Which would be the best camping field to camp for first time glasto-ers?

Guest KaleidoscopeEyes

Which would be the best camping field to camp for first time glasto-ers?

We're all 17 and there's 2 boys and a little lady. I cant say we'll be very quiet late at night once we roll into our tents, but we will be quiet in the morning. We don't mind too much of a walk back to the camp area.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

Well last year me and my friend were both 17 and we chose the "Dance Field" which is situated next to the Dance Village and pretty much opposite The Other Stage. Its not the liveliest but its certainly not the quietest campsite and was great for my friends first Glastonbury.

If you want to be close to the Pyramid Stage then I would go for Kidney Mead as that was where I camped in 2008 and it was really good! But I think its very unlikely you will take the advice on here. I think once you're onsite you will literally find somewhere (not necessarily the first place you see) and be like "thats the place for us!"

But if you are set on the advice I would opt for Dance Field :P

Well last year me and my friend were both 17 and we chose the "Dance Field" which is situated next to the Dance Village and pretty much opposite The Other Stage. Its not the liveliest but its certainly not the quietest campsite and was great for my friends first Glastonbury.

If you want to be close to the Pyramid Stage then I would go for Kidney Mead as that was where I camped in 2008 and it was really good! But I think its very unlikely you will take the advice on here. I think once you're onsite you will literally find somewhere (not necessarily the first place you see) and be like "thats the place for us!"

But if you are set on the advice I would opt for Dance Field :P

Best advice if you want to be amongst friends and people that know a hell of a lot about the festival and to help show you around is to keep an eye out for the threads for the unofficial Efest campsites.

is the main one (or CT10 for short this year). It is based in the very well located Pennards field which allows for the best bimbling and base for well over half of the area of the festival.

There is likely to be a couple more other camps this year too.

Wherever the camps are, they are all brilliant and loads of people (G virgins, solo flyers, old friends and new) all come together and are able to have a very special time and a massive laugh with some awesome memories and friendships made.

Look forward to meeting you.

Personally I like to set up camp as soon as I walk through the gates. I have no problem with the walking I do once inside, I just cannot be arsed traipsing a load of gear around with me a step further than is absolutely necessary.

But don't you do this as that would mean less space for me.

I have studied the map and I think the Dance Field is the best for us, the only issue is walking from the festival bus station so we'll probs end up camping somewhere closer to the bus station,
Edited by Mahdnyw

We camped in Oxlyers once (next door to the Dance Field). It was like an Ethiopian refugee camp.

I seriously recommend camping on a hillside. You get a lovely view. If it rains, the water flows away from your tent -- towards the people in the bottom of the valley.

Look on GlastoEarth to see how the site is valley shaped.

Edited by ukslim

Don't listen to the above. The flat ground is fine and you can always walk up to the stone circle if you want to enjoy the views for a bit. It rained quite heavy for periods last year and the water issue was pretty much fine. Its what you make of it yourself, not what others make it for you.

Each to their own, and all that -- but last year's rain counts for nothing. There was some light drizzle before and during the festival, and a short (but very heavy) downpour on Sunday night / Monday morning.

See how you like it when it pisses down throughout the festival and in the week leading up to it. You'll probably find the flat ground a lot less fun.

Camp up near the Park area, it's brilliant up there. Away from the rest of the site so it's quite quiet (get a good night's kip) and if you want, you can get up a little early and watch the sun come up from the top of the hill. Brilliant.

What are the kids fields like. I'm going in a group with two 12 year olds and two 16 year olds. I'm not sure the 16 yo will respect the silence that young nippers (or their parents) require thhough, so may have to go elsewhere. I want to sleep in a field that is as quiet as possible, so thought the kids filed would be the best bet.

Is it fair to say the further away from the centre of action, the quieter the field.

Any thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

What are the kids fields like. I'm going in a group with two 12 year olds and two 16 year olds. I'm not sure the 16 yo will respect the silence that young nippers (or their parents) require thhough, so may have to go elsewhere. I want to sleep in a field that is as quiet as possible, so thought the kids filed would be the best bet.

Is it fair to say the further away from the centre of action, the quieter the field.

Any thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

last year was my first festival and we decided to camp near the glade right next to the hare krishna tent, for such flat ground it stayed surprisingly dry all week and had a nice atmosphere. planning on camping there again this year, just wondering how it copes in a true 'wet year'? has anyone had any bad experiances of such field?

cheers