must sees?

Guest riverlodge

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've pretty much resolved the John Grant vs. Brakes issue on Sunday, opting for the fun-filled mayhem of the latter, having seen JG twice in the past year. But...what do people think (or have any inside info on) as to whether Midlake are likely to be John Grant's band? I know they've played for him relatively recently (SXSW, or something similar? Can't remember), but what do we reckon? I've tweeted JG a couple of times to ask that question, but to no avail.

Playing a one-and-a-quarter-hour set, I can't think he'll do that 'solo' (or with, say, just an additional keyboard player) so I'd say he'll have a band - a la Latitude 2010.

But, WILL IT BE MIDLAKE?

If it was to be, that would put severe pressure on what I thought I had managed to sort out in terms of the JG vs. Brakes conundrum...

Ben

on sunday i;m looking at starting with a little telegrams before seeing lightning dust, then lanterns on the lake (missing emmy) then megafaun, then kathryn calder (missing both willy mason and the fresh and onlys) bit of woods, maybe bit of big deal or daniel lefkowitz, then some tinariwen then missing the leisure society for kurt vile. after drawing breath and not going to laura marling, it will be over to josh t pearson before trying to catch a few moments of wild nothing before a john grant and midlake fest.

not bad for a thin day!

Friday - Tune-Yards, Beirut

Saturday - Phosphorescent, Mogwai

Sunday - Josh T Pearson, Woods

Saturday is the big day of having too much I want to see for me with Timber Timbre, Austra, Phosphoresecent, Gruff, Black Angels, Mogwai and Okkervil playing. I may end up catching only portions of a few sets I really want to see.

Friday - Tune-Yards, Beirut

Saturday - Phosphorescent, Mogwai

Sunday - Josh T Pearson, Woods

Saturday is the big day of having too much I want to see for me with Timber Timbre, Austra, Phosphoresecent, Gruff, Black Angels, Mogwai and Okkervil playing. I may end up catching only portions of a few sets I really want to see.

So, what are Megafaun like live, then? Been listening to them a lot today and hearing a lot of good things going on but it's a bit like listening to an unthemed compilation/sampler. Every track sounds like it's by a different band. Just wondering if there's more of a consistent 'vibe' in their live set.

Fri: Best Coast and The Fall

Sat: Mogwai and Bog Log (this is the day with no real standouts for me but lots of potentially great stuff)

Sun: Kathryn Calder and Joanna Newson (i hadn't heard of Megafaun until this morning but they have become a must see already)

A mate of mine went a couple of years back and saw Fleet Foxes, but said access to the stage got shut off due to the large amount of people. Is this a regular occurence? i'd like to hotfoot it from John Grant to JNewsom but don't want to run the risk of not getting in. Any advice from the regulars? i went last year but was always there in plenty of time. I imagine the Brakes will get a pretty big crowd so it may not even be an issue.

I've been three times and that was the only time it happened.

Bear in mind that in 2009 there were two big stages (Garden, Big Top) and two smaller ones. This year, there are three big staages (Woods, Garden, Big Top) and one smaller one, but there will be more people. So it's hard to guess exactly how things will work out, especially as we don't know the site layout, or where the new stage is going to be. Added complication is that this year J Newsom has no-one playing opposite her, so we don't know how many people will want to be at the Woods stage.

Good point. I didn't notice that Brakes finish before she starts. Maybe i'll try for half of John Grant (i so want to hear Sigourney Weaver live)and then get over just there to be safe.

Getting very excited now. i haven't done any festivals this year and i had such a good time last year.

on sunday i;m looking at starting with a little telegrams before seeing lightning dust, then lanterns on the lake (missing emmy) then megafaun, then kathryn calder (missing both willy mason and the fresh and onlys) bit of woods, maybe bit of big deal or daniel lefkowitz, then some tinariwen then missing the leisure society for kurt vile. after drawing breath and not going to laura marling, it will be over to josh t pearson before trying to catch a few moments of wild nothing before a john grant and midlake fest.

not bad for a thin day!