Campervan pitches and getting stuck

Guest streetdaddy

Have just scored our West Campervan ticket! Have a reasonably large motorhome (3.2 tonnes) and wondering if the campervan spots are on a hard surface, eg. gravel, cement, or are they just on grass or dirt? I have some painful experiences getting bogged in wet grass fields and want to plan ahead for if I should bring something to have under the wheels to avoid getting stuck when trying to leave!

Have just scored our West Campervan ticket! Have a reasonably large motorhome (3.2 tonnes) and wondering if the campervan spots are on a hard surface, eg. gravel, cement, or are they just on grass or dirt? I have some painful experiences getting bogged in wet grass fields and want to plan ahead for if I should bring something to have under the wheels to avoid getting stuck when trying to leave!

Westside is the best side!

Actually I have no idea... I'm over here from Oz and this is my first Glasto. Got to the booking page where you choose East or West and had not much idea which to get. Paranoia about missing out on CV ticket all together forced a quick google about East v West and the main contributors to our decision were Hill of Death and proximity to certain areas - but looking at the map of the festival it all seems to be much of a muchness in my opinion...

anyone else care to weigh in?

I've only been in east which is just grass fields. I'd imagine west is the same, as the whole area around the festival site id farmland, but i'm sure someone who's camped in west can confirm this.

We didn't have any problems, but i'd imagine if it rains there could be potential for getting stuck...

Westside is the best side!

Actually I have no idea... I'm over here from Oz and this is my first Glasto. Got to the booking page where you choose East or West and had not much idea which to get. Paranoia about missing out on CV ticket all together forced a quick google about East v West and the main contributors to our decision were Hill of Death and proximity to certain areas - but looking at the map of the festival it all seems to be much of a muchness in my opinion...

anyone else care to weigh in?

Always a good idea to be somewhat prepared. Worst case scenario is that the CV fields become muddy lakes and it takes all day for the tractors to pull everyone out. Having your own mats or planks of wood won't help all that much though as you won't be able to jump the queue anyway. That said there wasn't even a drop of rain last year so fingers crossed.

If its too muddy tractors will appear as if by magic to pull people out. But it takes forever.

If its a bit wet on the sunday evening and you're at all worried - especially with the weight of your van - I'd suggest setting off either late sunday or really early monday morning. The later you leave it the more churned up it gets and that's when you're more likely to get stuck.

As to East vs West - I've stayed in both. From West you go through lots of camping areas when you enter the site before you get to anywhere of real interest, from East you're nearer to kids field and stages but the last time I was in East I was so far away from the gate it was a long trek to anywhere. And the Hill of Death is a real pain if its muddy, it can be really slippy. Not known West in the rain.

Edited by oldie

If its too muddy tractors will appear as if by magic to pull people out. But it takes forever.

If its a bit wet on the sunday evening and you're at all worried - especially with the weight of your van - I'd suggest setting off either late sunday or really early monday morning. The later you leave it the more churned up it gets and that's when you're more likely to get stuck.

As to East vs West - I've stayed in both. From East you go through lots of camping areas when you enter the site before you get to anywhere of real interest, from West you're nearer to kids field and stages but the last time I was in West I was so far away from the gate it was a long trek to anywhere. And the Hill of Death is a real pain if its muddy, it can be really slippy. Not known East in the rain.

A Little off topic but relevant I think.

My mate will be camping with his daughter next to our caravan but he will arrive seperately to us. will he be able to come straight in to campervan west from the road on foot after parking his car as you can on the east or will he have to enter site and then into cv field from gate e? anyone do similar last year? we have always used east before and no prob there.

Cheers

I've not been in the west CV field but it took us 4 hours to get out of the car park on that side in 09. Last year in CV east we woke up at 9, took the awning down packed up the van and we were on the A37 for 10.30. I think the queues largely depend on what time you leave. So many people get up and go for 6.30 now that in my experience its actually better to sleep in a bit and not rush if your wanting to avoid the queues.

Hi - have always gone to East but have got fed up with getting there early and being put at the back, so went to the West this time. Looking at the map it looked smaller and therefore easier to leave on the dreaded Monday. Last year I was in a queue for hours trying to get out of East, and we all got grumpy - not a way you want to finish. I was hoping this move would save me. As someone who has been in both, is this a reasonable assumption?

Cheers - thanks for letting me know - thought so - west it is then, If you see two old gits, mildly embarrassed that they are in a stupid looking "wicked" campervan with a really bad graffiti design on the side, drop by and say hello!

Our last three Glasgow has involved pitching up in east (suspect west is the same) we always drive on to four wooden blocks which by the end of the festival they have sunk and the gyres are at ground level.

In 2007 when it was really wet we were in the field with a steep incline to the exit. Most people drove down the hill to queue back up it and got stuck. We walked the route and stayed high and drove straight out.

We are not going this year so it's going to be soooooooo hot

Have fun