car parks could open 8pm tuesday

Guest kevin0410

I guess that the increased time increases the risk. But a huge increase on a risk of almost zero is still almost zero.

I can't see why you think there is any sort of risk. Unless you have a plan to cause a risk somehow, or know of someone that does?

For detention, I want 1000 lines: "Glastonbury Festival is not Reading or Leeds festival". B)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that the increased time increases the risk. But a huge increase on a risk of almost zero is still almost zero.

I can't see why you think there is any sort of risk. Unless you have a plan to cause a risk somehow, or know of someone that does?

For detention, I want 1000 lines: "Glastonbury Festival is not Reading or Leeds festival". :(

I think potentially there are lots of risks

well, yes. George Bush might arrive, pissed off that he's no longer president, and with a nuke hidden under his stetson. But I don't think that's too likely.

, but I do have faith that all this will be considered.

they're experienced people, they'll get it about right.

And if they make it a condition of entry to the car parks early that not following the rules (whatever reasonable rules they state) will lead to confiscation of that person's ticket then I reckon that gives them all the clout they need to ensure that people stay in line.

There are a few unknown factors such as the weather and the numbers that will arrive.

I don't think either of these are a biggie.

well, yes. George Bush might arrive, pissed off that he's no longer president, and with a nuke hidden under his stetson. But I don't think that's too likely.

they're experienced people, they'll get it about right.

And if they make it a condition of entry to the car parks early that not following the rules (whatever reasonable rules they state) will lead to confiscation of that person's ticket then I reckon that gives them all the clout they need to ensure that people stay in line.

I don't think either of these are a biggie.

Can't be bothered to read through all the posts, so all I can say is...

Everyone arriving by CAR gets let in earlier? Not going to happen if we genuinely want a greener festival. Preferential treatment given to HUGE lumps of environmentally unfriendly metal is NOT good IMHO.

How about start the buses from Castle Cary station Tuesday 6pm, cars/camper vans with minimum of 4 people allowed in car parks (and therefore) on site too.

Hey presto, go greener or wait until Wednesday....

Disclaimer: I've had a few on my way home (still celebrating getting ticket!) and feel hard done by as a non-car user to these plans.

Can't be bothered to read through all the posts, so all I can say is...

Everyone arriving by CAR gets let in earlier? Not going to happen if we genuinely want a greener festival. Preferential treatment given to HUGE lumps of environmentally unfriendly metal is NOT good IMHO.

How about start the buses from Castle Cary station Tuesday 6pm, cars/camper vans with minimum of 4 people allowed in car parks (and therefore) on site too.

Hey presto, go greener or wait until Wednesday....

^^^ Yes, but only if it's on a string of course :lol:

I've just been thinking back to an earlier thread which suggested that those using Public Transport various should perhaps get to arrive earlier ... it kinda ended up with loadsa peeps saying "no way cos that's totally elitist and it's just not right that those tree-hugging wannabe do-gooders should get priority over everyone else" or words generally to that effect anyway ;)

How strange that I don't see many similar claims of belletrist treatment in this thread now that it's being suggested that those arriving by private transport various are (sort-of) likely to get priority to arriving on site. Could it possibly be due to a vested interest perhaps ? devil.gif Just feeling a tad naughty BTW, defo not looking for a fight and all that ;)

If it's likely to help then it's all good stuff but I'm still not sure that it will *really* help esp not in the the greater scheme of things. As I said earlier, it seems to me like being way too much of a positive encouragement to use private transport rather than the more necessary incentive to use environmentally sound and sustainable transport wherever and whenever possible. I just have this real bad feeling that if it happens then it could backfire somewhat no matter how much effort/thought is put into making what is considered to be appropriate arrangements.

However, seeing as there will always be a good many peeps who want to arrive early for any one of many different reasons, using that pretty much guaranteed fact to best overall advantage by somehow encouraging the use of Public Transport for early arrivals simply has to be the best option in the long term ... doesn't it ? The prospect of perhaps getting in a tad early is a real good incentive to use Public Transport, it is without doubt positively encouraging the use of Public Transport whilst to a certain extent discouraging Private Transport and hence also reducing potential traffic problems. Whilst I absolutely hate this bl**dy term - it certainly ticks all the boxes IMHO ! Does require shedloads more organisation and planning in order to make it work sensibly in reality mind you whereas the extra £5 on Car Park tix this year probably goes quite a long way towards covering any additional costs etc. for supporting early arrivals by car.

Edited by mikeb

How strange that I don't see many similar claims of belletrist treatment in this thread now that it's being suggested that those arriving by private transport various are (sort-of) likely to get priority to arriving on site. Could it possibly be due to a vested interest perhaps ? devil.gif Just feeling a tad naughty BTW, defo not looking for a fight and all that :lol:

I'd like to see the embarkation points for the festival spread much more widely apart and for there to be a lot of them so people could arrive by car or public transport at strategically chosen locations to minimize traffic jams which could provide better facilities for both cars and buses than the current ones do. From there free bicycles and trailers would be provided so festival goers could stock up on groceries/beer etc at the transport hubs and carry themselves and their luggage easily through traffic free lanes to the festival it's self. Obviously this is just a crazy dream but a dream which somewhere like Glastonbury which supposedly prides it's self on it's green credentials and innovative solutions should be pioneering.

They're just being realistic. It doesn't matter how much they encourage preople to use public transport, there will always the majority (is it?) who either don't care, who have no choice