you CAN break The Chain

Guest eFestivals

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More music snobbery.. i watched her. They aren't the bes act in the world but it wasn't terrible, in fact they were rather good.

Whatever they might have been for the rest of the set, the word 'dreadful' is the correct to use for the attempt at 'The Chain'.

It's not music snobbery to expect a singer to be able to hit and hold a note. Flo couldn't for any of the part of the set that I saw or heard.

Edited by eFestivals

Got dragged along kicking and screaming to Florence "kate bush is kate bush" & the machine tother day too, she was awful and pretty full of herself she does a shit cover of " you got the love", the cover the xx do of her cover of candi staton anthem is really pretty good but she managed to turn up at their show and f**k that up as well! she should be demoted back to that tea tent she kept going on about!

she was awful. the worst act i seen all weekend.

i liked her until i seen her live.

she just seemed like a total fanny, the way she pranced around and got the crowd to do her stupid dancing.

and the fact she had a BACKING TRACK!!! on some songs, she only seemed to sing the occasional line with the backing track doing the rest.

she was shite. REALLY shite.

and she needs to stop lying about her age. is she f**k 23! add about 15 years onto that.

seriously - whats the point to this thread?

Why come back, after seeing all the bands you must of seen, to tell us about the one you truely hated. I just dont see what it adds to the discussion, or brings to the table.

Neil, I feel you have been polluted by some of the dross the users of this forum seem to post, and are in danger of becoming one of them.

Whatever they might have been for the rest of the set, the word 'dreadful' is the correct to use for the attempt at 'The Chain'.

It's not music snobbery to expect a singer to be able to hit and hold a note. Flo couldn't for any of the part of the set that I saw or heard.

seriously - whats the point to this thread?

Why come back, after seeing all the bands you must of seen, to tell us about the one you truely hated. I just dont see what it adds to the discussion, or brings to the table.

Neil, I feel you have been polluted by some of the dross the users of this forum seem to post, and are in danger of becoming one of them.

I, like many others, have posted about what I enjoyed. This thread is an opposite, of something that I very much didn't. What exactly is wrong with that?

It's not like I've gone out on a limb and posted something controversially against the grain, that it's something which was good really - many posts here bear that out. Others say they enjoyed it, and they're perfectly welcome to have enjoyed it - I've not been slagging anyone off for enjoying it.

The point? If you're in a band and want to do a cover, at least pick one that's somewhere within your musical capabilities.

Flo' was responsible for one of my best moments of 2010, I was in front of the sound desk waiting for Muse to come on and struck up a conversation with a couple of dodgy lads...

Me: "What has been the best act you have seen so far?"

Him: "err, Florence and the Mechanics"

Genius!

Having watched Vampire Weekend (one of my favourite current bands) I caught the second half of Florence and the Machine. I stood on the path by the Poverty Bus so couldn't hear her that clearly. I had really enjoyed Lungs, but, since this performance and her seeming to turn up everywhere on the BBC coverage, I've gone off her. Too much over exposure for me.

A good point well made, "Other" seemed rammed for Kate Nash when I was passing through. I heard her do some rant about a lack of female composers/artists then launch into some hideous screeching "song". Horses for courses and all that, but at the moment it seems that to be a successful female artist you need to be a bit more quirky than talented. Which is a shame really as I actually think Flo is OK, but the likes of Radio 1 etc just seem to focus on here being kooky (whatever that means) and talk about here look/clothes etc.

Back on topic though, The Chain was probably the worst cover version I heard all week.

I don't quite get the Florence bashing that goes on on this forum. I know she's been massively overhyped and maybe she believes a bit too much of it but basically she seems like a fairly modest person who is just out there enjoying herself. She also tries to get a crowd going unlike some of the new bands who seem to think they don't need to once they've had a successful album. OK so she sang out of tune a bit but she's hardly the first to have done that at Glastonbury so I can't see why there's a whole thread devoted to it.

"You CAN break The Chain", indeed. And to think I got slagged off when I said it was "Time To Avoid MGMT" :P

Anyone catch Florence & The Machine covering Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain"?

I had to stick my fingers in my ears, I don't think I've ever heard such awful out-of-tune squawking. It was dreadful.

I had to laugh later tho, when I over-heard someone going on about "the great new track that Florence played, called 'The Chain' or something".... closely followed by her friend who said "no, that was the Grand Prix theme. I wonder why she was playing that?".

The empress really does have no clothes. You might not agree now, but just give it a few years.