Would it be 'wrong' to choose to be gay?

Guest tonyblair

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they are not anyone's rules to own - they are not "our rules" for anyone. They're simply the rules that have existed recently.

If the rules of marriage are unchangeable, then why aren't those same people out there campaigning for the village squire to be able to shag any girl on her wedding night?

The rules have changed for the better before, and the can change for the better again.

It's two fold...

I belive the best family setup is a good man and a women raising a child. I can give you a lot of reasoning for this. Not saying you would agree....

Gay men and lesbian women can not biologically create a child. The laws of nature does not allow it. So it seems unnatural to me. It's going against that to give them a child. For less explainable reasons it makes me uncomfortable.

It's nothing to do with hate and bigotry.... Althought you might disagree I don't feel it is.

Violent behaviour is natural. Does that mean society was wrong to make a cultural rejection of violent behaviour?

Don't use the 'natural' line to justify prejudice. 'What nature intended' is just as much an ignorant, hate-filled misnomer as 'what god intended'.

We are supposed to be an intelligent species, capable of making informed and intelligent decisions, such as to overcome 'natural' urges to hate, attack or rape people.

Yes. Gay people can believe that because of their sexuality they have to be overtly different and conform to stereotypes. They can look down and dismiss gay people who choose to keep it quiet, accusing them of "betraying the cause". They can demand certain types of behaviour from gay people, and demand people treat them in a certain way because of their sexuality. All sexuality related intolerance.

Just as gay people have the ability to be in loving, stable partnerships, they have the ability to be prejudiced dickheads. The only difference between a heterosexual person and a homosexual person is the gender they get aroused by. Any other trend is just a cultural one that individuals choose to accept, ignore or reject.

Edited by feral chile

Sometimes that stereotypical gay persona isn't an affectation. i knew my friend was gay (though actually he was bisexual) by his mannerisms. he had absolutely no idea that his sexuality was obvious, he preferred to keep it private. On the grounds that he had more in common with straight psychology graduates (of which he was one) than, say, gay builders.

in other words, he identified stronger with other aspects of his life than his sexuality.

Edited by kaosmark2

Yeah, I wasn't meaning to say that all stereotypical gay traits are necessarily related to a person's sexuality, I was merely using the example that some gay people can attempt to force that as a form of intolerant behaviour from gay people. No attempt to imply that all cases are like that.

And most people identify more strongly with other aspects of their life than their sexuality, I don't see any reason to think gay people would typically be any different.

the question/point is, most Gay people, at least the ones I know, and the guy who wrote the article, seem to say that it isn't a choice, they have no choice. I'm curious as to whether some people have made a conscious decision, and how the people who say they have no choice, might percieve that choice...

I genuinely don't think whether it's a choice or not matters. To give "didn't choose to be gay" as an argument falsely implies that it's somehow a deficiency or flaw.
Edited by tonyblair