announcement tomorrow

Guest eFestivals

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I've heard people say this before, the meaning has been "gone on to bigger things".

Best bill on the day, that's what I'd prefer.

I can't name a regional band that has "gone on to bigger things" on the back of a slot. Sure, it looks good in a press pack but with the way the music industry has changed in the last 10 years, "bigger things" don't exist anymore unless you're talking about Elbow, Kasabian cd/ticket sales. Draw a line below that size of act and you'll find very many day jobs.

Bands grow. Elbow had 3 albums of varying critical/sales success before they went supernova with TSSK.

It is only logical that the regional band policy of SSW follows the wider music business pick 'em up/spit 'em out model with regards to only letting bands that have never played play. This is just business after all.

Oh and the other elephant in the room. No Peter Wyeth. Ah well.

Edited by andyblack

there will hopefully be some peter wyeth. i hadnt thought about it in terms of the pick em up, spit them out concept, that could in theory be applied here i guess, but its maybe not quite the same i think? although i dont think the festival follows the wiser music business model. it just puts on what it really likes i think, certainly of this years bands, whilst some of them have done a lot promotionally (charlie jones, these furrows), david gibb hasnt done a lot whatosever.

mind you black carrot are hardly part of that eat em up, spit them out ethic.

and im certain their ssw slots helped the dandilions play glastonbury, and i know for a fact it helped minnaars play reading / leeds.

Well one of them has split up and the other is on the verge of splitting if you believe the rumour mill.

I'm not complaing about the bill. Black Carrott, as you know, played BS 3 years ago on the OT stage and blew the roof off. It's just your suggestion that a band should't be allowed to play twice.

These are regional bands and some many would argue they have further to grow than the likes of Magic Numbers who have also played the festival more than once.

but ed, you're missing the point. they didnt get in just because they were a reformatted band. they got in because their demos were better than anyone elses? so you could reformat the dandilions, and they could resubmit, but if it wasnt any good, then they wouldnt be considered?

No, the point missed is my point. The one appearance rule is flawed.

I'm not arguing against how good The Displacement/Little Night Terrors or The Screening/Little Fat Hoover are. If anything I'm arguing for them. They both have seen the need to grow/adapt and included in that was a name and a personel change whilst keeping the key songwriters.

phil : much as they're an arrogant pair of monkeys, and at times they've done more to hinder the leicester music scene then promote it, you can't knock kasabian musically, some of their singles have been little short of amazing. their fans however, are a different kettle of fish entirely.