Pinnacle of listening - Can I hear anything better!?!

Guest crapfrenchcars

Last Friday after seeing Neil Young I think I saw and heard the best performance I might ever see. I think its gonna be hard to beat.

Neil Young is the one, if not one of my favorite artists. I'd seen him before but last Friday's stuff actually dropped my jaw. It was for me something else.

Going on from that I started thinking if there was much point watching anything else! Of course I did but I could not really get into it as much else the next day. I really enjoyed Pete Doherty and Jarvis the next day, but not at the same level, and then Blur made my ears tell me there is music worth listening to. They were brilliant but not as good as Neil Young, which was something else.

Will I ever match that height of Neil Young? If I do I am pretty sure it will have to be at Glasto. Not sure who it will be though. Really hope I've not peaked already!

Anyone else think they may have seen someone who can't be bettered!?

After The Streets we made a very shambling walk back to camp to get some clothes on for the evening and overheard Neil Young doing Rockin In The Free World and A Day In The The Life. Sounded alright, if you like that kind of thing. Myself, I prefer my music without the waistcoats and attendant gutar solos.

*shrugs*

An infrequent contributor to this board but..... As an old git and Neil Young fan I'm most probably a bit biased but I really did think that NY gave one of his best ever performances and set the crowd alight. It also appeared that he genuinely enjoyed giving that performance as well! But of course, each to his or her own.

Last Friday after seeing Neil Young I think I saw and heard the best performance I might ever see. I think its gonna be hard to beat.

Neil Young is the one, if not one of my favorite artists. I'd seen him before but last Friday's stuff actually dropped my jaw. It was for me something else.

Going on from that I started thinking if there was much point watching anything else! Of course I did but I could not really get into it as much else the next day. I really enjoyed Pete Doherty and Jarvis the next day, but not at the same level, and then Blur made my ears tell me there is music worth listening to. They were brilliant but not as good as Neil Young, which was something else.

Will I ever match that height of Neil Young? If I do I am pretty sure it will have to be at Glasto. Not sure who it will be though. Really hope I've not peaked already!

Neil Young was amazing. Unfortunately he suffered from a bit of a slow start after Hey Hey My My and lost my interest a little. But it picked up big-time towards the end. I was a bit disappointed he left out Old Man, Pocahontas, Cortez, Harvest & After The Goldrush though. Those are probably my favourite NY tracks and they weren't there at all.

So yes, very good. But far from perfect. Bruce and Blur both edged him for me IMO.

I'd never really liked Neil Young, but have gradually been getting into him as my mate is a big fan and seen him live loads. I listened to a fair bit in the run up to the Fest, and have to say I was completely blown away.

I had tears in my eyes for Hey Hey My My and also Mansion on the Hill which was especially fitting for Glastonbury - farmhouse on the hill - "psychedelic music fills the air" etc.. He did meander a bit mid set, and the 5 or 6 reprises (?) of Rockin in the Free world were a bit excessive, but overall it was awesome. I can't stop listening to "Needle & The Damage Done" since getting back.

Disappointed there was no Old Man or Cortez too, but he does play it intermittently. Shame Paul McCartney didn't join him for Day in the Life like he did at Hyde Park the following day!

Only caught half an hour of him in between The Streets and Doves but from what I saw he was very good although did anyone else think that Hey Hey My My could have done with being faster?

I'm with Monsieur Crapfrenchcars on this one.

Ok, I'm an old git and a NY fan, and was expecting great things...but the old man surpassed even my hopes. He was superb. A brilliant set (even without Old Man, Hurricane, Powderfinger, Cortez - probably my four favourites, but that really didn't matter). The sound was perfect, the grin on his face spoke volumes, and he blew me away.

I've been going to gigs, 6-12x a year, for 32 years, and Friday night at Glastonbury 2009 was the best, the VERY best I have been to.

Not everybody's cup of tea, obviously, but definitely mine.

I agree, NY was spectacular, a properly awesome festival set, filled with well loved songs, intimate moments and just pure rocking joy. After seeing him, anyone else I saw was a bonus, he was worth my whole festival ticket!

Went only knowing a couple of songs, but thought he was fantastic. Shame he didn't play f**kin' Up tho.