USDAW Banners at Leftfield

Guest Ommadawn

My wife arranged to have two USDAW trades union banners displayed at Leftfield. Every time we went in, we couldn't see them although the guy in charge says they were definitely on display - but in different places on different days.

I know it's a long shot, but can anyone remember seeing these banners at all? They were free standing and about six feet high and were apparently displayed at either side of the stage for at least part of the weekend. Also, if anyone has included them in any photos they took whilst in Leftfield, it would be much appreciated if they could forward them to me.

My wife arranged to have two USDAW trades union banners displayed at Leftfield. Every time we went in, we couldn't see them although the guy in charge says they were definitely on display - but in different places on different days.

I know it's a long shot, but can anyone remember seeing these banners at all? They were free standing and about six feet high and were apparently displayed at either side of the stage for at least part of the weekend. Also, if anyone has included them in any photos they took whilst in Leftfield, it would be much appreciated if they could forward them to me.

I didn't see them and was in at various times over the weekend.

As an USDAW member, I'd be quite concerned if the organisers didn't display them. Given that USDAW has the image described by Phil above (and to be honest it deserves to), I'd like to think encouraging more Glasto types to join it would be a way to try and change the union.

If I'm going to be cynical, it may be the case that they weren't put up simply because of the nature of USDAW, because of its image, or because it is a big backer of Labour.

I got the impression that Leftfield was more a collection of specific groups of the left, rather than a whole left collective. :(

Eerrm, have you ever been to Glastonbury?

It's not just a music festival, there's political and environmental aspects to it too. What I learned this year about things like Burma, the fight against the EDL/BNP,etc was invaluable, moreso than seeing some band or other (as much as I loved the music too).

Maybe do your research a bit better next time?

It is, it just stands up against intolerance.

The political side of it is part of what sets it apart from other festivals imo. You don't have to agree with everything they say to appreciate that at least they're trying to do something more enriching than simply putting on a few bands here and there. Better than remaining ignorant to the outside world.

Besides which, what really is 'normal' about Glasto in the first place? :lol:

True ;)

Listen, I totally support their right to campaign for what they want. I don't agree with much of it, but that's just my informed opinion. - I went along to a few debates in the tent this year, listened to what was said, and decided that I didn't agree with much of it.

It's always nice to hear an alternative view though.

That's fair enough then, at least you made the effort to go and see for yourself before forming an opinion on it- something which not everyone seems to do.

That's true, alternative views are good and all that, I think it just comes down to how alternative you can be politically at Glasto, as it is historically a fairly left inclined festival (to my knowledge anyway). It would be good to have more variety in speakers, sure, but obviously with things like the BNP debate it's not really of the ethos of the festival to invite someone with extremist views into a place that's supposed to promote peace.

Infact, I'd go as far as saying that if they did get speakers from other political viewpoints it might make that aspect more popular, as it seemed to in the recent prime-ministerial debates in the run up to the election.

So Leftfield used to have an area for stalls and such? I reckon that'd be a better idea tbh. I think there should be an other area apart from just what's on stage, an area to talk one to one with different left leaning organisations and party's.

What annoys me is people waving Soviet Union flags around like they were something to aspire to. Nobody seems to challenge them. I've seen USSR flags waving around at Tony Benn speeches and Billy Bragg gigs.

But the USSR was a brutal dictatorship, I see some hypocrisy here.

What annoys me is people waving Soviet Union flags around like they were something to aspire to. Nobody seems to challenge them. I've seen USSR flags waving around at Tony Benn speeches and Billy Bragg gigs.

But the USSR was a brutal dictatorship, I see some hypocrisy here.