shocking

Guest crass

Yours was one of the posts I read that made me think. The phrase you used was that that there was no way you'd pick up anyone else's rubbish, or word's to that effect. Well you and others need to think about that. Ask yourself this -

"Why am I refusing to consider the possibility of picking up other people's rubbish?"

Let me know your answer.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm. I refuse to pick up others rubbish because, I have spent 180 quid on a ticket, and where I leave my area how I found it... ie green and clean (if a little flattened), why should others not take a little it of responsibilty, and why the f**k should I clean up after other people... and TBH, I wouldn't know what I was clearing up... Glass (these are the kind of folk that ignore that rule), drugs, shit.... I realise that litter pickers get the shitty end of the stick, but I feel that I stick to my end of the deal by leaving absolutely no trace.

The dickhead that boasted about leaving a 9 man tent, is just a selfish immature twat as far as I'm concerned...

I quite routinely pick up litter on the street, carry it a few dozen metres, then put it in a bin.

But I like to think that's me being extra specially virtuous. I don't think it's anyone's duty (except those who are paid for it). And I don't think it excuses the bastards who dropped it in the first place.

Anecdote: I live near a canal bridge. I saw someone crossing the bridge opening an envelope, reading its contents, then stuffing the whole lot through the railings so it fell in the canal. I didn't say anything. I wish I had. What I wish I'd said is that he *knew* that littering was unacceptable, which is why he stuffed it through the railing instead of dropping it on the floor. So why did he think littering the canal was better? Especially since there was a bin just down the street.

Dammit, that was months ago, I still think I should have had a slanging match with him right there.

These are general comments, I'm not trying to single anyone out, but would you accept that these reasons and others that people may offer here are all going to be selfish? This is what I mean by being one step away from the selfishness of the litter droppers. By refusing to pick up rubbish dropped by others you are just less selfish than those who you are criticising, but still you are acting selfishly. If you spent ten short minutes a day litter picking you would be contributing something to the Festival experience and if others followed your lead the whole festival experience would be improved for everyone even those you blame for the litter problems. Most of all acting in an unselfish way for 10 minutes a day would be highly enlightening experience for most people as it is something that the majority of people have never tried.

(If you came across glass or other dangerous items, just leave them where they are and inform a camping warden)

What I actually said was;

Shame you didn't go to the effort to look for the original post.

I don't know why you feel the need to paint the people here who generally try and do the right thing, the same as the insensitive jerks who we are talking about.

Go get a hobby.

I'm not trying to paint everyone as being the same. What I am saying is that we are acting with degrees of selfishness and the least selfish thing to do would be to voluntarily pick some of the rubbish up regardless of who dropped it, rather than refusing to because you might get laughed at or because you'd paid money for a ticket etc. etc. Positive action, free from self interest is always good and is far more productive than just criticising those who were acting less selfishly than you and lets face it are extremely unlikely to be reading this anyway.

Yours was one of the posts I read that made me think. The phrase you used was that that there was no way you'd pick up anyone else's rubbish, or word's to that effect. Well you and others need to think about that. Ask yourself this -

"Why am I refusing to consider the possibility of picking up other people's rubbish?"

Let me know your answer.

:(

It is very easy to moan about other people being pigs, which is what most of you are doing here. The simple fact is that you are never going to stop others being pigs by just criticising them even if you did it face to face. If you demonstrate alternative, unselfish behaviour to the norm then others will take notice. They won't all stop being pigs but some will think for a moment and that is a seed that might change them in the long run.

hmmm. I refuse to pick up others rubbish because, I have spent 180 quid on a ticket, and where I leave my area how I found it... ie green and clean (if a little flattened), why should others not take a little it of responsibilty, and why the f**k should I clean up after other people... and TBH, I wouldn't know what I was clearing up... Glass (these are the kind of folk that ignore that rule), drugs, shit.... I realise that litter pickers get the shitty end of the stick, but I feel that I stick to my end of the deal by leaving absolutely no trace.

surely, demonstrating the alternative, is actually leading by example... thus picking up your own rubbish. I'm sorry, but if you do it for them, I think they'll be even less inclined to do it... which clearly they are, leaving it to the poor sods who come in at the end of the festival.

Storm is dead right... and it seems in your eyes.. you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. All opinions welcome and all that, but I think your views are a little off kilter.

Very Very sad. I did clear up for my group but then left waste bags in situ, should have taken then to some central point but not clear where.

Not sure what you can do about it, from the video it does not seem to be a issue of a small minority, looks like at least 50%. We all go camping to official camp sites and never see anything like this

ME could make some regular announcements on main stages over the weekend but that goes against the G tradition of freedom which makes the festival so unique. There are never any public anouncements and we do not expect ME lectures all weekend, but maybe we need them.

Need some good ideas.

I don't think a reminder to take your rubbish with you at the end of each set would hurt.

To be honest I usually drop my cans and cups during a set and pick up the equivalent on the way out. Sometimes i forget, then when i remember i pick up more another time.

An announcement wouuld help me not to forget that i dropped a couple of things while i was enjoying that band.

Who knows - this may even have some ongoing effects on campsites too. Once people get the idea that it's supposed to be an ecologically frriendly festival rather than a tip, they may do more.

Right. I have a friend who runs a small litter and recycling crew, and I do some work for him. We have been discussing the idea of recycling the tents at Glastonbury, and making a viable tender, that will not cost GFL any money.

I work there anyway, and he can get work there as well. A premise at the moment is for myself and him be allowed on site with our vechiles from say 2pm on the Monday. We will have a trailer as well. Over a couple of days we could salvage as many servicable tents as possible, essentially recyling spare parts etc. The only problem we have is what to do with the contaminated or unservicable tents. Thats what the trailers is for, but they would still go to landfill. As we work at a number of festivals, we can cannablise spares from other tents and at the end of the season sell them on.

However problems. We are considering the tender to take off their hands all of the tents from GFL or Network or whomever, but with 2 of us it may take 3 or 4 days in bad weather. Also a place to dry out tents and work on cleaning needs to identified and be cost effective. Also the landfill duties. Been experienced tatters we know that we can expect around 45 to 60 % of the tents been servicable, and the rest would be landfill, unless we can ID a material reprocessor. Also a market for the tents, especially to make it a viable option. Ebay would seem the best way forward but we would need to filter the tents over a time span rather than flooding the market. At other festivals we have donated, or tried to, to scout groups etc, but the quality of the tents usually left is very poor, and not fit for purpose for many of them.

Anyway, if we decide to press forward I will keep you informed.

Edited by Rufus Gwertigan

It is a real pity that the Millets Tent Exchange program was not heavily publicised at this years Glasto :rolleyes:

See following info: (apologies if this has been presented before)

HOW THE OFFER WORKS...

Start by bringing in your old tent. Any size tent is accepted. Buy your new tent and you'll receive a voucher entitling you to 20% off the purchase price.Complete the voucher with your details and have the option of WER sending you updates on the campaign and how the tents are being used. (Your details will not be divulged to any other companies or organisations store or at a later date OR donate the 20% direct to the WER charity (see in store for details).

YOUR TENT WILL GO OVERSEAS TO PROTECT AND SHELTER THOSE WHO NEED OUR HELP THE MOST.

Bring in your old tent and it will be going to a good home. In fact, it will become a home for children and their families in needy countries around the world. Your tent will make a real difference, helping to provide urgent shelter for victims of natural and man-made disasters in any part of the globe. Our partners, World Emergency Relief (WER), provide support and relief supplies to Africa, Asia, the Americas and Eastern Europe and have helped survivors of the Pakistan earthquakes, the Asian Tsunami, the Myanmar Cyclones and many more. So take a few minutes to dig out that old tent at home and bring it in. You really will help save lives. Bring in your old tent, buy a new one and we'll give you a 20% off voucher which you can redeem immediately - or at a later date by using your voucher against the price of your new tent.

Alternatively, you can donate the 20% saving direct to WER (see in store for details).

Edited by DaveMac

I just spotted my tent in that video :lol: , although i did put my rubbish in bags i may add

It just shows how disgusting and lazy us Brits have become, this throwaway nation. This beautiful island, this is a nationwide problem, the attitude is "Oh somebody else will pick it up" not my problem.

You know what, I love my country and I feel very ashamed of how it is becoming. You have to look hard for respect and care.

I have had my tent for over ten years now I wouldn't dream of dumping it like that, i find it very upsetting.

I don't know maybe with registering for a ticket you have have to register your tent as well. The tent has a ID number or transaction number (a bit like when buying a TV you have to give your details for the licence).

This has to be entered when purchasing your ticket or tickets, each person must enter a tent ID. So any tent left behind there will be some way of finding its owner and can be charged a disposal fee or can come back and pick it up, Lazy B*****ds. And the big names should be charged accordingly for each tent that is dumped.

Some New Forest campsites have had the problem of dumped camping gear and these are families, what on earth are we teaching the next generation.

I know it is quite a logistic feat but i am sure it can be done.

We can go on blaming the big names that sell cheap Tat, whilst exploiting the needy, If we could get people to use and reuse attitude there will not be the market for the throwaway tent.

It is down to us, not somebody else, "US"

i am not saying this is right so don't pounce...

But I think part of the reason that so much gets left behind is that people are desperate to get to the car parks as quickly as possible in order to try and get out before the mayhem starts!! which means one trip, and stupidly early after a heavy night. Mates of ours got to the car parks at 6am after about 3 hours kip and had to sit in their car for 6 hours!

This year didnt help as it absoluetly launched it down around 5.30 when people were packing up.

its not an excuse but I think this does contribute to the amount of crap left behind.

It just shows how disgusting and lazy us Brits have become, this throwaway nation. This beautiful island, this is a nationwide problem, the attitude is "Oh somebody else will pick it up" not my problem.

You know what, I love my country and I feel very ashamed of how it is becoming. You have to look hard for respect and care.

I have had my tent for over ten years now I wouldn't dream of dumping it like that, i find it very upsetting.

I don't know maybe with registering for a ticket you have have to register your tent as well. The tent has a ID number or transaction number (a bit like when buying a TV you have to give your details for the licence).

This has to be entered when purchasing your ticket or tickets, each person must enter a tent ID. So any tent left behind there will be some way of finding its owner and can be charged a disposal fee or can come back and pick it up, Lazy B*****ds. And the big names should be charged accordingly for each tent that is dumped.

Some New Forest campsites have had the problem of dumped camping gear and these are families, what on earth are we teaching the next generation.

I know it is quite a logistic feat but i am sure it can be done.

We can go on blaming the big names that sell cheap Tat, whilst exploiting the needy, If we could get people to use and reuse attitude there will not be the market for the throwaway tent.

It is down to us, not somebody else, "US"

Oh c'mon it happens at all festivals, it wasn't any worse last year. Of course people are gonna leave shit behind, and it got completely cleaned up in the end. Our group put all our rubbish into bags and we even recycled a couple of tents (packed em up and took them home) that people had left, but i dont think its so bad, people willl have to clean stuff up anyway.

Though shitting in a tent is too much, that shit is just wrong.