Wally's with Brolly's at gigs

Guest eagles69

I went to My Morning Jacket at Somerset House and when the rain came down alot of people put umbrellas up. So the people behind them could not see luckily the rain didn't last long. Is this new I was watching footage of Latitude and noticed the same thing. With the summer we are havin it's a good chance it could b raining at the EOTR. Will you b happy with two stages outddors to stand behind a wally with a brolly.

I went to My Morning Jacket at Somerset House and when the rain came down alot of people put umbrellas up. So the people behind them could not see luckily the rain didn't last long. Is this new I was watching footage of Latitude and noticed the same thing. With the summer we are havin it's a good chance it could b raining at the EOTR. Will you b happy with two stages outddors to stand behind a wally with a brolly.

Umbrellas should be banned full stop....walking down a rainy high street is like trying to negotiate my way through a knife fight in Camberwell sometimes.

I was at Latitude and some of it was really bad.....I was stood behind someone in full waterproofs with hood and wellies who still somehow felt the need to hold a huge brolly three foot above their head.

(Rumours that I jogged said brolly so it poked the back of the head of a huge, angry-looking, bloke...who then made the brolly holder damn near fill those everso flash looking waterproofs are entirely unfounded!)

Well I actually remember putting my umbrella up last year when watching Iron and Wine on the Garden stage and no-one objected - although I suppose as I'm only just over 5ft tall, my brolly wasn't high enough to obscure anyone's view. I did check who was behind me and I was standing to the side rather than in the middle of the crowd.

Perhaps it might be a good idea (while we're at it)to ask people over 6ft to stand at the back so they don't block anyone's view?? ;)

Edited by talulah

Using one when you are stood to the side is fine but it's amazingly inconsiderate to use one near the front. Even if you ignore the fact that you are blocking peoples view you end up dripping water on the people next to you.

Umbrellas should be banned full stop....walking down a rainy high street is like trying to negotiate my way through a knife fight in Camberwell sometimes.

I suppose it also depends on whether you're talking about those huge golf umbrellas or little 'fold up' ones and also how close people are standing to each other ...

Could be almost as annoying as three six-footers ambling their way in front of you part way through a set.

Being over 6 feet tall and wanting to get fairly near the front for most gigs, I do get self conscious about my height and the potential for blocking the view of others, but what can you do? We've all paid the same money and have the same rights to every square inch of turf for the weekend. You win some, you lose some.

Being over 6 feet tall and wanting to get fairly near the front for most gigs, I do get self conscious about my height and the potential for blocking the view of others, but what can you do? We've all paid the same money and have the same rights to every square inch of turf for the weekend. You win some, you lose some.

I think the complaint is more about tall people walking to the front while a band is already playing and standing right in front of someone who is a good deal shorter? I definitely agree that's really annoying, though at 5'11 or so it's not such an issue for me. But you see it happen quite a bit.

End of the Road is definitely a festival you can wander up to the front for a lot of bands, even after they've started playing. But it's fairly easy to select a spot that's not in front of someone who is a lot shorter than you. Or just let them stand in front of you, that's what I often do.

Yes, that was my point ElGanzo. Essentially it's just about being considerate isn't it, whether it's brollies or height or anything else (chairs anyone?). Last year was my first EOTR and I found people were (in the main) really considerate. I don't know how people go on at bigger festivals where there are lots of flags being waved and people sitting on each other's shoulders etc.

@eagles69 - I totally get your point and you'll be OK with me, I don't even own an umbrella!

@Better Late... - I think I'd better get some "Tallest Man at the Festival" t-shirts printed for me and my fellow lanky freaks. Maybe the bag searchers can be asked to spot anyone over 6 foot and force them upon us ;-)

@ElGanzo - it ain't as easy as you think. If you kept letting the next shortest person in front of you, you'd soon be at the back, even at EOTR. Obviously one tries to be considerate, and let people in where possible, especially if there's some humour in the situation, but ultimately you have to say "well that's enough, I'm stopping here now".

@Thowky - what you're effectively saying is that tall people should be in place before the gig starts, or else stand at the back if late, and short people can saunter in at any time they wish and stand anywhere they want.

Edited by paulwa

I have one thing to say to you Mr. Buddha. Up the Baggies!

Tall people are a pain in the neck. Being a short arse, I am always mindful of not just marching in and blocking someones view……….tall freaks never show such consideration