Adverts over the forum text?

Guest abu hamster

Well, I said this in the other thread but I think it needs saying again !

Problems ? What problems ? I have a *very* temperamental, very old and very cranky PC that regularly screws up and/or generally objects to all kinda bloatware Ads and esp flash stuff all over the place even on a good day ... but I have experienced no significant issues at all since the upgrade ! If anything, things are better/faster now than they were before :) However, unlike for many other more commercial sites, I DON'T block Ads, pop-ups, scripts or anything else in general on eFests. Sometimes I have absolutely no choice but to resort to blocking the occasional well dodgy and particularly badly written flash item but that's all and it's only ever temporary until the Ad disappears off the rotation.

I would very much suggest that it's by no means coincidental that attempting to block stuff various leads to problems. In the same way that malware writing c**ts work hard to bypass any virus protection, you can almost bet your life on Ad Houses various trying doing to do much the same and website owners somehow trying to protect/recoup their investment. Anyone complaining really isn't living in the real world are they :unsure: cos it's a bit like complaining that security guards nab customers helping themselves from their local shop otherwise. There just has to be a realistic limit on how much can be provided for free off the backs of those who choose to pay in some way. If everyone blocked Ads etc. then the ultimate scenario is no revenue meaning no eFests. Pretty much simple as that really I think and ditto for many other similar good sites.

There's no such thing as a free lunch in real life - someone somewhere always has to pay for absolutely everything consumed even if some peeps regularly try their very hardest to avoid doing so I'm afraid.

Edited by mikeb

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok mate. Ban me if that makes you happy. What if I hadn't mentioned NoScript? I don't really have time to sit here and argue with you. I think I made a valid point and you "threaten" to ban me. Ludicrous. Do you loosen up at all Glastonbury or do you go on power trips in some other way?

I've contributed to this forum over the years. Shared thoughts/opinions/pictures/whatever. That's me giving something back. Freeloading when viewing a free forum makes no sense to me.

This makes me laugh

You are having a pop at the people who have bothered to register on your site and are contributing, thus raising the sites profile and generating you revenue and getting advertisers interested

wrong wrong wrong wrong. :rolleyes:

People who use ad-blockers are of no benefit to this site.

As stated before, if the site is running slowly and people are blocking the ads due to them causing it to run slowly I would suggest the onus is on you to fix this issue not run around threatening to ban people

If people won't help pay for the resource there cannot be the resource.

Yes, it is that simple.

Ok mate. Ban me if that makes you happy. What if I hadn't mentioned NoScript? I don't really have time to sit here and argue with you. I think I made a valid point and you "threaten" to ban me. Ludicrous. Do you loosen up at all Glastonbury or do you go on power trips in some other way?

I've contributed to this forum over the years. Shared thoughts/opinions/pictures/whatever. That's me giving something back. Freeloading when viewing a free forum makes no sense to me.

You made the point that you think you should get use of this resource without contributing to the running costs. That makes you a freeloader. If you don't think it does, that's a problem with your own attitudes.

I didn't threaten to ban you. I simply made your own point back at you - a point you cannot rationally address, and via that I'm showing you that your own point is not rational, at least it's not outside of a "I should have whatever I want without regard of others" basis.

Your posting contributions contribute nothing to the running costs of this forum.

If you're on the level with your comments and don't really expect something for nothing, then you could sign up to have these forums free for £18 a year.

So are you a freeloader, or aren't you?

Can I just ask? I take it you are the owner/originator of this site?

Taking away people using blockers, which I hasten to add, I am NOT using at this time

You are seriously saying that people posting whether they use blockers or not are not of use to the site?

So the posts don't raise your profile with search engines?

I do agree with you that people shouldn't block, I don't as I understand how it all works

In my experience though people who have successful forums when they recieve complaints and say its the ads causing it, I may have to block the ads, usually get offered some resolution rather than someone on a power trip threatening a ban

Yes.

Yes.

Nope.

There is an option to have these forums ad-free.

/index.php?app=subscriptions">http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/index.php?app=subscriptions

You made the point that you think you should get use of this resource without contributing to the running costs. That makes you a freeloader. If you don't think it does, that's a problem with your own attitudes.

I didn't threaten to ban you. I simply made your own point back at you - a point you cannot rationally address, and via that I'm showing you that your own point is not rational, at least it's not outside of a "I should have whatever I want without regard of others" basis.

Your posting contributions contribute nothing to the running costs of this forum.

If you're on the level with your comments and don't really expect something for nothing, then you could sign up to have these forums free for £18 a year.

So are you a freeloader, or aren't you?

Edited by Wiggum

I have had no pop ups today at all just the adverts on the right and I allowed pop ups on this site. It seems to be beter now than it was, if it wasn't just so HUGE it would be better again. But its growing on me.

I will pay once I get back from Glato though.

I've got to say, I find it ironic that you're questioning my attitude. If anything had put me off posting on this forum a bit more than I have, it's probably your attitude. I've already said, if the adverts didn't break everything for me, I'd keep them on. I'm hardly going to pay for something when the free version is already broken. I think you're looking into this too deeply. And you clearly did threaten to ban me. So no, I don't expect something for nothing and I'm not a freeloader. Good sales pitch with

"...you could sign up to have these forums free for £18 a year.

So are you a freeloader, or aren't you?" though.

I'm disappointed a quick check on everyone's glastonbury prerparations has turned into this.

Also, my girlfriend ocassionaly uses this site and her work blocks most advertising sites through their network. Should she be forced to pay because of this?

All of the self-justifying bollox I'd expect from a 'me me me' Thatcher's child. I guess that you're a 'me me me' Thatcher's child. :rolleyes:

You say that the ads "break" these forums (yet they don't). Then you go on to say that you won't pay to have the not-broken ad-free version because the version with ads is broken. That's a massive rationality fail, which just goes to show that it's VERY DEFINITELY your attitude. :rolleyes:

I didn't "threaten to ban you" - I'd have just banned you if that was my intention. I was pointing out your wrong attitude, something which you've since proven is the case. You simply expect it for free. Yet I don't have to go along with your wants any more than you have to go along with mine.

No one is being "forced to pay". Simple politeness from non-freeloaders says very rationally "you accept the ads that pay for your use of this site, or you pay a small fee to cover the lost income from ads".

If you have an issue with that, the issue is one of your attitude of expecting the cost of things to be paid for by others, and nothing else.

All of the self-justifying bollox I'd expect from a 'me me me' Thatcher's child. I guess that you're a 'me me me' Thatcher's child. :rolleyes:

You say that the ads "break" these forums (yet they don't). Then you go on to say that you won't pay to have the not-broken ad-free version because the version with ads is broken. That's a massive rationality fail, which just goes to show that it's VERY DEFINITELY your attitude. :rolleyes:

I didn't "threaten to ban you" - I'd have just banned you if that was my intention. I was pointing out your wrong attitude, something which you've since proven is the case. You simply expect it for free. Yet I don't have to go along with your wants any more than you have to go along with mine.

No one is being "forced to pay". Simple politeness from non-freeloaders says very rationally "you accept the ads that pay for your use of this site, or you pay a small fee to cover the lost income from ads".

If you have an issue with that, the issue is one of your attitude of expecting the cost of things to be paid for by others, and nothing else.

I had no problems at all at home, viewing through my Ipod it was actually a lot easier to read etc! I do like the new version of the site but the ads covering post text is a pain but if that's getting sorted that's ace!

It takes a wee while to get all the bug ironed out of a huge upgrade like this and the fact that the forum was only down for a couple of hours was quite a good achievement really!! :D

Personally I don't have an issue with the ads at all, I don't even notice them after a while but then I am not reknowned for my observational skills :lol:!

The only other problem I have had is when trying to post a link/picture the wee script box doesn't seem to want to work so have resorted to putting in my own IMG tags for now, but again I am sure this is a wee bug that will be ironed out soon enough!

:D

Most people block ads because they are causing a problem or are unduly intrusive, it shouldn't be that hard to design a page that people can live with that contains ads, (some ads are funny / entertaing and most people are quite happy to tolerate them). If ad blockers are an issue for the site i would suggest the site needs improving to make it more 'customer' friendly. BTW Neil, I hope you don't go and make a cup of tea when the adverts come on TV, wouldn't want you freeloading :lol:

What if you're in a situation where the blocking of ads is outwith your control?

It's the same answer as you get if you find yourself in a situation where you being blocked from these forums is outwith your control. Why do you think it's different?

But there's another factor too, one that doesn't seem to be any part of your considerations. And that's that these forums are in my control and not yours. ;)

Ok, can you explain? Since we're agreed you're not forcing anyone to pay, what about if the non-paid for version is causing problems (which in my case it is)? I think it's rational for me to expect, since I'm not forced to pay, that the site should work properly without me paying (but with accepting your ads).

Why do you think it doesn't work properly with you accepting the ads? You've not yet said.

What you have said is that it doesn't work how you'd like it to - but that's a different thing entirely, and one that's due to your unrealistic expectations of you expecting the world to work on your terms and not it's own.

Most people block ads because they are causing a problem or are unduly intrusive, it shouldn't be that hard to design a page that people can live with that contains ads, (some ads are funny / entertaing and most people are quite happy to tolerate them). If ad blockers are an issue for the site i would suggest the site needs improving to make it more 'customer' friendly.

This site pays for itself, or this site goes. Yes, it's that simple. How many of you are earning just £600 a month for 70+hours a week, every week? :rolleyes:

While you might like the world to work on the basis you define, it simply can't.

If the ads that some find too much for them are removed from this site, then there cannot be this site.

So this site has a better basis going forwards by the removal of those who expect the unrealistic than it does by the unrealistic removal of the ads.

There is no other answer. Got that?

This site pays for itself, or this site goes. Yes, it's that simple. How many of you are earning just £600 a month for 70+hours a week, every week? :rolleyes:

While you might like the world to work on the basis you define, it simply can't.

If the ads that some find too much for them are removed from this site, then there cannot be this site.

So this site has a better basis going forwards by the removal of those who expect the unrealistic than it does by the unrealistic removal of the ads.

There is no other answer. Got that?

When I load the site with all ads enabled, it takes about 4 times longer to load, than with the ads disabled. When I enable all the adds, it looks like this:

efest.png

I can't read the tracker on the right properly, and it's try to load pop-up ad's. The bain of all internet advertising.

You also obviously don't mind being paid £600/mth given the immense power it brings...

Edit - Ironically enough, firefox just "stopped responding" and I had to kill it. For the first time in weeks.

Edited by Wiggum

For those of us who have bad sight or sit far from their computers (me on both counts) the site is now nearly un-useable when viewing zoomed in (see image)

2418a4k.jpg

This is a huge pain in the ass, and I doubt I'll be using the site after glasto, if nothing can be done - and to be honest it will put me off coming back next year.

To replicate this use Chrome, and then zoom in twice (hold Ctrl and press ++)

Also going to get the blogs working?

Edited by crow

When I load the site with all ads enabled, it takes about 4 times longer to load, than with the ads disabled. When I enable all the adds, it looks like this:

I can't read the tracker on the right properly, and it's try to load pop-up ad's. The bain of all internet advertising.

You also obviously don't mind being paid £600/mth given the immense power it brings...

Edit - Ironically enough, firefox just "stopped responding" and I had to kill it. For the first time in weeks.

1. the site is running very slow today due to the hits the site is getting, and not for other reasons.

2. that 4 times difference (if it really exists) has far more to do with your own net connection than this website.

3. seeing as there's only pop-up set per session, you're either telling porkies or it's trying to call it every time only due to you using a blocker.

4. oh do f**k off you very sad little man.

5. oh dear how sad never mind. It stopped working for me on the BBC site last week. Because I became you, I demanded my licence fee back. :lol: