What makes some music acceptable

Guest Funkyfairy!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No but he then said that some produce the music for the love of it and not for greed.

I do not think it is greedy to want to make a living out of music or art. Lets face it outside of the "folk" traditional story telling songs, music has been produced mainly for fame and fortune. There are not that many altruistc song writers around, and the mass majority of musciians would want to retain control over their work.

No but he then said that some produce the music for the love of it and not for greed.

I do not think it is greedy to want to make a living out of music or art. Lets face it outside of the "folk" traditional story telling songs, music has been produced mainly for fame and fortune. There are not that many altruistc song writers around, and the mass majority of musciians would want to retain control over their work.

Yeah, there's quite a lot of music snobbery around and i'm not a fan of it. A lot of people here don't like Kate Nash's music. I don't think she's the best artist in the world but i quite like some of her stuff.

Some people like to diss things that are popular too. If Kate Nash wasn't popular on a wide scale she'd probably have a small-but-strong cult following on here with nobody bad-mouthing her. Meh. Who cares? Just listen to what you like. I'm not interested in what other people think of acts.

its simple...

if nobody has heard of a band you listen to, its cool and edgy.

however when the band gets big (if they do) they automatically become uncool.

i blame the nme.

i have ALOT of "guilty pleasures" (i hate this term, people like different music its all down to opinion) in music that i could admit.

Sorry but you are wrong, there are great numbers of musicians who release there music for free under Creative Commons licences and a massive netlabel scene that allows and encourages others to do this.

A small selection of such netlabels:

www.acroplane.co.uk

www.miga-label.org

www.pendriverec.com

www.thinner.cc

www.aquietbump.com

www.thecentrifuge.co.uk

Yes that is utter nonsense.... its also not what I said.

I'll put in simple terms you may understand......

Music creation should not be driven by profit.

Christ, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Sorry but you are wrong, there are great numbers of musicians who release there music for free under Creative Commons licences and a massive netlabel scene that allows and encourages others to do this.

A small selection of such netlabels:

www.acroplane.co.uk

www.miga-label.org

www.pendriverec.com

www.thinner.cc

www.aquietbump.com

www.thecentrifuge.co.uk

To a point music creation - if it is your job - is going to driven by profit. I'm a designer - and create things. I'm certainly not doing it for free - and my manager (or lets say record label) will be making money out of me. I don't really see the problem. Band at their conception will be making music for the love of it - and then if in the future, get on telly, get on radio, sell a shed load of albums - a stadium tour, a range of dolls - will be making a profit. Is this so wrong?

Now, there are many many small bands on the evening pub circuit who are doing it for the love of it - but there is a good chance that if Mr Record label is there, offers them a deal, they give up their day jobs - then they have to be driven by some kind of profit to make the band work and thus survive.

I think you've got to respect the artistic processes that go into any good song.

Sorry for adding another food analogy to the thread but a burger from McDonalds tastes good no matter how much rainforest was destroyed to produce it. I suppose on the larger scale of things, the rainforest destruction wasn't the fault of the guy who actually made the burger........i'm lost in my own analogy. HELP!

To further confuse your analogy, I brought up Big Macs because I really don't like them -- but some people do. Furthermore when I'm enjoying a steak, I'm not stroking my chin, nodding seriously and contemplating the serious intellectual worth of the steak. I'm licking my lips and just enjoying it.