It's that time again...

Guest Chavmeisterdeluxe

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont want repeat bookings? Don't listen to metal. Reading, IOW, TITP etc have a bigger pool of talent to choose from as they arnt restricted to just Metal/Hard rock.

yeah , which is why i don't really go to download etc anymore, ive seen it all before, and its tiresome.

the QOTSA shout is a good one, are they about europe beginning of June?

QOTSA would be a good choice for me, but do you seriously think they will sell more tickets based on QOTSA then Def Leppard? at the end of the day its a business, theres no festival if no one goes, so they need the punters. Def Leppard will sell more tickets the QOTSA.

Plus i dont think Download has the balls to book someone like QOTSA to headline.

Edited by Matticus

Well they're in Europe throughout late May, surely they'll stick around for the Euro fests in June?

Im not sure about the whole tickets sales aspect, Def Leppard are obviously aimed at the Classic Rock audience, but should Download book a classic Rock day if the acts aren't there to play it? Surely High Voltage is going after this market these days

This will be my first Download. There are a few bands I want to see already, nut for regulars I can see the problem with repeat bookings etc.

I think there is only so long that a festival can keep bringing back older type bands before evryone gets sick of it. Yes its good for the older clientel but as a festival going forward it has to be more dynamic. They could easily have competed to get Weezer with Soni. Reading manages to pull some quality rock acts as well. There are a load of older bands on the line-up even the like of korn are getting on now.

Def Leppard could have all been down to money, or the fact his first choices didn't come off.

I'm sure someone different like the Beastie Boys would have went down a storm.

Download should have had the balls to book QOTSA, or, even though I don't like them, BFMV. Either would have been less controversial than Soni giving Biffy Clyro a headlining spot.

But of guaranteed headliner size bands, they could have got Iron Maiden. OK, reasonably extensive UK tour + playing Soni last year reduces the draw, but it's still gotta be better than Def Leppard only 2 years later?

Still, Def Leppard probably was the second best they had available. While I'd have loved Tool, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, none of them are actually touring Europe by the looks of it. They were rumoured out of hope more than anything.