest being carried in our arms. If it was warm, the carriers all get quite hot after a while. If it was muddy I din't want to slip or fall while carrying her.

The following summer we also took a lightweight framed back carrier but didn't use that either - again 90% in the pushchair and the rest walking (very slowly!). This year will probably be half pushchair and half under her own steam - not looking forward to when she decides she's too old for the pushchair completely as not sure I want to haul a cart around the bigger festivals, but it's the best £15 I ever spent on anything festival related.

Hope you have a fab time!

In 2011 I carried my 11 month old son on my back in a woven wrap, it was fab and he was totally secure even I went on my knees in the mud, he was laughing his head off! Im taking our four month old this time and will take the same wrap, as well as a shorter one as the tails dragging in the mud was a bit annoying whilst wrapping.

If you have a good carrier, babies can be carried for hours comfortably, woven wraps, soft structured carriers like Ergo, Rose & Rebellion and Mei-tai's are all good choices! Hope you have a great time :-)

It's my two yr olds first glatonbury, but we've done about a dozen others since she came.

The first summer she was between 4 - 8 months old, I took an ergo, baby bjorn, a stretchy wrap and an old cheap 2nd hand all-terain pushchair with pnumatic tyres. She spent 90% of the time in the pushchair the rest being carried in our arms. If it was warm, the carriers all get quite hot after a while. If it was muddy I din't want to slip or fall while carrying her.

The following summer we also took a lightweight framed back carrier but didn't use that either - again 90% in the pushchair and the rest walking (very slowly!). This year will probably be half pushchair and half under her own steam - not looking forward to when she decides she's too old for the pushchair completely as not sure I want to haul a cart around the bigger festivals, but it's the best £15 I ever spent on anything festival related.

Hope you have a fab time!

Don't know about carriers but use all the lock ups. Maybe you could put a buggy in one and all your equipment, use a carrier during the day and then put the baby to sleep in the evening in the buggy and stop at the back of crowds

Dear All

Just to let you know that the National Childbirth Trust have a Baby Feed & Change Tent at the top of the Kidz Field, we have emergency nappies and cups of tea. If any carrier becomes too heavy or buggies become too strenuous to push, come and take the weight off of your feet by relaxing in the tent that is geared up specificially for you and your baby. We are open the same time of the Kidz Field 9am-7pm with a nightly bath time between 5pm-6:30pm.

Also for the first time this year there will be out of hours provision in the Family Camping area behind the Kidz Field.

In my experience of taking three children for the last 8 years (now aged 10, 5 & 3), I have always preferred my sturdy three wheeler to any other carrying device. From babies to toddlers this has been by far the easiest even in the deepest thickest mud. It provides shelter from the wind and rain and shade from the sun.

Please note there is very little shade on site so please make sure you have plenty of protection for your little one - my worst festivals with the children have been the hot ones not the wet ones. Heat makes them fractious and miserable, so come prepared and life will be grand :)

See you in a couple of weeks

:bye:

Dear All

Just to let you know that the National Childbirth Trust have a Baby Feed & Change Tent at the top of the Kidz Field, we have emergency nappies and cups of tea. If any carrier becomes too heavy or buggies become too strenuous to push, come and take the weight off of your feet by relaxing in the tent that is geared up specificially for you and your baby. We are open the same time of the Kidz Field 9am-7pm with a nightly bath time between 5pm-6:30pm.

Also for the first time this year there will be out of hours provision in the Family Camping area behind the Kidz Field.

In my experience of taking three children for the last 8 years (now aged 10, 5 & 3), I have always preferred my sturdy three wheeler to any other carrying device. From babies to toddlers this has been by far the easiest even in the deepest thickest mud. It provides shelter from the wind and rain and shade from the sun.

Please note there is very little shade on site so please make sure you have plenty of protection for your little one - my worst festivals with the children have been the hot ones not the wet ones. Heat makes them fractious and miserable, so come prepared and life will be grand :)

See you in a couple of weeks

:bye:

• 2 months later...