Pearl Jam?

Guest jackthebassist

Calm down people! Some people love them and some people don't. Still it's laugh, isn't it.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because these people are idiots for missing out on a whole day of THE glastonbury experience. And I think that they are wasting their money if they decide to go to a Pearl Jam gig instead of a day at glasto. I'm merely pointing out their mistake. I criticised the persons maturity because he didn't know me from adam and started making a childish "Your mum" comment which is what a child would do. I don't see why you get all worked up about it. This is a PUBLIC forum after all. Other people *shock horror* may have different opinions about a band and have every right to post their opinions about that band PUBLICALLY. So what if I think Pearl Jam are overated! Just don't reply if you don't like it! I don't Highjack threads, I merely post my opinion on them.

OK how about this one then :P

Grunge was great! I'm 28 and I'm going back through a grunge phase again.

Nevermind

In Utero

Ten

Vs

Vitalogy

Dirt

SuperUnknown

Down on the upside

melancholy and infinite sadness

I don't see how you can say a band's bad because peole pretend to like them anyway. I for one thought Pearl Jam where one of the few bands people didn't pretend to like but I'm only exposed to certain people. I know a lot of hypocrites and dicks that pretend to like bands such as the smiths or nirvana just to look cool, doesn't mean I can't still see why these bands are popular. Granted people don't like Pearl Jam, some say they're boring, I for one think they've written some belters and think they've forged a rather credible career, some would disagree.

Not even sure what my point is but i don't like people insisting their opinion is fact and accusing fans of not being fans (if anyone wants to say i'm being contradictive mentioning those people who like the smiths/nirvana, these people have actually admitted to me that they don't like them as much as they claim haha)

I came online and saw this thread had 5 pages which led me to think they'd been sneakily announced or something and everyone was going crazy, turns out they havn't :P

Spose Eavis is concerned about another Roskilde, even though it's very unlikely to happen it's his prerogative.

Because these people are idiots for missing out on a whole day of THE glastonbury experience. And I think that they are wasting their money if they decide to go to a Pearl Jam gig instead of a day at glasto. I'm merely pointing out their mistake. I criticised the persons maturity because he didn't know me from adam and started making a childish "Your mum" comment which is what a child would do. I don't see why you get all worked up about it. This is a PUBLIC forum after all. Other people *shock horror* may have different opinions about a band and have every right to post their opinions about that band PUBLICALLY. So what if I think Pearl Jam are overated! Just don't reply if you don't like it! I don't Highjack threads, I merely post my opinion on them.

And this is the whole point of internet forums, so that people can post their opinions, there are countries where we'd not be able to do this...

Yes, I am a fan of The Fall, and would love to see them at Glastonbury, have they ever played? John Peel tent headliners would be about right for them!

The thought of missing a day and a half of Glastonbury does suck, but I've had the full 5 day experience several times before, and the chance to investigate two more cities I've never been to seems like a good one!

And this is the whole point of internet forums, so that people can post their opinions, there are countries where we'd not be able to do this...

Yes, I am a fan of The Fall, and would love to see them at Glastonbury, have they ever played? John Peel tent headliners would be about right for them!

The thought of missing a day and a half of Glastonbury does suck, but I've had the full 5 day experience several times before, and the chance to investigate two more cities I've never been to seems like a good one!

Saw Pearl Jam for the first time in August. Awesome. Doesn't look like they will play Glasto now... bummer :P

Some of the anti comments here amuse me. Yes it is all down to personal taste people. I don't like big bands because they are ''cool'' - I like them as I enjoy it. Simple as.

really can't agree with you there tony. You are effectively saying there is no such thing as good art or bad art. Something that artists , art academics and art citics would fundamentally disagree with.
Edited by fowls

I completely understand that quite a few people don't like Pearl Jam, after all we all have different tastes however I do think they are a great band, but mostly not for the music they have produced. They estentially buggered up their own careers by taking on Ticketmaster in a bid to ensure fair ticket prices for their fans. By doing this they were forced to play small venues in random small towns because these were the only places in America that didn't have deals with Ticketmaster. This was right after Kurt Cobain died when Pearl Jam were pretty much at their peak in terms of fame and essentially pulling out of large scale tours in big venues almost guaranteed they would fall out of the spotlight, I think thats a pretty damn brave move. They have also refused to make videos for a long long time and rarely give press interviews. In my opinion over the last 15 years its been extremely rare for a band the size of Pearl Jam to stand up and be counted on the music alone and not chase fame and fourtune. I also think that there are very very few 'current' bands that would be prepared to spend huge amounts of their own money to save a few dollars for their fans? Throughout their career they have maintained their integrity and clearly love playing live and playing something different every night, Muse and U2 don't have the balls to do that, altough I've never seen either live but people who have say that their shows are almost identical each night. They are an amazing live band, they play every show like its their last and they are very well regarding amongst their peers (including people like Pete Townsend, Neil Young, Ronnie Wood, Tom Petty, Jonny Ramone etc etc), surely that must all count for something?

Your all entiled to your opinions and your more than welcome to post them, after all thats what a forum is for but for me it is a little childish to insult someone just because they like a band that you don't (and I admit to being incredably childish yesterday and for that Blackhole I apologise).

Your all entiled to your opinions and your more than welcome to post them, after all thats what a forum is for but for me it is a little childish to insult someone just because they like a band that you don't (and I admit to being incredably childish yesterday and for that Blackhole I apologise).

I'd prefer someone else, but there are plenty of other cliches to check out :P

They are a bit dull. I lived through them, and they really didn't do it for me when there was that alternative scene exploding in the early 90s anyhow. I did like Temple of the Dog, Sugar and Soundgarden, however. Especially the Soundgarden album that had Rusty Chain and Jesus Christ Pose on it.

I'd prefer someone else, but there are plenty of other cliches to check out :P

They are a bit dull. I lived through them, and they really didn't do it for me when there was that alternative scene exploding in the early 90s anyhow. I did like Temple of the Dog, Sugar and Soundgarden, however. Especially the Soundgarden album that had Rusty Chain and Jesus Christ Pose on it.

Edited by redmosquito

It's hard to imagine how different heavy rock music was before grunge..it was mainly reserved for cliched, permed 80s rubbish then suddenly...bang...To this day I remember listening to Siamese Dream (smashing pumpkins) Superunknown and Gentleman (afghan whigs) and being blown away at the HMV listening post. The era of Grunge changed rock music forever.At the bedrock of these albums was simply strong and often very personal songwriting, that borrowed from other greats, but created something quite new.

Not all typically grunge but....

Nevermind

In Utero

Ten

Vs

Siamese Dream

Melloncollie and the..

Sweet Oblivion (Screaming Trees)

Dirt (Alice in Chains)

Superunknown

Badmotorfinger

Copper Blue (Sugar)

Gentleman

Black Love (both Afghan Whigs)

not to mention Rage against the machine from the same few years..

All incredible albums