Tent Space

Guest cammie81

Hi All

Assuming that all of my friends are successful in getting tickets for next years festival I was wondering about tent space.

We usually camp in a 12 man tent like this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Berth-Person-Family-Camping-Large/dp/B002HXRIO4

Will we have any problem finding a space big enough to pitch out tent?

Thanks

Cammie81

We had a nine man which was shared amongst three for a few years then amongst just the two of us in 2008. It looked similar to the one you're looking at but not quite as big!

Was class the last time we used it - a bedroom each and a spare bedroom for storing all the chairs, wellies and other misc items (kept my alcohol safely with me though!) - this left the plentiful communal space for sitting and chilling out in.

I do remember the slog from the car park; stop-start in the queue waiting for 8am, the trek across what felt like 5 or 6 fields, to and past the campervan field then the negotiation down the hill of death :wacko: my mate and I carried a strap each of the bag but was still awful. Then there was the return journey following stuffing the wet tent in to the bag which appeared to have shrunk two-fold..... Lived to tell the tail though!

Going to try one of those Quechua pop up tents next time. I know they're a bit 'big' when packed but I swear to God I certainly won't miss lugging the beast around....

Good Luck :)

• 2 weeks later...

who needs a massive tent anyway.?

most of the time your out in the fezzy having a good time

i only go back to eat and sleep

sitting around drinking and smoking at the end of the night fair enough but you don't need a 9 man tent with indoors communal area surely

if you spend that much time at your tent you gone the wrong place...

We used a 12 man like that for many years. Great that you can stand up in the middle and also have space for cooking and to store the communal things like the trolley you need to get it on site. We always used to camp up at the top of Home Ground and provided you get there reasonably early on Wednesday don't have problems finding enough space.

I love having decent communal space so that when you get back at the end of the evening you can sit and chat and put the world to rights.

who needs a massive tent anyway.?

most of the time your out in the fezzy having a good time

i only go back to eat and sleep

sitting around drinking and smoking at the end of the night fair enough but you don't need a 9 man tent with indoors communal area surely

if you spend that much time at your tent you gone the wrong place...

• 2 weeks later...

That's right, most of the time you are out and about having a good time. When you're not out and about having a good time and are back at the tent, you can have a good time too. It's always nice to have plenty of space to sprawl out in when it's pissing down outside

Is this the same for everyone then? Particularly those (without children) who have campervans and the like? Afterall, if they only need to go back to eat and sleep then a tent and a sleeping bag should surely do.

I mean, why can't people accept that people like different things? I'd really love to know how exactly it is I am in the wrong place due to my choice in tents or how I choose to spen some of my time at a festival!

It was hardly the Taj Mahal like. We should all go around pulling down all the gazebos too then ey? I mean, afterall - according to a number of people reading these forums they are not needed and are using up valuable space. Hey, while we're at it we should start monitoring how much water people use at the taps too...

Tell you what though, if we could be arsed to measure the area that our 9 man tent took up (last time just between 2 of us) and compare it to the space that 2 average sized tents take up I guarantee there will not be a lot in it.

Hi All

Assuming that all of my friends are successful in getting tickets for next years festival I was wondering about tent space.

We usually camp in a 12 man tent like this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Berth-Person-Family-Camping-Large/dp/B002HXRIO4

Will we have any problem finding a space big enough to pitch out tent?

Thanks

Cammie81

Hi All B)

You need to think about the weight and how much you can carry. We had a 45 min walk from the car which was parked at west51 carpark to where

we pitched our tent. there is no stright direct routes to camping areas you have to follow hedgerows, fence lines and tracks to get to all camping

the walk can be tough if it is wet & muddy.

If you decide to take that tent think about buying a small truck to pull all your gear. if you dont go early you will probably struggle to find a space that is big enough for that tent.

Gazebos. At the sonisphere festival 2010 we was told to take it down by security because to much space was being taken up by the Gazebo they said.

May be smaller tents would be a better option but everybody to there own ideas. :blink:

Gazebos - that wasn't the discussion - but now you mention it - yep, they do take up space and are a pain - hence why Glastonbury kindly asks you not to bring them

Water (at Glastonbury anyway) isn't finite.

Errr - don't really need to measure a 9 man tent to see its bigger than a 2 man tent. One feels you're clutching at straws with this argument!