Need an idea for holding up a solar shower!

Guest JennieT

Hi all, I'm thinking of a solar shower for this year, but from past experience you really need somewhere/something to hang it on or it doesnt really work. Does anyone have any ideas? I need something light and small enough to carry. Ive looked at them shower cubicles but they arent really light and think people might mistake it for a loo after a few drinks.

Any ideas??

Strong wooden coathanger, trek to a Harris Fence (the metal sort that are used as the inner fence), hang up coathanger and solar shower and get a bikini on and shower away! Works for me.

It really is the only option tbh. Those bags weigh a ton otherwise as you know and unless you bring in some sort of rig, using them at the tent is near impossible unless you sit and shower and have the bag on a camping chair. And as the sites are so packed its fairly easy to just hide away behind a tent next to a Harris Fence.

There was a picture knocking about on here a day or two ago of someone who had set up a whole shower with curtain against a festyfence!!! :D

What about the frame for one of those portable projector screens but without the screen?

Maybe with one of those tunnels that dogs run through in agility events attached to it.. :lol:

Yeah, we had the shower cubicle....mamajojo's keen mind always on the go. Always finds a solution! :D

BUT... We filled the solar showers too full so when we hung them up they tore. They are flimsy as hel! Ended up tipping water over our heads from small water carriers.

Going for something different this year...battery powered shower I think. With a twist. Not finalized details yet, but determined to have a shower each day, as found it just so refreshing each dsy last year

Edited by ggoon

yep, it was me that hooked up the shower cubicle avaunt the fence- bamboo sticks and tarpaulin!

this was it by Sunday- it had looked a bit 'healthier' previously!

SHOWER.jpg

just make sure you stand in a big bucket to shower(so it doesn't flood under someone else's tent!!)

Edited by MamaJojo

Team work and a small stool.

Usually just need help for the hair washing bit, but everyone of our group of 5 was clean and fresh every day thanks to a pair of solar showers. They are freezing in the morning but great for an early afternoon refresh.

Edited by Scouse Andy

As above - unless you're a complete prude, just use the Greenpeace showers in the afternoon (they're sex-segregated communal).

Otherwise, a long wooden pole driven into the ground with three tight guy ropes would probably hold up the water, but asking for other problems.

unless you catch the waste water and dispose of it in the grey-water tanks surely showering (if it involves soap, shower gel etc) is simply polluting the ground and the natural water supplies? GFL make a big fuss about pissing in hedges so i cant see them being too chuffed about doing this to be honest...

:unsure:

Well, they are offering solar showers for green travellers, so I'm guessing that either that phrase means something other than solar showers or else they are quite happy with people using them. The fact that they seem to be identified with a green initiative suggests there is not an environmental concern with their use in the eyes of the festival.

We heat the water in a solar shower then put it into a garden pump action sprayer, this has a long tube which can be attached at a height and the water container stays on the floor, Hoselock do a good one. We use environmentally safe products as we camp on a friends organic farm also so pollution is not an issue but if you are concerned you could always stand in a bucket.

Another thought - in Halfords today I saw a hand-pump pressurising shower (actually sold as a portable car wash it seems - http://goo.gl/wOPcf ).

It's basically like those garden sprayer bottles you can pump up to pressurise, just these have a shower head on. I've often taken them (garden ones) along to festivals in the past and had it borrowed by various girls to wash their hair etc.

You'd have to work out a way to get it hot - or just initially keep the water in a solar shower style thing. However as you pressurise it, there would be no need to lift it up. Whether the hose would reach far enough is another matter and it'd probably benefit from being on a chair or similar at least.