will I ever be able to go to stone circle again?!

Guest dungers

I have just attended my first glastonbury and I was unable to get a ticket so myself and 7 of my friends joined the recycling crew to litter pick.

I did my first shift on the friday and on the saturday I slept in and didnt make my shift. My friends came back horrified at the work and said it was awful and was nearly reuining their glasto experience so I decided not to go back which I know is quite naughty of me but I doubt im the only one to ever do this!

I have been told lots of different stories like I will only be blacklisted if I try and work the recyling team again but I have also heard that I am blacklisted for good now and will never be able to get a ticket even normally.

would somebody be able to shine any light on this for me??

Thank you!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The work is not 'awful'. It's essential for the future of the festival, this will be why there were signs dotted around the site pleading for more litter pickers for cash. I'm dissapointed you and your friends cried off so quickly. If you just went to your shift late and apoligised it would have been fine, it's not Mcdonalds.

I know, im not proud of what I did. my friends all stuck it out but I did not...I had friends djing in the unfair ground so that changed everything.

I just hope I can go back with a proper ticket this year and I will NEVER drop litter again!

Blacklisted from Recycling yes, but not from being able to purchase a ticket like any normal punter. However, I would not be surprised if the various groups shared information between them of who they thought was reliable or not, e.g. Oxfam.

Shame. Doubt you'd get blacklisted for more than working. I thought the litter pickers this year did a great job and I respect everyone that does that. Don't beat yourself up too much, shit happens, you'll just have to pay with the rest of the punters next year, worst case scenario is using your picture, your address and a different name, surely? It's not like interpol are photo-recognising every application ;)

Edited by Spindles

"My friends came back horrified at the work and said it was awful and was nearly reuining their glasto experience so I decided not to go back which I know is quite naughty of me but I doubt im the only one to ever do this!"

Hardly "awful"....it wasn't licking out the long drops and pulling lobsters out of Jayne Mansfield's arse was it? Oh sorry...you wouldn't know. Awful would be cleaning the chemical toilets without gloves and nose pegs. Ruin their Glastonbury experience??? They wouldn't have had one if they hadn't been doing the picking up.....but much respect to them for actually turning up. I think you only typed that to try to get some sympathy........well none here layzee boy.

I worked this year as a litter picker and we had a few people as part of the team I worked on (Jazz/World) eithery do 1 day and disappear or turn up late or miss their shifts completely. I know that some who missed their morning shifts were able to do afternoon shifts in the recycling centre to make up their hours so they completed 4 shifts.

Speaking with our team leader she was of the opinion that you could well be blacklisted from not only working but getting a ticket full stop.

As far as the work goes- yes it was hard work especially in the heat and made the festival a differnt experience but it enabled me to get to the festival as wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise and had a good crack with my fellow workers and you did get a sense of satisfaction from seeing a clean field after you'd cleaned it up.

Could well end up doing it again next year

Edited by dondo

I worked this year as a litter picker and we had a few people as part of the team I worked on (Jazz/World) eithery do 1 day and disappear or turn up late or miss their shifts completely. I know that some who missed their morning shifts were able to do afternoon shifts in the recycling centre to make up their hours so they completed 4 shifts.

Speaking with our team leader she was of the opinion that you could well be blacklisted from not only working but getting a ticket full stop.

As far as the work goes- yes it was hard work especially in the heat and made the festival a differnt experience but it enabled me to get to the festival as wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise and had a good crack with my fellow workers and you did get a sense of satisfaction from seeing a clean field after you'd cleaned it up.

Could well end up doing it again next year

Logistically, how would Seetickets be able to do this? I've never heard of anyone gettign through the ticket buying process for it then to be rejected. Commercially, why would GF stop you buying a ticket next year like anyone else? I mean ultimately as long as they sell all their tickets, why would they care if you'd done a bunk on this years litter-picking duty, they still got your deposit, it's not like they've monetarialy lost out on any cash.

Two of my friends went litter picking this year. Yes, it was hard work. No, they didn't even think to skip their shifts. They did it a) because they couldn't get tickets and B) because they wanted to "give something back"

Not only did you use it as a way to get a ticket, you ended up making the others do YOUR work.

Not one iota of sympathy from me :angry:

Im not looking for sympathy at all! I had the best glastonbury experience ever, being able to watch the sunrise at stone circle, not needing to know what time it is, I did 6 hours work and didnt drop another peice of litter the whole time i was there (well almost)

I thought it was a myth or something your team leader tells you to stop you from skipping the work, i registered last year and its valid unil 2012 so fingers croosed I get a ticket for next year! I cant only go once!

Anyone who says they enjoyued litter picking and it was satisfying is taking shite! It was awful but yes crucial as part of the festival, but I guess thats why they over staff as at least 4 people off each team did what I did, its going to happen, a fact of glastonbury life if you will!

Im not looking for sympathy at all! I had the best glastonbury experience ever, being able to watch the sunrise at stone circle, not needing to know what time it is, I did 6 hours work and didnt drop another peice of litter the whole time i was there (well almost)

I thought it was a myth or something your team leader tells you to stop you from skipping the work, i registered last year and its valid unil 2012 so fingers croosed I get a ticket for next year! I cant only go once!

Anyone who says they enjoyued litter picking and it was satisfying is taking shite! It was awful but yes crucial as part of the festival, but I guess thats why they over staff as at least 4 people off each team did what I did, its going to happen, a fact of glastonbury life if you will!

Two of my friends went litter picking this year. Yes, it was hard work. No, they didn't even think to skip their shifts. They did it a) because they couldn't get tickets and B) because they wanted to "give something back"

Not only did you use it as a way to get a ticket, you ended up making the others do YOUR work.

Not one iota of sympathy from me :angry:

Oh I don't think anybody here has been affected by little old me not turning up to my shifts to presumably pick up the litter that some of you dropped?? Yes I should of saw it as 'giving back' and not a way into the festival but I paid £180 to go like everybody else...got into the festival, did 6 hours of litter picking and had a bloody good time!!

Spent my weekend mornings at stone circle...met some amazing people and thoroughly enjoyed my 1st glastonbury experience.

That is all I have to say!

I got the job by e-mailing fiona at GFL (contact details on website) she e-mailed a form which I completed and sent back with my £180 deposit- if the cheque clears you're in basically. On the form you could express preferences for what shifts you want and they basically cover the following areas

1) early shifts 6am to noon

2) afternoon shifts 1pm-7pm (though you do an early on the Monday)

3) recycling centre- 5 hr shifts alternating am/pm

4) tractor crew(emptying bins, picking up the bags litter pickers have filled)- 6 hr shifts alternating am/pm

5) traders information- 6 hr shifts alternating am/pm

Oh I don't think anybody here has been affected by little old me not turning up to my shifts to presumably pick up the litter that some of you dropped?? Yes I should of saw it as 'giving back' and not a way into the festival but I paid £180 to go like everybody else...got into the festival, did 6 hours of litter picking and had a bloody good time!!

Spent my weekend mornings at stone circle...met some amazing people and thoroughly enjoyed my 1st glastonbury experience.

That is all I have to say!

While you may not be blacklisted from the festival itself, you will almost certainly be banned for life from entering the stone circle, and if you try to go there you could face being thrown in the underground pianamo bay to be reconditioned by Jools Holland! I've heard tales from survivors saying he walks round in circles shouting "hootenanny!" at you and playing piano on top of other peoples records for hours.. :ph34r:

Thanks. So you pay your £180 deposit up front and then what happens? If you turn up to each shift you get the £180 back in full at the end?

Do you work every day from Wednesday to Monday?

Do you get to camp with everyone else or do you have to camp in the 'staff' areas?