Sziget 2011

Guest kaisherz

Alright guys

Looking for an international fest to go to, in a bit of a dilemma. Went open'er a couple years ago and loved it, but colplay are headlining this year and not really into them so we thought we would try something different. Seriously considering Werchter, but keeping our options open. Came across this thread and thought would have a look into to it! Just a couple questions really, what are the general prices of food/drink at Sziget? Also is there a theme of music that will be going on? Whats previous lineups been like?

Thanks for any input!

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi folks

The boyfriend and I are pretty decided that we will be going to Sziget this year. We were going to go to T in the Park and stay in the Residence but then we worked out that we could fly to Budapest and have 11 nights in a hotel and tickets to Sziget for pretty much the same price so that was that!

Couple of questions if nobody minds- we are definitely going for a hotel rather than camping as the thought of camping for a week or more when it can get to 30-odd degrees doesn't appeal. Does this mean that we will be spending a lot of time queueing every day- i.e. queuing to get on the boat over then queueing to get in to the site itself? Also, is it easy to get back into the city at any time or will we have to be careful about when we head back each night? If so we may have to reconsider the camping option, in which case, how are the facilities, compared to say T?

Also, does anyone have any hotel recommendations other than the ones already on this thread?

Thanks heaps in advance for any help, much appreciated! :D

Hi folks

The boyfriend and I are pretty decided that we will be going to Sziget this year. We were going to go to T in the Park and stay in the Residence but then we worked out that we could fly to Budapest and have 11 nights in a hotel and tickets to Sziget for pretty much the same price so that was that!

Couple of questions if nobody minds- we are definitely going for a hotel rather than camping as the thought of camping for a week or more when it can get to 30-odd degrees doesn't appeal. Does this mean that we will be spending a lot of time queueing every day- i.e. queuing to get on the boat over then queueing to get in to the site itself? Also, is it easy to get back into the city at any time or will we have to be careful about when we head back each night? If so we may have to reconsider the camping option, in which case, how are the facilities, compared to say T?

Also, does anyone have any hotel recommendations other than the ones already on this thread?

Thanks heaps in advance for any help, much appreciated! :D

It can easily get into the 30s, but don't worry: it's dry land heat which is way more tolerable than the humid heat we're all used to, drinks are cheap and there are plenty of pools and bathhouses around the city to cool down. Especially when none of the afternoon bands are pleasing it's worth taking the day off and energise for the evening and night.

Yea Stevo, I saw that yesterday on the facebooooook. Good news. Its also good news that you dont feel the heat as much as you do here. One of our main reasons for going here was Glasto nearly killed us last year going to bed at gone 5 and gettin up at 7 cause your tent was already a sweatbox! We'll sit around the city bars during the day then in the nice air con, and hit the festy at night! Im pretty excited, havent been abroad in years! Lovely apaartment booked too.

man that is a relief. phew for good sense prevailing!

i would have been so disappointed had they moved it. especially after booking apartment ages ago!

i am stayin just at Margit Island on the Fisherman's Bastion side. Is this going to be ok to get to and from the fest in the early hours? i didnt really think that through. oops.

i should also maybe have looked for a place with a pool considering it gets so warm! am so excited already for this. music, beer and sunshine, what more could i want! :D

ok so that pool sounds good. it isnt about age, tag can be fun at any age! i call it tig though over here!

am glad that i will be able to get to and from fest ok. is it a far walk to fest site from the margit bridge? i imagine i will be doing a lot of wandering about before heading to fest.

can't wait for the announcements to start. woo.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm EXTREMELY interested in going to Sziget this year but would like to ask some more questions first.

1. What kind of atmosphere does Sziget have?

I've been to Glastonbury and Bestival last year and I loved the care free, huge variety kind of atmosphere there. Is Sziget similar?

2. Does Sziget go on throughout the night? Does Sziget never sleep or is it similar to Werchter where after about 2AM all the music/activities immediately sleep and most people it seems just head off to sleep or mull around in their campsites

3. I hear there is a swimming pool at Sziget. WOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH?!

4. Is it more advisable to rent an apartment for a week within Budapest or camp within the festival grounds? I'm aware of the ravenous heat within the festival...

5. What is Szigets' attitude to drugs? This isn't a major big deal to me as I'm not into narcotics much. During the summer I am however partial to the odd puff of the magic dragon. Would this be frowned upon or puninshed hard?

6.What are the crowds like at Sziget? This is kind of linked to the atmosphere but are the crowd full of energy or just meander glumly and stand still for most bands. I found at Werchter (other than the dance acts) the crowds were pretty boring and lifeless.

Thanks!

1. What kind of atmosphere does Sziget have?

A great one, definitely comparable to Glasto. There are more Dutchies like me than any other nationality so that probably shapes things a little: party hard and still remain laidback when necessary.

2. Does Sziget go on throughout the night?

DJ sets generally last until 5am-ish.

3. I hear there is a swimming pool at Sziget. WOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH?!

Only at the VIP camping, but there are several across Budapest just a few overground stops away. See my previous posts.

4. Is it more advisable to rent an apartment for a week within Budapest or camp within the festival grounds? I'm aware of the ravenous heat within the festival...

Entirely up to you. I've done both, camping is a little more fun as you stay within the festival atmosphere. The heat is significant but it's a dry heat and other than having a sauna in your tent it's quickly forgotten when out and about.

5. What is Szigets' attitude to drugs?

They tend to focus on the dealers, I wouldn't worry about smoking a spliff. Getting it there is probably the biggest risk (baggage control at entrance is strict).

6.What are the crowds like at Sziget?

Totally depends on the act, the location and the weather. And yourself: just because others don't dance doesn't mean you can't! :)

• 2 weeks later...

rumours...check the frequency line up...they often share a few headliners.

foo fighters and chemical brothers both pretty likely i reckon.

Personally i'm hoping for arcade fire, the strokes and coldplay, with fleet foxes, elbow, beirut and bright eyes lower on the bill.

I can dream :)

Edited by radio