Muse

Guest TYLER_4

Hate to say but Muse by the looks of things are becoming one of those annoying 'sell out' bands which started off pretty well but are now trying every gimmick in the book to be one of the biggest bands in the world.

I hope they aren't at glastonbury to honest, they may be good live but I see them as the same as U2, Coldplay, Oasis etc. Another band thats got too big for their own good. :P

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to say but Muse by the looks of things are becoming one of those annoying 'sell out' bands which started off pretty well but are now trying every gimmick in the book to be one of the biggest bands in the world.

I hope they aren't at glastonbury to honest, they may be good live but I see them as the same as U2, Coldplay, Oasis etc. Another band thats got too big for their own good. :P

(i) What one of those annoying bands that is really popular and sell out gigs. What the f**k do you expect them to do!? not publicise their gigs or maybe you'd like them to purposefully sell only half the tickets to make sure its not sold out!

(ii) What are these gimmicks exactly. Doing a stadium tour? Such a gimmick isn't it!? Goddamn those ambitious bastards!

(iii) So you don't want the world's best live acts at Glastonbury?

(iv) you dislike bands just because they are too big!? What if they happen to be good as well? (I admit you have cited some shit bands there, but i don't put Muse in that category ...) You know it is possible to be big and good! e.g. Led Zep, The Beatles, Queen, The Who, etc.. bands who sold out stadiums for fun. They were still good!

i) No I mean, they've just come off the back of selling out massive arena tour in the UK and this time next year they will be doing exactly the same thing except in stadiums. I'm not really a fan of stadium gigs myself and playing Wembley possibly 4 times in 3 years is a bit much.

ii) Nah, doing a stadium tour isn't gimmicky but having three giant towers to stand on which move around during shows is. I haven't seen muse live so I can't really comment but I don't like the thought of bands that try to do much live and have everything planned out to make some sort of theatrical show out of it rather than just playing the godamn songs.

iii) Nope, not that at all. Just don't really want the over hyped and over-publised acts. As I have said, I haven't seen them but they aren't my type of thing, too much pretentiousness.

iv) Nope, not just because they are too big but rather because they get blown completely out of proportion and it becomes annoying to hear about them all the time, especially when there are better acts out there. Just because a lot of people say MUSE ARE THE BEST LIVE BAND EVER, doesn't mean its true.

It happens with most bands, Razorlight a few years ago for example, although admittedly they weren't playing stadiums but they did become massively popular. If i'd been around in the late 80s it would have probably pissed me off to hear about my favourite band, The Cure all the time.

Aye especially those level 5 seats, altough I am in negotiations for reasonable price for standing with someone on ebay atm.

LUL Wut?! They haven't tried anything gimicky they publicised the fact they had tickets on sale today?, they been really good selling these tickets through pre-sales for fans, if you were member you had two chances to get tickets before the advertised date.

i) No I mean, they've just come off the back of selling out massive arena tour in the UK and this time next year they will be doing exactly the same thing except in stadiums. I'm not really a fan of stadium gigs myself and playing Wembley possibly 4 times in 3 years is a bit much.

ii) Nah, doing a stadium tour isn't gimmicky but having three giant towers to stand on which move around during shows is. I haven't seen muse live so I can't really comment but I don't like the thought of bands that try to do much live and have everything planned out to make some sort of theatrical show out of it rather than just playing the godamn songs.

iii) Nope, not that at all. Just don't really want the over hyped and over-publised acts. As I have said, I haven't seen them but they aren't my type of thing, too much pretentiousness.

iv) Nope, not just because they are too big but rather because they get blown completely out of proportion and it becomes annoying to hear about them all the time, especially when there are better acts out there. Just because a lot of people say MUSE ARE THE BEST LIVE BAND EVER, doesn't mean its true.

It happens with most bands, Razorlight a few years ago for example, although admittedly they weren't playing stadiums but they did become massively popular. If i'd been around in the late 80s it would have probably pissed me off to hear about my favourite band, The Cure all the time.

Edited by cejx

Agreed with buying one nearer the time. The gig is in 10 months time! It is just before Christmas and i'll be needing my cash elsewhere. For all stadium shows, it is a piece of piss to get a ticket nearer the time. Also a bonus this time, they have also made all level 1 seats general admission, meaning its even easier to get into the area you want!

To the guy saying Muse have ''sold out'' ... ha grow up ffs.

You're a prime example of alot of people on these boards who dispise anything that gets too popular.

I really don't get it, if something sounds good then why not enjoy it? just because alot of other people think it's cool?

Just a comment in general on this (rather than just about Muse in particular) .....

Isn't it normally the case that when a band does get this popular, it's because they've turned into a crap version of their former selves, and via that attracted a mainstream following?

Using Muse as an example for the moment, there's quite a few posts in this thread or in other Muse ones on these boards saying that their latest album is poor compared to previous ones (I don't know that myself, I've not heard it).

Another example might be RHCP - who again got to their most popular when they were putting out the worst output of their career.

So at least some of that despising comes about off the back of these things.

i) I agree that they are in danger of over exposure

ii) So you've no clue? If I've paid over the odds for a ticket price, I want a damn sight more than just Bellamy warbbling into his mic. and TBH if i'm trudging all the way to Wembley - I want a show.

iii) so how do you know if you've not seen them? Pretentious in ones assumption there?

iv)Are utter shite. I was around in the late 80's and the Cure were not played all the time.

Sorry, but you are talking nonsense.

why u negotiating with someone on ebay man? there are still tcikest available for both dates! even general admission, except u can only get one per card

I tried that on gigsandtours but it tells me they sold out once you get thru and then when you phone up you threes a message saying you can't get them? If you have a way let me know:P

Just a comment in general on this (rather than just about Muse in particular) .....

Isn't it normally the case that when a band does get this popular, it's because they've turned into a crap version of their former selves, and via that attracted a mainstream following?

Using Muse as an example for the moment, there's quite a few posts in this thread or in other Muse ones on these boards saying that their latest album is poor compared to previous ones (I don't know that myself, I've not heard it).

Another example might be RHCP - who again got to their most popular when they were putting out the worst output of their career.

i) Well that was my main point. I liked their first 2 albums and now they're latest two which haven't been as good (imo) have made them massivly popular.

ii) Thats your opinion and I have mine, I personally don't like to see bands that try to put on too much of a show.

iii) Pretentious in the fact that everything is quite obviously planned.

iv) The Cure were selling out stadiums across America in the late 80s and early 90s as well as having very large arena tours in europe. And yes, Razorlight are now utter shite.

My problem with your comments is that you are basing much of your dislike on a band that you've never seen live. Get a ticket and then come back with your opinions. Its just very difficult to take your comments seriously.

Yes this album is a disappointment, and yes they didn't grab me at the 02 last week. However at Wembley 07, they were absolutely incredible... much of it down to the brilliant 'show'.

The Cure were selling out stadiums in the 80's. I went to see them and they were superb, but it didn't make them shit. They started to become shit when Robert Smith disappeared up his own arse and produced crap records - thus they were unable to sell out huge venues.

Razorlight have ALWAYS been shit!!

I'd agree with that. Same goes for the Killers and Kings of Leon :P

I have seen Muse twice, they are a good band - but to keep dubbing them the best live band, come on?! It should be about the music and not dancing and prancing about the stage on spaceships etc

Edited by cejx