Football 2010-2011

Guest eFestivals

I think from the past month the mood at anfield would have been lifted with Torres and Gerrard committing future, Cole coming in, Rafa getting to f*ck etc and I think they will be genuine challengers for the title along with City (depending on how mancini handles the squad).

Suppose the big question mark hangs over the takeover. If it doesnt go ahead within next week or so will Torres change his mind? He needs back up and not N'gog back up

to my mind, Liverpool's main weakness over the last few seasons (and which got steadily worse) wasn't so much the first choice 11 - on paper at least it looks a match for the other top teams - but that their back-up options were much worse.

Going by last night, they look like they're going to be stronger with those this season - but in some cases due to the same players playing better (see my Lucas comment above) rather than necessarily from a change in personnel.

But they do defo need a better back-up striker. Ngog doesn't look to me like he's ever going to make the grade.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• The Nal

• TheGayTent

• ampersand

Sulejmani on loan is a possibility.

Still think Behrami and Diamanti are the most likely to leave. Along with Upson and Parker providing the money is right, and in SP's case, he hands in a transfer request.

Gabbidon will no doubt be loaned out or given a free to get him off the wage bill now we have cover.

I think from the past month the mood at anfield would have been lifted with Torres and Gerrard committing future, Cole coming in, Rafa getting to f*ck etc and I think they will be genuine challengers for the title along with City (depending on how mancini handles the squad).

Suppose the big question mark hangs over the takeover. If it doesnt go ahead within next week or so will Torres change his mind? He needs back up and not N'gog back up

WHilst I do expect Liverpool to do better this season, I just can't see why people think they are going to challenge for the title this season. In terms of strengthening the squad, all they've done is replace Benayoun with Cole. Any success for them this season would rely on Gerrard and Torres being fit for the whole season, but can you really see that happening?

WHilst I do expect Liverpool to do better this season, I just can't see why people think they are going to challenge for the title this season. In terms of strengthening the squad, all they've done is replace Benayoun with Cole. Any success for them this season would rely on Gerrard and Torres being fit for the whole season, but can you really see that happening?

You've missed the new winger they have (Jorowski is it? Something like that), who looked a more than decent player last night.

What they might also have tho is the same players playing better. Using Lucas as an example, he's looked a right turkey in nearly all games, but there's been just a few times he's played in a more forward role and suddenly you can see why Rafa stuck with him despite all the criticism he's had. If Woy can get more out of Lucas than Rafa did, that makes him as good as a new player.

There's other players too who have tended to be played out of position - Kuyt for example. Again, if he's used in a different way, he might suddenly increase his goal tally (tho I've less hopes of this improvement than I have for Lucas).

Talking thru the squad with my missus last night, it dawned on me just how strong they are (aside from a couple of positions) with their first 11 or so on paper - they have an awful lot of internationals from the countries that are generally regarded as the better ones. I think it's more a problem of getting them to play well together than the players not being up to it. Maybe Woy can do that - time will tell.

There's other players too who have tended to be played out of position - Kuyt for example. Again, if he's used in a different way, he might suddenly increase his goal tally (tho I've less hopes of this improvement than I have for Lucas).

I quite agree. Liverpool have no chance (IMO) of finishing any higher than 4th - and that is far from being a certainty.

While I suspect you're probably right, I reckon things are even more open with all the teams at the top this season than they were last season.

Taking Villa out of the equation (cos I reckon they'll have a worse season), all of the other 6 of last season's top 7 could finish in just about any of those 6 positions. I don't think there's any of those teams that could be said at this moment in time to be definitely heading for the top slots - tho things will be more defined after the first games.

While I suspect you're probably right, I reckon things are even more open with all the teams at the top this season than they were last season.

Taking Villa out of the equation (cos I reckon they'll have a worse season), all of the other 6 of last season's top 7 could finish in just about any of those 6 positions. I don't think there's any of those teams that could be said at this moment in time to be definitely heading for the top slots - tho things will be more defined after the first games.

tugger, neil thinks spurs could win the league :P

With no blinkered vision on that of course. :lol::lol:

I'd say they're probably the most likely of those teams to come 6th myself, as things stand right now. But it's probably the case that 'Arry will bring in a few players yet (I don't think he's sign anyone yet - 'Arry not signing anyone :blink::lol:), so that view isn't necessarily fixed.

You've missed the new winger they have (Jorowski is it? Something like that), who looked a more than decent player last night.

What they might also have tho is the same players playing better. Using Lucas as an example, he's looked a right turkey in nearly all games, but there's been just a few times he's played in a more forward role and suddenly you can see why Rafa stuck with him despite all the criticism he's had. If Woy can get more out of Lucas than Rafa did, that makes him as good as a new player.

Talking thru the squad with my missus last night, it dawned on me just how strong they are (aside from a couple of positions) with their first 11 or so on paper - they have an awful lot of internationals from the countries that are generally regarded as the better ones. I think it's more a problem of getting them to play well together than the players not being up to it. Maybe Woy can do that - time will tell.

Man Utd, Chelsea, and Arsenal, are all head and shoulders above the Mickeys (well Arsenal maybe only the shoulders). Citeh are an unknown quantity and may well give them a run for their money too. Can't see Tottenham doing as well as last year.

Agree with you re Villa - mid table mediocrity and O'Neill gone by end of season.

I agree for those three teams for last season - but all three don't really looked to have strengthened again this summer. With City that unknown quantity, and Liverpool not likely to be as poor as last year (and bearing in mind they ran Utd close the season before), I'm not sure there's necessarily the gap you're seeing.

Agree with you about Spurs - but still dependant on who Arry might bring in.

I agree for those three teams for last season - but all three don't really looked to have strengthened again this summer. With City that unknown quantity, and Liverpool not likely to be as poor as last year (and bearing in mind they ran Utd close the season before), I'm not sure there's necessarily the gap you're seeing.

Agree with you about Spurs - but still dependant on who Arry might bring in.