Which Festival?

Guest Curtmeister

I've been a regular V goer since V97 and camped again this year but even though I didn't see much of the antics that went on at the weekend I could sense and see the Chav behaviour and I too are thinking that this is my least ever V!

Can anyone recommend another Festival that is like V used to be (sensible crowd with a good atmosphere where you don't fear getting robbed that is not overcrowded and has guitar bands on) as I have only ever been to V. Was thinking Glasto but its not on next year so I suppose T in the Park or Isle of Wight are the obvious ones.

Any suggestions welcome from experienced festival goers that used to love V!

Thanks.

If you think V is rough then I would advise you to think carefully before booking T in the Park. Our "neds" are a lot worse than your "chavs" (who seem mostly harmless to me).

All in my opinion of course, although as I have been to Glasto, both V sites and T I feel that I know a wee bit about each of these fests.

Edited by Jie Bie

Thanks for the heads up on that, we must all be English softies then compared to the Scots hey??

I have looked at the Isle of Wight and apparently they are increasing the capacity by 20k for next year but in the same size site.............its like a delayed version of V!!

I think all the festies are looking to increase revenue but at the expense of comfort / security / safety etc as the fight for all our cash gets tougher.

Oh well..............may check out some of the smaller ones.

Thanks again.

Think IOW for me next year. I went to V Chelmsford this year and was amazed at the amount of low quality people dragging the event down, I have been several times before but I really noticed it this year, could be something to do with the bookings made attracting a different type of person than in years gone by. That said am concerned that the outbreak of chav's at festivals may be a result of the cost of living going up and people tightening their belts looking for an alternative to cheap Costa'del holidays and going for a weekend piss up instead so this type of crowd may well be here to stay. Not on the same level as V but did find an element of idiots at Glastonbury this year to. I suppose there will always be people that ruin it for the majority but that number seems to growing at present.

I think I will try IOW next year, I missed V this year to the sh1t lineup, which i knew would mean more chavvy be11ends.

If the lineup changes to what it was like last year (more indie/rock/less ndubz, wretch 32, Eminem, Rhianna etc) then i may be tempted back.

Glad i stayed away this year

The Cornbury festival in Oxfordshire all day long. Full line up revealed early, no stupid beer token scheme, lots of bins and security (not needed I might add). This years line up was Status Quo, The Faces (with Ronnie Wood, Mick Hucknall, Glen Matlock), James Blunt, Imelda May, Deacon Blue, The Straits, Sophie Eliis Bextor and legend Ray Davies playing his old Kinks tunes (Lola, Sunny Afternoon. Waterloo Sunset, Victoria). And not one cup of p*ss was thrown the ENTIRE fest. Plus FREE food samples - Yoghurts, Cereal Bars, Fruit, Biscuits, what more could you want ? And it only costs half the price of sodding V.

Right next years fest, V is not gunna change back any time soon to what it was, so count it out

TITP Ive been to twice, its very similar to V, in every aspect, I wouldn't swap one for the other and expect a vast improvement

Reading is just as bad as V in terms of line up and trouble.

For old school V goers like me, I would wait and see whats happening with the returning Phoenix festival last year, line up dependent it could be amazing, its ran by the same guy who does Hop Farm. So we'll see eh?

Hop Farm looked like it had a great line up overall, but wasn't amazing in depth, Prince day looked awful [i know it was tacked on at the last minute]

The old Phoenix festival line ups were superb, Im expected the same alternative bill next year, keep the chavs away and great line up for me!

Hop Farm looked like it had a great line up overall, but wasn't amazing in depth, Prince day looked awful [i know it was tacked on at the last minute]

The old Phoenix festival line ups were superb, Im expected the same alternative bill next year, keep the chavs away and great line up for me!

End of the Road Festival in Dorset is the best one i've ever been to. Going again next week and I can't wait. Great bands, great atmosphere and hot & spicy cider. Awesome festival. Couldn't recommend it enough.

I'm done with V now. Used to go every year but decided against this year due to the horrendously chavvy lineup. Glad I stayed away as well after reading the stories on here. I'm sure it'll be worse next year as well... all those rioters from a few weeks ago have probably sold all their stolen TVs and are now buying Early Bird tickets with the money.

If you live in the midlands area and go to V at Weston Park then the Big Chill in Herefordshire might be an option. Its traditionally been quite a folk and world music festival but has gone a bit more commercial in recent years with the Chemical Brothers headlining this year

Quite a few people seem to have had bad camping experiences at V this year. If you want a festival which you can stay off site at, but still get on and off site ok then Reading and Leeds is a decent option

With no Glastonbury next year I'll give V another go. Living near the site I don't have to camp and I think getting off site each night is a big bonus as you get a good nights sleep and no worries about you tent getting visitors in the night.