Alternative Vote

Guest doogie

Whilst I'm in the campaign and will obviously vote Yes, I don't think it's been effectively run. I've heard the argument 'AV will make for less corrupt politicians' and I just don't see that happening. Power corrupts, it doesn't matter a f**k what the voting system is. The campaign would have been much better saying, 'Do you really want to vote for FPTP? Really?' FPTP is a fabulous system if there's only 2 choices on the ballot paper. Um, My ballot paper will have, at the very least, 4 names on it (in Scotland).

The campaign should have used examples out with politics to prove their point - few countries use AV, but it is still widely used for a variety of purposes. To take one example, the Oscar for Best Film is now voted for by AV. This happened as a result of the number of nominees being increased to 10 - using FPTP could have meant a film winning with a tiny amount of winning votes. There are some (high profile) seats which will get near-to 10 candidates at the next general election (probably Cameron and Milibands seats) - meaning the winning candidate could win with just over 10% of the vote. The arguments against FPTP are too many to mention.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Alternative Vote was "scrap politics and politicians entirely" then I'd vote but since it's all part of a system that has left me feeling completely disaffected by it all I don't think I'll bother. I want a box that says "Go f**k yourselves". No deferred allegiance would result; just a vote of no confidence in the system.

Every time I see any leaflets or information its always about people I don't relate to in any way - the same old divided society forming into pathetic bickering groups about short-term problems that mean nothing and never will. I read them, and they all end up in the bin. I've decided that expecting a politician to make my life better would be a pretty sad thing to do.

Edited by Purple Monkey

If the Alternative Vote was "scrap politics and politicians entirely" then I'd vote but since it's all part of a system that has left me feeling completely disaffected by it all I don't think I'll bother. I want a box that says "Go f**k yourselves". No deferred allegiance would result; just a vote of no confidence in the system.

Every time I see any leaflets or information its always about people I don't relate to in any way - the same old divided society forming into pathetic bickering groups about short-term problems that mean nothing and never will. I read them, and they all end up in the bin. I've decided that expecting a politician to make my life better would be a pretty sad thing to do.

People who don't vote shouldn't complain afterwards about the results of elections. Given what so many people in so many countries have gone through, and are still going through, to get the right to vote I find the level of complacency about elections in this country saddening.

People who don't vote shouldn't complain afterwards about the results of elections. Given what so many people in so many countries have gone through, and are still going through, to get the right to vote I find the level of complacency about elections in this country saddening.