Camping Fridge

Guest worthyraver

Does anybody take a camping fridge with them, I know pretty much everybody in a campervan will have one, but what about taking one to use in a tent?

As I am taking my family with me next year, including 4 kids under 4 years old, I am looking at things that may make things easier and I do like the idea of a fridge. I could fill it full of bacon and cider how popular would I be???

I was thinking of one of these or similar:

Combicool RF 60

I would obviously have to take a 4kg cylinder in with me which would be masses of gas for the fridge and cooking whilst there, I figure all this will cost me one extra trip from the car.

Anybody ever gone to all this trouble, and is it worth it?

Not too sure that having something like that in a tent is a particularly good idea tho. Apart from potential fire and fumes stylee considerations, the biggest issue would be the generally high ambient temperature inside a tent in the sun and the amount of extra heat it would chuck out anyway I think. All that heat removed to make the inside cool has to go somewhere and all that. Mind you, anyone with a seemingly never ending stock of bacon for sarnies plus ice cold cider/beer to wash them down is defo going to be way more than a bit popular with the neighbours ... where exactly might you be camping ? Just outta morbid curiosity and all that as I kinda feel a change of location coming on :lol:

Edited by mikeb

I don't think fire stewards would be very happy with this. On top what has already been mentioned here, if somebody might accidentally tip the gas bottle over while you are away, potentially you could have a very dangerous situation there and put people at risk.

You just can't always have everything in live...! Buy a camper. ;)

I still had cold beers on sunday. No need for a fridge, you just need a big porch. Here's how - you lay down 2 slabs of beer and lay 4 bags of supermarket ice and a few freezer blocks on top (we brought the ice in a gaffered-up coolbox). Then you cover the lot with a couple of bin bags and then chuck all your jumpers, coats, spare clothes, tent bags, blankets etc on top. The ice takes about 2 days to melt and as long as you keep all the gubbins on top, the beer will stay cold for another 2 days. Works every time.

;)

This year was the 4th year we've taken down this:

igloo.jpg

And the hottest and longest we've take it for. We parked up in the car-parks around midnight of the Tuesday, having stocked it full of ice (14 x 2Kg bags). We had used about 50% of the ice by Friday, there was some water but not much, these things work v.well when full, not so much when more air gets in as your ice consumption goes up. we still had some ice left over by Sunday, enough to help chill a few ciders and spirit/soft drink mixes down. The remaining water (approx 5ltrs+) was used for rehydrating ourselves and eventually to chill some beers down. We didn't put our drinks in the box, but would decant some ice to smaller chill box and put beers into that instead, it meant the ice lasted longer, especially in that heat. There's 11 of us in our group and this has proved a very successful addition. The only drawback is that the wheels are showing their age now and I've got to put some proper trolley/pneumatic wheels on it if it's to last next year+.

I looked at these gas powered fridges (useless fact, Einstein patented the design for an absorption fridge back in the 20s IIRC) but I think logistically they could be a bit of a nightmare (with gas they weigh as much as a fully loaded ice box above) although I've not totally ruled it out (although the price may well do that and I'm not too sure you're guaranteed to get those large 4kg propane cannisters into the main site).

I did spend some time up in the Greenfields chatting to some Solar power people looking at options there about other options, I still think I could build something could act as a decent fridge though. Didn't see the 'solar powered' Lemonade stall this year, seen it for years, a solar powered unit which chilled homemade lemonade, bloody gorgeous it was too.

Edited by Ponyegg

That is my concern, will I be allowed to bring the 4Kg cylinder on site as without it I would constantly be changing gas cylinders, which not only would be a pain, but also work out expensive.

Some of the smaller fridges "promise" better efficiency of around 200g of gas per day, at this amount it maybe possible run from the smaller gas cannisters. I think some combination of cool box and fridge will work perhaps only turning the fridge on when the cool box is all but given up. Plenty of time to work it all out, in the meantime I have emailed Glastonbury office as to whether 4Kg cylinders are allowed on site, as it would be tricky to sneak one in.

This is something i've thought about and discounted, basically you need too much energy to try to keep things cool for 5 days, especially in a sunny tent, I find the best idea is to take a coolbox filled with frozen stuff and cover it with a space blanket when on site. This stops the sun warming it too much and it will stay cool for quite a few days, our bacon lasted fine til Monday (from Tuesday night) but it was frozen to start with. If you're prepared to take a large coolbox with loads of ice i'm sure that will work better than trying to run a fridge in such conditions.

This year was the 4th year we've taken down this:

igloo.jpg

And the hottest and longest we've take it for. We parked up in the car-parks around midnight of the Tuesday, having stocked it full of ice (14 x 2Kg bags). We had used about 50% of the ice by Friday, there was some water but not much, these things work v.well when full, not so much when more air gets in as your ice consumption goes up. we still had some ice left over by Sunday, enough to help chill a few ciders and spirit/soft drink mixes down. The remaining water (approx 5ltrs+) was used for rehydrating ourselves and eventually to chill some beers down. We didn't put our drinks in the box, but would decant some ice to smaller chill box and put beers into that instead, it meant the ice lasted longer, especially in that heat. There's 11 of us in our group and this has proved a very successful addition. The only drawback is that the wheels are showing their age now and I've got to put some proper trolley/pneumatic wheels on it if it's to last next year+.

I looked at these gas powered fridges (useless fact, Einstein patented the design for an absorption fridge back in the 20s IIRC) but I think logistically they could be a bit of a nightmare (with gas they weigh as much as a fully loaded ice box above) although I've not totally ruled it out (although the price may well do that and I'm not too sure you're guaranteed to get those large 4kg propane cannisters into the main site).

I did spend some time up in the Greenfields chatting to some Solar power people looking at options there about other options, I still think I could build something could act as a decent fridge though. Didn't see the 'solar powered' Lemonade stall this year, seen it for years, a solar powered unit which chilled homemade lemonade, bloody gorgeous it was too.

This is something i've thought about and discounted, basically you need too much energy to try to keep things cool for 5 days, especially in a sunny tent, I find the best idea is to take a coolbox filled with frozen stuff and cover it with a space blanket when on site. This stops the sun warming it too much and it will stay cool for quite a few days, our bacon lasted fine til Monday (from Tuesday night) but it was frozen to start with. If you're prepared to take a large coolbox with loads of ice i'm sure that will work better than trying to run a fridge in such conditions.

No and yes, no because the batteries in those things are too small. Basically the battery would be flat before the solar panel had a chance to keep it charged. You really need big batteries to keep a decent 12v fridge going. That booster thing has a 15ah battery, in my camper I have two 180ah batteries so you can imagine the weight compared to the booster thing. Or if you can't then its 50 kilos. You'd probably get away with a 180ah (25kilos) for the whole festival, but you'll also need a solar regulator as well in case of the panel overcharging the battery with disasterous result. So yes, but only if you do it properly, and only if its very sunny!

I used one of the Coleman Xtreme cool boxes this year for food. I made and froze lots of stuff like chilli / bolognaise etc etc in tubs, and kept "fidge" stuff like cheeze, butter and milk in it too. It was packed on Tuesday morning as we drove down and stayed in a B&B Tue night. The frozen stuff lasted fine, the last of it was de-frosted but still very, very cold by Sunday night, the butter stayed solid and the milk fresh for the duration!

Gotta be a cheaper and safer option than a fridge and worked perfectly well for us :)