Workers Beer Company

Guest Babyquack

Glasto worker is one of the supervisors (i think!) and i gather from what he says there are more volunteers than places available. He also picks (again i think) the volunteers with the most experience. From what i've read on here and other forums Oxfam or litter picking is probably your best route in.

Glasto worker is one of the supervisors (i think!) and i gather from what he says there are more volunteers than places available. He also picks (again i think) the volunteers with the most experience. From what i've read on here and other forums Oxfam or litter picking is probably your best route in.

Thanks Glasto-Worker!

Very sound advice, I'll look into it a bit more, then try and join a group! :)

I of course know that trying to get a place at Glastonbury on my very first year would be a bit selfish to the longer serving members, so would be happy to help out anywhere to be honest! :)

Thanks again for such a detailed and great answer :)

Cein.

Thanks Glasto-Worker!

Very sound advice, I'll look into it a bit more, then try and join a group! smile.png

I of course know that trying to get a place at Glastonbury on my very first year would be a bit selfish to the longer serving members, so would be happy to help out anywhere to be honest! smile.png

Thanks again for such a detailed and great answer smile.png

Cein.

The thing is, I'm 17 but turning 18 in March, I live in Bracknell, near Reading, but thought that this would be a great way to start volunteering at festivals.

Tbh, I wouldn't mind too much what shifts I was given - sure, I may ask to move shifts if my favourite band were playing at a certain time but I would know they'd be no chance of it - however, you get no where without asking!

I was just attracted to the WBC because I thought it was a great scheme that helped charities.

Thanks for all the advice though :)

• 3 weeks later...
I meant to update this thread - I have been in touch with Babyquack via e-mail so with any luck Babyquack stands a good chance of becoming a volunteer at Glasto.
It gets a bit complicated due to Babyquack's age but time will tell if my advice helped.
For anyone looking at being a WBC volunteer the key factor is to apply early due to the deadlines the WBC impose { which does catch out many Group Organisers }
The deadlines vary from year to year but I know the first deadline next year will be in March 2013.
I was at the WBC Christmas party this month and most Organisers had already picked their Glasto teams { I know I sorted out my Team last August as they are well used to tight deadlines }

So where is your proof to back up your claim .
Over 20 years ago the WBC allowed in social groups so its not all just trade unions or Labour party groups - I have a list { as up to date is possible }
I know that most social groups depend on their Funds from the WBC.
so what is your problem ? were you in the WBC and got kicked out ? .

I work(ed) for an independent bar and the staff weren't picked until May which is a bit too close to call. This year I've been picked for a different independent bar by October. Its so varied.

Applying for WBC does feel somewhat undesirable, which is why I've avoided it so far and stuck to the independents (why they're still there).

I would imagine being one of the team leaders is a difficult job - be it for the bars or for the litter picking or whatever. The fact is that a large proportion of the volunteers are there for the free ticket. It must be hard to keep peoples minds focused on working when they are in past the festival gates.

That being said, the "little hitler" I saw shouting at the litter pickers at 5am in the morning was a right nasty piece of work. Still you get bad apples in every barrel...

I would imagine being one of the team leaders is a difficult job - be it for the bars or for the litter picking or whatever. The fact is that a large proportion of the volunteers are there for the free ticket. It must be hard to keep peoples minds focused on working when they are in past the festival gates.

That being said, the "little hitler" I saw shouting at the litter pickers at 5am in the morning was a right nasty piece of work. Still you get bad apples in every barrel...

Its the old chicken and egg problem because there is various ways a person can end up being a volunteer and that depends on which Group they join.Some groups can be interlinked if they are involved in a Community project and if they were not earning money working at festivals they would be doing something else to raise funds so their motivation is clear right from the start.
In recent years some groups have started recruiting direct from the Internet which is a very risky thing to do as they may land up with people who may not be as self motivated and that is where problems can be encountered.
In my Group { which has never advertised for volunteers } I can trust them 100% and that has been built up over twenty years so I would never risk taking on anyone new who I could not be certain that they were trustworthy and dependable.
At some events in recent years due to staff shortage the WBC was directly recruiting Agency workers but they soon discovered that was a bad mistake as they simply could not be trusted - please note I am not claiming that all Agency workers were stealing but it was clear that some were - they also discovered that Agency workers were not following the Challenge 21/25 rules which caused major problems with Trading Standards who monitor underage drinking.
Its far easier controlling volunteers who are self motivated but over the years I have ran into some volunteers { not in my Group } who were not all that keen to work - if a volunteer ends up being sent for retraining by the WBC { for various reasons } they will be sent to me and that is their final chance - if they mess about with me then they will be blacklisted but some do take the opportunity.
For the vast majority there is absolutely no problems but there is always going to be one or two who are not keen on rules and they just don't want to do their share and they will soon be kicked out and they have only themselves to blame.
over the years some people may work a few events and they may be puzzled over some of the WBC rules but they don't appreciate that these has been built up over the past 27 years so they are not plucked out the air just to piss them off.
just to make it as clear as possible every Volunteer has to sign a contract where all the rules are spelled out to them so they cant claim they were unaware over this that or the other.
its a very good deal but it will not suit everyone.

Thanks for your reply. Hope you had a good christmas.

Don't want to hassle you but just very intrigued as to how it works. I have read many posts on here written by you and also read various articles about the wbc but still don't really understand what it represents and who and why they are privileged enough to work for the wbc? Like you said in the past the wbc have recruited from the internet! From what i read i understood it to mean local groups with local volunteers.

Edited by glasto-worker

• 5 months later...