More children questions-sorry!

Guest excitedfirsttimer

Hello,

I am new to this forum and to Glastonbury. After years of wanting to go, finally my other half has agreed and so we will be joining the throngs in October in the ticket lottery. To say I am excited is an understatement, but assuming we get tickets I have a couple of questions.

We will be taking our 11 year old, and possibly taking our baby who will be almost 2. Is the festival really suitable for children? I know they have the kidzfield, but is the rest of the site suitable? Don't mind much about the alcohol situation or nudity etc as we are pretty relaxed at home, and he is a sensible boy. But is he likely to be exposed to people in compromising situations in public or lots of very lairy, unpleasant drunks?

Also are the activities generally included in the admission ticket eg the face painting, instrument tuition in the kidzfield etc or do they cost extra- if there are added charges, what kind of prices are these things and how much money on top of food/tickets etc do you think we will need to bring.

Thanks for your time and advice

Is you go to the wrong place at the wrong time then there's a good chance of being troubled by lary unpleasant drunks - but probably just because they'd have just fallen over your pushchair that they hadn't noticed. But they're easy enough to avoid, because the worst of those will be around the exact sorts of bands that you'd expect them to be.

All of the activities in the Kidz Field are free.

How much money depends on your needs. Meals will cost you in the range of £5 to £10, and then add some money for what you might drink.

Hello,

I am new to this forum and to Glastonbury. After years of wanting to go, finally my other half has agreed and so we will be joining the throngs in October in the ticket lottery. To say I am excited is an understatement, but assuming we get tickets I have a couple of questions.

I hope you get lucky excitedfirsttimer.

Seems a long time since our first time, but I can remember the thrill of seeing the site for the first time, and the less happy realisation that we couldn't camp next to the car. It was in the olden days , with much less advance information, and certainly no friendly forums like this. Our friends had come with 4 children and a huge tent. We rocked up on Thursday night but still found space in Pennards-basically the only camping field on that side of the site.

You will be knocked out by the size of the site.

There used to be more scary characters around than there are now, with the leaky fence. The Glastonbury punters are mainly the nicest friendliest people you could wish to meet.

You'll soon find the areas you find most comfortable in, probably kids fields and green fields.

Good luck, see you there at the cider bus meet on Thursday, or Wednesday if we get our act together in time.

Thanks so much Anna(grant)!

I am really looking forward to the whole experience... I have got some friends who have already looked at me as if they are going to call social services, as they think it is a really bad idea. However, both my husband and I are sensible people and we will do what we think is best for our children.

What is the cider bus meet?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

There's loads of info on here about bringing kids. Use the search for kids or kidz and you should be sorted. Ours will be on their 4th trip next year (tickets pending !!!) and they are 9 & 11. Aside from the kidz field there is so much more for them to do and see around the site. My fella made a three-legged stool for himself last time in Green Crafts.

One tip I'd have is the buggy you bring. As well as have a place for the baby to sleep while you are wandering, it makes a great vehicle for carrying gear/food/beer etc. We still bring ours for carting the gear from the car to campsite.

It's worth investing in one of those three-wheelers as they are the easiest to navigate through rough ground. The bigger the wheels the better.

Don't let anyone talk you out of bringing them. Trouble is, after they go once they will want to go every year.....

Hi excitedfirsttimer - firstly best of luck on Sunday morning!

We have previously taken our son and niece who were 12 on their first trip and last year took our 6 month old baby too. As others have already said, there's loads of great advice and info on here which you can look up in time but my advice is, whatever you do, DO NOT be put off by anyone! We have had an absolute ball every time we've been and are so happy we ignored those people that said to us 'you must be mad'. And yes, we heard that a lot!

Just a couple of tips off the top of my head from what you've said above - at the ages your kids are, I wouldn't worry too much about the kids field. It's worth checking out and I don't believe there are charges for any of the activities but your youngest is probably too young to care that much about what's going on (not that he / she wouldn't enjoy some of it but there are so many stimulating sights and sounds elsewhere) and your oldest will most likely be a little too old. Hopefully he / she will be more interested in some of the hundreds of bands / artists / performers etc etc.

Definitely think about the transport you're going to be using for the little one. The ground is often uneven (remember the rest of the year it's a working dairy farm!) and if it rains like it did last year, you can easily be ankle deep in mud. We used a 3 wheel bicycle type trailer that was brilliant. Especially as it had a rain cover! We'll have great fun in years to come telling Flo how she slept through entire sets by Morrissey, U2, Biffy Clyro and many more, thanks also to the baby ear defenders that were also a god send and highly recommended!

We were lucky and were able to borrow a camper van last year so had a bit more space and when it did rain heavily were able to get dry but if you're camping, the family camping areas are great. In our experience, the wardens were pretty good at making sure only families used those areas and although space is clearly a concept you shouldn't become too attached to, our 'neighbours' were great! (Again, loads of tips for camping on here)

Just to keep it balanced, there are some challenges to those taking young kids. If you want to experience the big acts on the big stages, these attract huge crowds. It's ok if you stay towards the back, but getting to and from the stages in the first place and then once there to the toilets / bars / food stalls etc can be hard going. Again though you can overcome that by being prepared by taking drinks and refreshments etc with you. Unlike other festivals, you're allowed to take whatever food and drink you like to the stages.

I can't say I've ever met people that made me uncomfortable but there are lots and lots and lots of people around. All in my experience having a great time but some worse for wear. You will see people who are drunk, some who are under the influence of drugs and some who are a combination of both. I've never seen any trouble in terms of fights or aggression, but it can be an eye opener and possibly even a little unnerving at first.

Finally, the famous Glastonbury toilets take a bit of getting used, and at times a strong stomach! I guess your youngest will be young enough to still be in nappies and there are clean, dry areas in the kids field for baby changing but if you're on the other side of the site, it's going to be al fresco!

Anyway, I could talk all day about why you should go, so basically, just do it! Take your time to read the great bits of advice on here but most of all, see it as an adventure and have the most fun you could imagine exploring everything there is to see. One thing's guaranteed though, you'll have never experienced anything quite like it before but you'll be back on here next year telling other first timers why they should go! :-)

Edited by Morse Code

Yes there are lots of positives above which I agree with but just a note of caution. Glastonbury is very big and will involve a lot of walking and pushing buggies. I wonder whether some of the smaller family festivals might be a better start to cut your teeth on taking kids.

Thanks to all of the above posters... As Sunday draws closer I am getting more and more nervous at the prospect of not getting tickets! But having read all of your posts I am more sure than ever we are making the right decision... My 11 year son is so excited about seeing the bands, especially after seeing the calibre of the acts on 2011 line-up, but I will be dragging him to the kidz field so that I can have a nosey around at the crafts and entertainment... Now all we need is them pesky tickets! Good luck all

I have taken my kids 3 times and they always love it,you just have to try and divide your time between the things for the kids and the music you want to see.Kids will walk for miles when there is plenty to see and do without much moaning.

There will be plenty to do for the 11 year old-craft field,green fields, Greenpeace etc and if you get to any of the late night areas around10pm-midnight then they are great.

Good luck to all of us on Sunday.

This year (if we`re lucky) will be my 15yr olds 8th time and 6 of them was just me and him. You and boyh your kids will love it,but be prepared to want to go to every single glastonbury festival from now till you die,thats how good it is.

Drunks,99% are happy drunks so don`t worry about them.

Food take as much as you can,saves you a lot of money,unless you`re well off enough to not worry about it.

If you can take a wheel barrow as the walk from car to camping can be long especially with family sized tent and a weeksworth of clothers(cos you`ll always pack too many first time!!)

cheers ove.

Thanks so much Anna(grant)!

I am really looking forward to the whole experience... I have got some friends who have already looked at me as if they are going to call social services, as they think it is a really bad idea. However, both my husband and I are sensible people and we will do what we think is best for our children.

What is the cider bus meet?

Thanks

P.S.

One other reason to go for it!

I'm not sure if you mean your older son is 11 now, or will be by next summer, but anyway, now's your chance to take him for free! Once he reaches 13, he'll need a ticket like you, and there's no cheaper under-18s tickets or anything like that, so you've got 1 or 2 chances to see if he enjoys it (i'd be amazed if he didn't, but everyone's different). It'd be a shame to take him for the first time when he's a bit older, and find he didn't enjoy it, having paid for another ticket! If you go now, and he's not fussed, then he can stay with family next time if you want to go again.

Thanks for all of your great advice. mr gumby, my eldest will still be 11 next year- he turns 12 in August and the fact he would not have to pay for a ticket this an next year was part of the draw for us. It is brilliant that he is old enough to enjoy the music and remember the experience without having to spend money on a ticket for him. Good luck to everyone tomorrow...

Thanks for all of your great advice. mr gumby, my eldest will still be 11 next year- he turns 12 in August and the fact he would not have to pay for a ticket this an next year was part of the draw for us. It is brilliant that he is old enough to enjoy the music and remember the experience without having to spend money on a ticket for him. Good luck to everyone tomorrow...

Disappointed this morning as we managed to get to the payment page after a while but the computer crashed and we were unable to get tickets :-( however we have a possibility of a couple of hospitality tickets through someone we know and so may well be able to come next year so :-)! Hopefully this will be the case, how about you?

We took our children for the first time in 2011 (aged 4 and 8) both of them loved it so much so that i had them sat by me yesterday willing me to get tickets ( I did get them after 1hour 25 mins phew) I don't think they would let me go without them as there is just so much for them to do

( mam dad u are the most awesome parents in the world is what they both said as we pitched the tent )