Martha & Rufus

Guest DanDan

The last time Martha showed her face she was on Never Mind the Buzzcocks, and she was VERY knocked up. So I think the chances of her making an appearance are pretty bleak, as she's likely to be doing babyish stuff. And I know what you're thinking, can't the daddy look after the baby? Nope, he's in the band too. So I doubt she'll play, unfortunately.

Rufus...who knows?

News of mother's death passed me by. She was half-famous, right?

The last time Martha showed her face she was on Never Mind the Buzzcocks, and she was VERY knocked up. So I think the chances of her making an appearance are pretty bleak, as she's likely to be doing babyish stuff. And I know what you're thinking, can't the daddy look after the baby? Nope, he's in the band too. So I doubt she'll play, unfortunately.

Rufus...who knows?

News of mother's death passed me by. She was half-famous, right?

Their mother was Kate McGarrigle - one half of the McGarrigle Sisters. They were a country'folk duo who gained a lot of credibility in the 1970s. I think both Elvis Costello and Billy Bragg have recorded some of their stuff.

Very sad - Martha performed with he only a little while back in London

I am a great admirer of Martha's work. Really enjoyed her Guardian Lounge set a couple of years back. Would love to see her at G again but don't think it will happen this year

• 1 month later...

At Latitude in 2007 (I think) we were serving behind the Guest Bar. It was very quiet and none of us had anything to do. Martha came in and ordered a drink from my mate, and neither of us knew who she was. My mate had this excrutiating conversation with her, whereby he was asking her about what she was up to at the festival, and she was just giving modest answers and avoiding saying that she was one of the main artists.

When it finally dawned on him who she was, my mate felt like a right prat but she was really nice and stayed chatting with us and being a genuinely lovely person to have around. Although I've never had a proper introduction to her music, I think she's a top person and the total antithesis of the stereotypical self-obsessed, whiny 'artiste.'

So... Rufus is a 'Rumour'... is that based on this thread or anything more rumour-like. Not that I'd disparage this thread or anything. It's pretty damn fine as these things go.

He was on J. Ross yesterday morning and there was talk of summer gigs. At one point he asked someone (his manager?) if he could 'tell people yet' about some date. He then went on to talk about some show at a house (a big one, I'm guessing...) so inconclusive.

So... Rufus is a 'Rumour'... is that based on this thread or anything more rumour-like. Not that I'd disparage this thread or anything. It's pretty damn fine as these things go.

He was on J. Ross yesterday morning and there was talk of summer gigs. At one point he asked someone (his manager?) if he could 'tell people yet' about some date. He then went on to talk about some show at a house (a big one, I'm guessing...) so inconclusive.