Tales from Glastonbury (Today's Guardian)

Guest Calum stoke

Nice feature in today's Guardian Guide. Some good stories from various musicians that have played and attended Glasto over the years.

Shame about Plan B being included in it. He's just talks about setting fire to his mate (which apparently was really funny), smoking heroin, moaning about not having a Winnebago and generally being a tit. Couple of my mate's saw his minders kicking the crap out of some poor guy at Shargri-La whilst he just stood around watching. God I hate him.

My link

Nice feature in today's Guardian Guide. Some good stories from various musicians that have played and attended Glasto over the years.

Shame about Plan B being included in it. He's just talks about setting fire to his mate (which apparently was really funny), smoking heroin, moaning about not having a Winnebago and generally being a tit. Couple of my mate's saw his minders kicking the crap out of some poor guy at Shargri-La whilst he just stood around watching. God I hate him.

My link

I'd like to quote this from the comments, because it really makes a good point:

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank BBC4 for last night's "Festivals Britannia", a 90-minute history of Britain's music festivals from the 1950s to the present. If anyone missed it I'm sure it'll be on iplayer.

It was brilliant. It was everything the BBC should be. I learned far more from it than I ever can from people who say stuff like "Last year, naturally, I camped in a teepee - glamping, as they call it". Or from the coverage of celebs like Kate Moss. Or from the inevitable "Glastonbury fashion" spreads we'll get next week.

It would also explain to certain posters precisely why every Glastonbury thread attracts "whingers", without them needing to spell it out (shell57, excellent post).

But not only that, they followed the documentary with 60 minutes of Radiohead at Glastonbury in 1997 (the best outdoor gig I've ever seen) and 60 minutes of Pulp at Glastonbury in 1995 (in the top three of gigs I wish I'd seen).

Couldn't help but notice the total absence of f**king great flagpoles in the crowd (there was one small one near the mixing desk).

Anyway, best night in I've had in ages. Thank you BBC.

This, from the comments section is excellent....

I first went to Glastonbury when I was like 17. I'd never been outside before and I remember spending the whole of the first day paying people to carry me around on their backs. But eventually I leaned to walk on soil without feeling like totally grossed out by the whole experience.

I basically lived on beer and crisps for like three days because I'm intolerant to non-microwaved cooked food and un-flouridated water. As for music I managed to see Jay-Z and that was about it. I didn't go to the hippie fields because they were like miles away and someone said there was like no phone charging points there or anything.

I spent most of the weekend at wi fi points checking my emails and uploading photos to facebook and also sitting in my tent endlessly cleaning the mud off my trainers with wet wipes. On Sunday I managed to lose my hair straighteners and so I had to go a whole day feeling like a a complete tramp which kind of ruined the whole weekend actually.

On Sunday evening apparently someone slipped me some LSD and I spent 7 hours chanting, "I am a soulless product of corporate fascism" over and over while sobbing my eyes out and apologizing profusely to nature but I have absolutely no recollection of this and I think my fiends just made that up.

I'd definitely go again if someone like Rihanna or Katy Perry was playing.

It was good to get a feel for what it must have been like to be a wild child of the 60's.

Prepare for a slaughtering....

nah, I'm lacking the motivation, he does his thing, some people like it. I spent a night checking out plan B (music and film) and decided that he wasn't for me, interviews I have read/seen suggest that he plays the role of the arrogant thug so well because it doesn't involve much acting for him.

There is a linked article on the guardian where 'stars' talk about who they want to see this year, which is worth reading, here

I didn't think it was possible to like Sir Guy of Garvey more, but there you have it.

What a top bloke. If I see him it won't be a polite 'alright Guy', he'll get the Bear Hug of his LIFE! Well, maybe not, don't want to find myself being kicked off site for harassment! :ph34r:

Sorry Guy .... Peace x

Guy sounds and seems like a top bloke,real down to earth regular man of the people.

A few of the poppy cr*p big at the minute acts really are wusses and spoilt,the wrong attitude for going to glasto,maybe half of them shouldnt even be booked?,then half of the im going for the sake of being cool brigade wouldnt turn up either!.

I didn't think it was possible to like Sir Guy of Garvey more, but there you have it.

What a top bloke. If I see him it won't be a polite 'alright Guy', he'll get the Bear Hug of his LIFE! Well, maybe not, don't want to find myself being kicked off site for harassment! :ph34r:

Sorry Guy .... Peace x

I had the privilege of chatting to Guy backstage at V Festival last year and he was a diamond. Didn't mind me asking questions and didn't mind me hanging around.

He also got stung by a wasp that had crawled up his sleeve and stated that that was the first time he'd been stung.

I said I would always remember being around at the time he was stung and honoured.. he said he'd always remember me being there as well. i doubt if he does but it'll always be one of my highlights :)

Top man.