Albums of 2012 worth a listen

Guest eagles69

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do i start. If you want a really lovely folk album then i highly recommend Jack Harris. I admit, on first listen i was just, hmm, not bad, but i always like to try and listen to albums in various places, home through the speakers, on the beach with the headphones etc and now i think this album is a bloody masterpiece. The highest praise i could give it is that i think it's perhaps an album that someone like Nick Drake would have gone onto make. He doesn't sound like Nick or anything but it has that underlying genius which you don't always pick up on immediately. Anyway, i like it. See what you think.

Slightly different now, hard to put any genre to this one as it has elements of loads. Dennis Crommett. Has traces of Alt-country, Americana and maybe even some influence from early R.E.M, U.S college radio days. I think it's a gem of an album.

Finally (for now) not so much a rand new release but a re-release on cd, Hiss Golden Messenger's Poor Moon. His previous album to this, Bad debt is genius and it's mostly just him and acoustic guitar, poor moon is a whole band. Uncut magazine are all over this fella at the moment and David Bowie has been singing his praises too. Brilliant. BLATANT PLUG ALERT! He's on tour in May with the legend Michael Chapman. i have him playing Brighton on the 2nd :-)

Ok, as you were...

Edited by GeordieMartin

I just got Hiss Golden Messenger Bad Debt on your recommendation, thanks GM.

I know I have taken my finger off the pulse lately with new releases.....so many to catch up on, so little time. I finally got to listen to Last Harbour - Your Heart It Carries The Sound. Lovely gothic sound, Last Harbour are a Manchester collective and the album was recorded in a moorland cottage and a church. i am kicking myself now for not getting the limited edt cd which included extras, when it was released in feb. comparisons to Nick Cave, Mark Lanegan etc, I heard a bit of Tindersticks meloncholy in there.

Also on this weeks listening

Soap & Skin - Narrow (still shrink wrapped at the moment)

The Deep Dark Woods - The Place I Left Behind

The Staves - The Motherlode EP

Memoryhouse - The Slideshow Effect

Django Django

Hooded Fang - Tosta Mista

and last but not least Pinkunoizu - Free time, Danish quartet's debut album and well worth a listen!

Edited by perfectpassion

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2012/may/14/cold-specks-album-stream?fb=native

Really beautiful but dark album definitely seeing her at EOTR. Other albums listening to are Father John Misty a really gr8 album and thankfully sounds nothing like fleet foxes.Listening to Best Coast and Beach House not quite feeling either album yet I will keep perservering!!