Quiet secure camping fairly near all the action

Guest Miathedog

Hi, been going to Glasto for years but always camped in Cockmill due to having OH's daughter with us. Now she is older, doing GCSEs and won't be coming any more but we love the chilled and safe vibe in Cockmill and its situation. We don't want party central at night, but somewhere with a relaxed vibe, not too much of a trek to Pyramid and Shangri La, and somewhere that feels secure from thieves. Does anyone have any suggestions? There'll be a group of about 7 of us this year, aged 30-44.

thanks!

Hi, been going to Glasto for years but always camped in Cockmill due to having OH's daughter with us. Now she is older, doing GCSEs and won't be coming any more but we love the chilled and safe vibe in Cockmill and its situation. We don't want party central at night, but somewhere with a relaxed vibe, not too much of a trek to Pyramid and Shangri La, and somewhere that feels secure from thieves. Does anyone have any suggestions? There'll be a group of about 7 of us this year, aged 30-44.

thanks!

Firstly, brace yourselves. There's no equivalent to Cockmill on the site. Anything similarly close to the Pyramid will be quite a bit noisier. And, as I'm sure you know, that end of the site is a fair old hike from the late area.

Maybe consider Dairy? It's out of the way and more peaceful, but the track makes for an easy run over to Shangri-La, Arcadia et al.

Thanks for the replies, Dairy does look very handy for the Park and Shangri La. A long way to the Pyramid though but I guess something will have to give. We've never had a problem with thieves but read a lot of worrying posts after the last two years - lock ups definitely the way forward!

The bottom of Dairy is perfect for your needs. Its nice and quiet, great amenities, a not too unreasonable walk from PGD. There is an exit that comes out at nearly at the bottom of Park just near to where the Medical tent is and then its a 10-20 minute hop over the back of the Other Stage field over to the Pyramid. The Dance Village is 10+ mins away along with the extra walk to the John Peel.

I lived right on that exit corner this year and it was beyond perfect as a location for everything on site. With the fine weather you really could just get to all the relatively nearby places in double quick time. (I was even able to 'pop' home from the Dance Village for a quick freshen up and was back partying in less than half an hour since leaving my friends).

As for proximity to Park and SL, pfft...doesnt even need thinking about.

Edited by LusciousLucy

We camped in Big Ground, up at the top near Radio Avalon/Worthy FM for years. Gentle stroll down for the Pyramid, great views but not too noisy. Also had flushing toilets that were still clean on Monday and not far from the 24 hour cafe if you want a midfdle of the night chat and coffee. Also being on top of the hill not much risk of flooding.

The bottom of Dairy is perfect for your needs. Its nice and quiet, great amenities, a not too unreasonable walk from PGD. There is an exit that comes out at nearly at the bottom of Park just near to where the Medical tent is and then its a 10-20 minute hop over the back of the Other Stage field over to the Pyramid. The Dance Village is 10+ mins away along with the extra walk to the John Peel.

I lived right on that exit corner this year and it was beyond perfect as a location for everything on site. With the fine weather you really could just get to all the relatively nearby places in double quick time. (I was even able to 'pop' home from the Dance Village for a quick freshen up and was back partying in less than half an hour since leaving my friends).

As for proximity to Park and SL, pfft...doesnt even need thinking about.

• 1 month later...

some of the fields up near cockmill are quite quiet and still near to the pyramid like big ground, michaels mead and the very top of kidney mead looked quite nice when we walked through last year, we were camped in pennards hill though so anything seemed quieter than that :D

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know the name of the field but I camped just next to the disabled camping area to the side of the campsite by Pyramid. That was really nice and peaceful but not a million miles away from everything. Shangri-La is a bit of a trek though.

Edited by sisterofmercy

I don't know the name of the field but I camped just next to the disabled camping area to the side of the campsite by Pyramid. That was really nice and peaceful but not a million miles away from everything. Shangri-La is a bit of a trek though.