Campsite Atmosphere

Guest bigcatmerv

Hi all,

Went to Glasto for the first and only time in 2000 and had a ball, but that was just by myself and didn't really care where I was camped and can't even remember now eleven years later, but this year I am returning with a group and keep hearing about different atmospheres in different campsites. The official site gives a few details, but I think that really I'd like to get some advice from those really in the know, the punters. We're hoping for somewhere quietish, prefereably with a little bit more room to be had. Of course we're realistic and know nowhere is gonna be silent and we're always going to have close neighbours, but if anyone could give a rundown of the campsites and what the general vibe is in some of them, that would be awesome, thanks!

Its changed. Massively.

Staying out all night in Shangri La is where it's at these days. The campsites are positively silent nowadays :(

We always tried to camp at the top of Big Ground, up near Radio Avalon/Worthy FM. One of the few places near flushing toilets that were still clean on Monday. Also got a 24 hour cafe, not far from the police station, medical centre and cashpoints. Friendly atmosphere but can still get sleep if you want. Also being up high less prone to flooding - not that we're going to have rain this year.

Lucy > I've toyed with suggesting to our group to camp elsehwere this year.....maybe somewhere a bit more lively..but you say campsites are dead now?

I first went in 2004 and campted in Top Webbs Ash, and since then I've been in Kidney Mead (05,08 & 09) or Big Ground (07 & 10) which are essentially the same area!

Wondering if somewhere more lively might be better? But like you say it seems everyone wants to "go out" rather than mingle in the campsites.

Last year I came back in from my nights out at various times (earliest 2am - latest 6am) and the campsite (Big Ground) always seemed to be quiet.

A few of our group fancy setting up home around Big Ground/Row Mead area after checking out pics of maps, etc - which is fine with me. Quick q - would it be best to walk up to Gate B (avoiding the HOD - don't know if this is even possible?!) from the car parks or enter at Gate C & make our way up once through the gate?

Maybe its because I mostly stay out all night I do not notice there being liveliness in the campsites but these days, when walking past or through anywhere near Pennards or Park (which is home for me)in the early/late hours, it really is silent more or less. Certainly compared to when we had soundsystems all over central area keeping it loud wherever you went.

You dont get the site all encompassing big boom boom bass sounds that used to flow over the site and ricochet off the Uberfence 24/7. (This may have something to do with the Uberfence being half a mile further away from where it used to be.) The near silence lends itself to the campsites being noticeably quieter because its noticeably quieter in the dark hours unless you live near SL. The Dance Village shuts by 2am more or less these days too. Even standing outside a tent there, you are hard pushed to be able to hear much.

It's bloody eerie to be honest, especially if you can recall the noisier days. When we were camped right up against the inner Harris fencing just apart from the Uberfence in Park Home in 03 , we could make out the Blue Room Session being broadcast from the Radio 1 stage next to the Orange Chill and Charge word for word it was that loud and clear as it bounced off the Uberfence. This was at 5am on Sunday/Monday morning and it was turned down with it being that time of morning!!! THUD THUD THUD 24/7...joy!

In fact, thinking about it now, I DO stay out so that I don't HAVE to listen to the silence in the campsites I dislike it that much. Its really unnerving. Back at the tent around 5am and all you can hear is snores and the birds instead of Annie Nightingale ripping it up a couple of fields away or a distant soundsystem doing its business. I really really dislike it. It aint right :(

Edited by LusciousLucy

Maybe its because I mostly stay out all night I do not notice there being liveliness in the campsites but these days, when walking past or through anywhere near Pennards or Park (which is home for me)in the early/late hours, it really is silent more or less. Certainly compared to when we had soundsystems all over central area keeping it loud wherever you went.

You dont get the site all encompassing big boom boom bass sounds that used to flow over the site and ricochet off the Uberfence 24/7. (This may have something to do with the Uberfence being half a mile further away from where it used to be.) The near silence lends itself to the campsites being noticeably quieter because its noticeably quieter in the dark hours unless you live near SL. The Dance Village shuts by 2am more or less these days too. Even standing outside a tent there, you are hard pushed to be able to hear much.

It's bloody eerie to be honest, especially if you can recall the noisier days. When we were camped right up against the inner Harris fencing just apart from the Uberfence in Park Home in 03 , we could make out the Blue Room Session being broadcast from the Radio 1 stage next to the Orange Chill and Charge word for word it was that loud and clear as it bounced off the Uberfence. This was at 5am on Sunday/Monday morning and it was turned down with it being that time of morning!!! THUD THUD THUD 24/7...joy!

In fact, thinking about it now, I DO stay out so that I don't HAVE to listen to the silence in the campsites I dislike it that much. Its really unnerving. Back at the tent around 5am and all you can hear is snores and the birds instead of Annie Nightingale ripping it up a couple of fields away or a distant soundsystem doing its business. I really really dislike it. It aint right :(

PussInBoots.gif

that is a cracking gif - very cute

Have you seen the felix computer cat ?

send me a pm as I have it on my server - its well worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with Lucy - doesn't seem to matter where you go, campsites are pretty devoid of any atmosphere these days. Doesn't bother me so much though, usually by the time I get back to the tent (usually around 5/6am) I need to crash (I cannot sleep in a tent past about 9am!) so am thankful of the quiet really.

I do miss the old days a bit though, but no point dwelling on these things :)

• 4 weeks later...

We always tried to camp at the top of Big Ground, up near Radio Avalon/Worthy FM. One of the few places near flushing toilets that were still clean on Monday. Also got a 24 hour cafe, not far from the police station, medical centre and cashpoints. Friendly atmosphere but can still get sleep if you want. Also being up high less prone to flooding - not that we're going to have rain this year.