Michael Eavis Q&A

Guest evergreenh

regarding his comments linking the younger crowd to the increase in dance music I'd say 2 things.

1. It wasn't long ago he wanted a younger crowd. Now they turn up and cause Leeds/Reading style havoc, he wants them gone.

2. The line up isn't released before the tickets are sold so people have no idea about the amount of dance music there is there, so i suspect that there are just more nobs going than before in general.

I, too, was present at the Q&A and I can confirm that the naked lady in question was not fit for any purpose a virile young man might have in mind. Can the original poster remember the context in which ME said that Pearl Jam are unilkely to play the Festival?

Edited by evergreenh

In my mind, Glastonbury has always been in part about Dance music. I appreciate that I'm a fairly young'un and my past(onbury) is not exactly lengthy, but the proliferation of dance music in it's various forms throughout the site is indicative of the nations music taste. It is indeed this diversity which keeps Glastonbury such an excellent event. The fact that you have hip hop, R&B, indie, rock and a plethora of dance spread out throughout the site is appealing.

The Dance Village has developed steadily since i've started going and this year I personally thought it was really good. The proximity of the Spirit of 71 stage did confuse me slightly when considering The Glade, but adequate programming could probably have solved that problem.

Matter of factly, when considering Shangri-La and Arcadia, dance / electro is what people just seem to be after that late at night. It's the pill popping multitude who are tearing around that part of site then anyway, and it suits them fine. I think when you contextualize the size of 99% of the dance acts and their (generally) smaller stage billing, with the bulk of the guitar-based bands on the main 3 stages, really, it's a decent balance. To suggest that it is inescapable is ridiculous. I went to "Players Ball", an R&B night at Stonebridge Bar on Saturday night, and also attended at least one hip hop karaoke session.

dance music at the festival and the proliferation therof is just the fashion innit? a few years back when this current run of festivals started it was all skinny jeans and landfill indie that The Kids were into. now it's more dancey stuff that is filling up the charts. something else'll come along in a bit, it's all cyclical.

dance music at the festival and the proliferation therof is just the fashion innit? a few years back when this current run of festivals started it was all skinny jeans and landfill indie that The Kids were into. now it's more dancey stuff that is filling up the charts. something else'll come along in a bit, it's all cycnical.

Really interesting OP.

I was surprised to hear how many tickets had been allocated to phone sales. After the first dale in October I didn't hear of a single person who bought over the phone.

I know ME says he is happy with Seetickets and its old ground but will Seetickets do anything about the 'back button' business? I spoke to someone who said their mate had bought 30 or 40 tickets that way.

Finally, ME has given us a great festival and I really hope that he didn't feel he was in the dock about the smaller issues.

Great thread, always good to hear what Eavis has to say.

As far as the younger person comment, I find that surprising considering he wanted to push for more of them not too long ago. Not all young people are moody selfish gits though and I'm surprised that the reason given was dance music, as I'd have put it more down to the indie bands playing and the whole hipster thing of it being cool to attend festivals.

Just want to clarify something.

ME made no reference to the demographic of the audience at all.

He said that he felt that there was too much dance music and that it was spilling out of the areas it was supposed to be contained in. I suggested that maybe there was a link to a number of comments I had seen on the forums here about there being a younger audience.

There was *a lot* of dance music this year. It actually just felt like a dance festival with a few non-dance stages (albeit big ones). I don't mind that, but there were dirty beats oozing from every sound system. Dance music is filthy at the moment (in a good way)