Dr Martens

Guest Funkyfairy!

If you want to keep your martens on when it is particularly wet or muddy go search on-line for

goretex bootliner socks

They are like lose fitting sock in goretex fabric that you wear over the top of your normal socks and they keep your feet nice and dry and they are breathable too.

I have had a couple of pairs over the last 10 years or so and they are brilliant

You can even get a pair that come higher up your legs if you wear high tops boots

Someone I know did a relatively wet festival wearing a pair of converse canvase boots with a pair of these borrowed from me underneath adn had totally dry feet all weekend

i think they are a tenner

• 12 years later...
On 3/20/2010 at 4:39 AM, Funkyfairy! said:

Last year I wore walking boots for most of the weekend, with wellies for the one or so muddy days

Today I bought my first ever pair of Dr Martens... are they waterproof, or what is the best way to waterproof them?

Here are my new DM's .... I adore them (lilac ones)

http://www.drmartens.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=13512530

I just got a pair of Doc Marten 1460s I'm wondering if it's cool to take them out into the rain? I won't be jumping in huge puddles or anything, but I live in a really rainy area and it's my first pair of nice leather boots. Do I need to treat the with something?

You’ve got to strategic about footwear at Festivals.

Wellys for when the mud is liquid… lace up boots that won’t pull off your feet when the mud gets tacky.

I think if you proof the leather your DM’s they’d probably be ok for the latter

14 minutes ago, Big durbs said:

And don’t forget to “break “ them in !

mrs D is currently walking around the house in her new DM’s ready for June on the farm 

This they need lots of breaking in!! 
i would also recommend buying a pair of Goretx socks as even though you waterproof the leather the water will get in between the lace holes! 
Breaking them in is the priority though wear them in everyday to June!  

I’ve worn my DMs down the farm, and every other festival, I go to for years., if it’s wet and muddy. Never had wet feet. I put in a comfy pair of inner soles and I find these boots much more comfortable to stand in for long periods of time than any trainer.

number 1  - always break them in ( for months not weeks) . I use neatsfoot oil and smother them in it. Helps soften the leather.

enjoy the many years of comfort ahead of you. But just like guitars you will never stop at just one pair. Trust me.

18 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

I’ve worn my DMs down the farm, and every other festival, I go to for years., if it’s wet and muddy. Never had wet feet. I put in a comfy pair of inner soles and I find these boots much more comfortable to stand in for long periods of time than any trainer.

number 1  - always break them in ( for months not weeks) . I use neatsfoot oil and smother them in it. Helps soften the leather.

enjoy the many years of comfort ahead of you. But just like guitars you will never stop at just one pair. Trust me.

Mite be because I dont tie mine up very tightly!! 
And I agree like you say one pair is definitely not enough especially with all the different designs now!! 👍 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, neckborris said:
I just got a pair of Doc Marten 1460s I'm wondering if it's cool to take them out into the rain? I won't be jumping in huge puddles or anything, but I live in a really rainy area and it's my first pair of nice leather boots. Do I need to treat the with something?

Wow I posted about my first pair in 2010 🙂 .... now its the only thing I wear. They are ok in rain, but always use dubbing etc on them/waterproofer and dry them out properly if they get really wet