Adverts over the forum text?

Guest abu hamster

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An amended skin has just been uploaded and applied, which should stop some of these issues for some users.

Other issues are still being looked into, but due to a funeral and related issues to that, there's limited time for issues such as this for the next day or two.

We believe we've found a decent solution for these issues for anyone using a browser newer than IE6, and hopefully it'll be sorted in 24 hours at max.

I'll post back here when it's in place.

Uh oh! Prepare to be threatened with a ban!

Are you determined to prove me very right with those words of mine you've quoted at the top of the page? :rolleyes:

Let it go, before your prophecy comes true. You've had your say; I've listened to you, and I've responded to you. I am taking what is said by people on-board, and where appropriate/doable it will get sorted or has been already. Bitching because I haven't gone with what you've said from the simple fact that I can't afford not to is not going to get you anywhere.

You've made clear that the ads are a problem (despite not seeing them), and I've offered you the ad-free solution, but you prefer to take whatever you can without regard for others. And you're still here.

Are you determined to prove me very right with those words of mine you've quoted at the top of the page? :rolleyes:

Let it go, before your prophecy comes true. You've had your say; I've listened to you, and I've responded to you. I am taking what is said by people on-board, and where appropriate/doable it will get sorted or has been already. Bitching because I haven't gone with what you've said from the simple fact that I can't afford not to is not going to get you anywhere.

You've made clear that the ads are a problem (despite not seeing them), and I've offered you the ad-free solution, but you prefer to take whatever you can without regard for others. And you're still here.

The most annoying thing is Neil's scrolling infomercial pink box on the right hand side. Is there a need for that at all? Let alone one that scrolls continuously?

That's a temporary thing.

Just as soon as I've time, that's going and being replaced with something less annoying.

I'm sure you can live with it for a few days. :)

I run Safari on a pretty new MacBook and I've found problems since the update with ads overlapping the screen and suchlike. It is definitely slower than before (especially any links to photos/youtube etc.) and I don't think the forum format has the clarity of the previous format. I realise this could be just a familiarity thing, but I don't think it reads as easily as it did before. I've used a few forums and don't recall taking this long to adjust to a format before. It's actually discouraging me to come here.

Before this is taken out of context - I'm merely trying to give an honest, frank opinion as a user in the hope it helps the provider, not just being a grumpy, whingeing old luddite (although I am old. And grumpy).

is there any way of stopping the pop-up ads and replacing them with something else attatched to the forums? or are these the ones that bring in the big £'s. They make me feel like im on some seedy website!

EDIT: I know they only happen once per session, but still!

Edited by biigsybmx

Please don't assume that everyone who uses this site knows less about clever web stuff that you do... And please don't assume that you are always right. It's now midnight and the ads are still making the site run much more slowly than it was with the 'old' site. Everything else I'm browsing's working fine, funnily enough.

Just sayin'... but of course, you WILL know better...

Ahhhhhhhh, that's better! No ads over text for me now!! yeah!! :D Now completely happy with the upgrade!! :D

I'm pleased the problem is sorted for some. :)

There are other issues that are being given a very high priority, but due to short-staffing today and tomorrow due to a funeral, there's not the resources available to dedicate to these that I'd like. However, please be aware that things are being addressed as quickly as we're able to.

Just a thought ... but one of the things that makes the actual 'post' column of the forum display significantly narrower than it perhaps needs to be seems to be that the first column (where the poster's avatar and other mostly irrelevant info goes) is now quite a bit wider than it used to be. To the untrained eye/mind, there doesn't appear to be any particularly good reason why it actually needs to be 25/30%(ish) wider than before so perhaps it could be possible to reduce it to the bare minimum width necessary without too much agro ? I think that might make the page look somewhat better and it would obviously provide valuable additional space for the more important 'post' info :unsure:

The image below isn't 100% reality unfortunately as I had to cobble something together manually because I couldn't find a cached page that was entirely in the old style/layout but it kinda shows the approximate layout proportions anyway and is sort-of what you get on a 1024x768 screen resolution:

efests%20forum%20page.jpg

One other thing I've noticed is that "remember me" appears to be ticked by default on the login page. I seem to remember this was the case after previous upgrades as well but was subsequently changed as it's not really a good default scenario for user security i.e. forgetting to untick the box when logging in is bad news if a user happens to be on a non-secure/public PC.

It might perhaps also explain why I seem to be getting stacks of 'new post' notifications by email for a login that hasn't actually been used in anger for many months - a login that hasn't received any email notifications whatsoever since it was last used several months ago ... until immediately after the recent upgrade took place ! Really must remember to try clearing out all eFests cookies to see if that sorts it :)

Edited by mikeb