Big Chill 2012 Cancelled?

Guest For Funks Sake

I did read a story about FR are looking into buying HMV's live division so perhaps cancelling Big Chill would free up some money to go ahead with it?

that seems a little daft to me, shutting down a very well known fest but taking over some lesser known ones.

Then again, I guess the important part to FR will be whether the respective fests make money - and the Big Chill probably still doesn't and those HMV fests might do.

that seems a little daft to me, shutting down a very well known fest but taking over some lesser known ones.

Then again, I guess the important part to FR will be whether the respective fests make money - and the Big Chill probably still doesn't and those HMV fests might do.

I imagine Lovebox is more profitable than Big Chill.

me too, but what's imagined doesn't necessarily tie in with the facts.

And just because a fest is profitable now or loss making now doesn't necessarily mean that's the irreversable long-term future for a fest. From where I'm sat, I'd have thought a re-jigged Big Chill would have the better long term future of the two for a number of reasons, but without knowing the details for each I can't say for sure that that's right.

It seems strange to me that Big Chill would be dumped this year because I'd have thought that a no-Glasto year would be the best opportunity to re-establish its popularity - but perhaps it's only this year that it's not going to run because the Olympics is somehow going to effect things.

Another thought I'd had is that they'd perhaps booked Snoop Dog as headliner but now lost him because he's been nicked again, and felt there weren't enough suitable headline acts out there to be the replacement.

I guess everything will become clear. The info we're getting from many directions is that it is the Big Chill that's been cancelled, tho if it has been many of the major contractors involved in helping put it on have yet to be told.

me too, but what's imagined doesn't necessarily tie in with the facts.

And just because a fest is profitable now or loss making now doesn't necessarily mean that's the irreversable long-term future for a fest. From where I'm sat, I'd have thought a re-jigged Big Chill would have the better long term future of the two for a number of reasons, but without knowing the details for each I can't say for sure that that's right.

It seems strange to me that Big Chill would be dumped this year because I'd have thought that a no-Glasto year would be the best opportunity to re-establish its popularity - but perhaps it's only this year that it's not going to run because the Olympics is somehow going to effect things.

Another thought I'd had is that they'd perhaps booked Snoop Dog as headliner but now lost him because he's been nicked again, and felt there weren't enough suitable headline acts out there to be the replacement.

I guess everything will become clear. The info we're getting from many directions is that it is the Big Chill that's been cancelled, tho if it has been many of the major contractors involved in helping put it on have yet to be told.

I'd imagine they are more after the venues like Hammersmith Apollo rather than the fests.

I'm not sure about that - most (if not all?) of the venues are venues that FR sold along with the Mean Fiddler name at some point after MF became FR, so it seems strange to then buy them back.

Then again, it might be a fire sale so they can be picked up on the cheap - at much less than they were sold for.

I think the lack of glastonbury and the oppurtunity it would normally give is lost given the Olympics. In the sense people will either spend money to come to London for the Olympics, or leaving London ( and possibly the country) to avodi them.

Where is Snoop Dogg playing then?

Where is Snoop Dogg playing then?

he'd been announced for Snowbombing, but there were perhaps dates later in the year he'd been booked for but not announced for yet.

If Big Chill had booked him and then lost him they might have decided to give up rather than start again from scratch - but that's nothing more than guess work.

Unashamed plug... :girlhaha:

You could always try the Wickham Festival the same weekend as The Big Chill - Levellers, Bellowhead, Oysterband, Jools Holland, Edward II, Merry Hell and many more:

www.wickhamfestival.co.uk

If you get in quick you can still book 4-day weekend season tickets by post for just £100 (adult), £50 (under-16s) - a saving of £35 on full-price adult season tickets.

Prices were due to rise last weekend but the cheap-rate 'earlybird' booking forms are still on the Wickham website and will remain valid for another week or so to allow anyone wishing to transfer from The Big Chill to benefit from the cheap rate 'earlybird' tickets at Wickham.

Edited by Medina